Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disappointed about my konica hexanon 1.7/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Disappointed about my konica hexanon 1.7/50 Reply with quote

Hi ?

I just tried my new lens.
Stop down, it is quite sharp.

But wide open, there is a sort of flare, like a halo, around the subject.

I have no fungus or what !

Any ideas ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h'mm stopped down it should be very sharp....if you were using film I'd say a scanning problem but for digital I'll leave that to others.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using it on my nex 5r.
Just reduced to 800x600 for the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on film, here are some snaps to show the Hexanon 50mm f1.7 can cope for close up work as well as distance, and can't see why you shouldn't get similar or even better results on a good digital camera as these film shots are low supermarket scan.

Ibiza Hexanon 50mm f1.7

Bit of mis-focus on the stamens but you can get an idea by looking at the leaves on LHS

AAMOI stopped down there is not much difference between the 50mm f1.7 and f1.4 and 40mm f1.8, and it would need a large crop to show more differences in detail between the lenses.
Hexanon 50mm f1.4

Hexanon 40mm f1.8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointed about my konica hexanon 1.7/50 Reply with quote

kiruajon wrote:
Any ideas ?

Looks ok to me. Watch your plane of focus at f1.7. Try a flat subject for evaluation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointed about my konica hexanon 1.7/50 Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
kiruajon wrote:
Any ideas ?

Looks ok to me. Watch your plane of focus at f1.7. Try a flat subject for evaluation.

+1

Your depth of field is too narrow. I'm beginning to realise the same thing with my longer focal length lenses when I try to focus onto subjects that are far away. In your case, you are at minimum focal distance and wide open. You are pushing the limits of your lens. The exact same happens with zoom lenses when focussing at distant subjects.

Bille is right! Try focusing on a flat subject and you should be able to nail proper focus to asses the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7/50 is the sharpest of all the Konica 50s and one of the sharpest lenses around, at f4 it can slice your eyeballs!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointed about my konica hexanon 1.7/50 Reply with quote

kiruajon wrote:

But wide open, there is a sort of flare, like a halo, around the subject.

This is quite normal with fast film lenses when used wide open on digital. I can't think of any of the many c. 50mm lens that I have with a max aperture faster than f2 that doesn't show this effect. (Minolta, Zuiko, Rollei, Pentax etc etc all show it). They all improve a lot one stop down from max aperture. Only the Helios 44-2 would I consider generally usable wide open (but it is only f2 anyway).

The effect is not limited to 50mm-ish lenses either. But most of my other lenses are not faster than f2.8 so the problem is not as obvious. The exception is my MIR 24H 35mm f2 which is remarkably free from this effect at wide open.

I do have the Konica 50mm f1.7 and also 50mm f1.4. Both have strong glow wide open, especially the f1.4. Both are excellent stopped down. The f1.4 might be the sharpest lens that I have at f2.8 (my sample is better than my f1.7, but that is also a very sharp lens). But I would not use either wide open (unless I wanted a special effect).

The big advantage of a modern lens designed for use with digital is absence of this glow. I have 20mm f1.7, 25mm f1.4 and 45mm f1.8 for micro-4/3 and they are all 100% useable wide open.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either your lens has faulty, or did you focus faulty.. do you use any focusing aid tool ? simple peak focusing on rear LCD usually not enough to find proper focus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks all of you for your answers.

It appears to be normal to have a halo wide open indeed.

It´s a wonderful lens (said to be the best 50mm ever made).

Soon I will samples of my konica lenses (1.7/50, 2.8/24, 2.8/35 and 4/70-150).

I use focus peaking and magnification to focus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay take this tool to see magnified LCD screen and look image in darkness even on bright day light, it will increase success ratio a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on my wishing list. And maybe the evf if I have enough money....

Does it exist a long focal lens(or a zoom) as sharp as this hexanon ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Click here to see on Ebay take this tool to see magnified LCD screen and look image in darkness even on bright day light, it will increase success ratio a lot.

I get a little pissed at not getting the focus just right too. Thanks Attila I've just ordered one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I'm interested, but can't see the item (restriction with my country, through it's the same as kiruajon Rolling Eyes ). What is the name of the item (to find it with bay research tool)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCD View Finder Viewer Extender for Sony E NEX-5 NEX-3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the continued off topic but does it fit the NEX-5N as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using one regularly on my 5N. Only disadvantage is that it limits lcd tilting, since the metal frame is screwed in the tripod mount - on my version, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Attila wrote:

I'm interested, but can't see the item (restriction with my country, through it's the same as kiruajon Rolling Eyes ). What is the name of the item (to find it with bay research tool)

To continue off topic, what does diopter correction offer ?
I'm myopic, I have ni problem to focus with the lcd screen.

Is it a big lack on this viewfinder ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Loupe that Attila linked to but it's to small to fit the NEX 6 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
LCD View Finder Viewer Extender for Sony E NEX-5 NEX-3

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the dioptre correction of this hood/viewer, I have one, never adjusted it, it works fine and I wear strong prescription glasses as I am severely myopic. The viewer works very well, I would recommend it for longer lenses and when very bright sunlight causes a problem with screen viewing. I don't use mine very often as I rarely shoo longer lenses and the sun in Northern England is rarely present, let alone bright. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I've just noticed it, but I can't focus to infinity with my hexanon lenses.

I can't believe all of them are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila,
Just received one of those cheap viewfinders and i can only recommend it.
This thing is awesome - resolution as good as my VF-2 electronic viewfinder and maybe even better.
The only drawback is the size and that the lcd will not twist when you mount it on the camera, but other than that it's like day and night Smile. No distortion of the image, no additional CA's - just great and for only a small fraction of the EVF cost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiruajon wrote:
Thanks.

I've just noticed it, but I can't focus to infinity with my hexanon lenses.

I can't believe all of them are broken.

If all lenses don't focus to infinity, probably means your adapter sucks Smile
Try a 'prost' adapter on ebay cost next to nothing and I find it to be the best of the (cheap) adapters. Great build quality and fit.
I do like the 1.7 50 from konica, but the sentence after the line below explains why. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:
i never likes this lens.

Why you don't like it ? I like all 50mm lenses.