Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New adapter coming for Contax-G lenses ......
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: New adapter coming for Contax-G lenses ...... Reply with quote

Friends, save your money. Hopefully this will work in a proper way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W8z-reipdO8

Estimated price should be around 300 US-$

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will even make a sense to buy a Nex again because of this adapter Smile
Let see when it will be available and what lenses will work with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know all lenses without 21mm and 16mm (21mm you must remove the lens protection)

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.deo-tech.com/

$299 .. let see what will the first users report.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
I love Contax G lenses, I will have to buy them again Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally the updated version of the AF adapter is available for preorder again:

http://www.mxcamera.com/DEO/product_info.php?products_id=52

I have ordered one and it should arrive in 1-2 months.
Btw this new texture looks a little bit flashy - it's good that it is not visible when lens is mounted Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your results. In the video the AF looks painfully slow with the adapter, a couple of seconds from button press to the acquisition. That does not look very useful to me, but of course the video is not a substitute for personal experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they going to make one without AF? That's the last thing I would want, AF!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
And finally the updated version of the AF adapter is available for preorder again:

http://www.mxcamera.com/DEO/product_info.php?products_id=52

I have ordered one and it should arrive in 1-2 months.
Btw this new texture looks a little bit flashy - it's good that it is not visible when lens is mounted Laughing

This adapter is designed by kpliang(responsible for the electrical part) and Yeenon (responsible for the mechanical part and finishing). If you have not ordered, I can buy you one for the same price and send it to you within this week...... Maybe I should ask Yeenon see if they need a distributor for worldwide. Wink

Yeenon Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.com/yeenon-china .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin - i have payed it already,but how can you get it so fast - you have some special relations with the manufacturer?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Thanks Calvin - i have payed it already,but how can you get it so fast - you have some special relations with the manufacturer?

I buy the first adapter made by Yeenon many years ago so I am their VIP Laughing ......... They have listed in their e-shop already. mxcamera is no more than a reseller so they may not able to get the first batch. Check you PM too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian,
There are lots of adapters without AF - that's why this is special. The contax G lenses were never a manual foculs lenses and they are not very convenient to focus with the existing adapters.
That one on the other hand has also assisted MF with a small wheel and that will bring lot more useability to those nice lenses on Nex.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Are they going to make one without AF? That's the last thing I would want, AF!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Stefan, that makes sense, I was a bit confused about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems they are on eBay since 10 Junly. $295 with free shipping.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally received it - the second version with the shiny markings Very Happy

Very good adapter - small light and precise.
Easy to fit the lenses on it, and much easier to focus than any other adapters i had including Kipon and Metabones.
The assisted manual focus is awesome and very precise.

It even focuses automatically - not precise every time but generally OK for me.

Now i need to raise money for the last prime i still miss: the 45mm Planar Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! is this only for sony or is it available for other mounts?
tony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for Sony unfortunately - I would love to have it for m4/3.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing with the adapter for a while seems that the AF on it is not really reliable.
The longer the lens the more incorrect is the auto focus. My Nex 5n seems to get the focus confirmed but the target is blurred.
This is most pronounced with the 90mm Sonnar - it goes off a lot regardless of the aperture set 2.8 or 5.6.
I have tried to adjust the AF (there are special aperture settings to adjust AF accuracy on the adapter) but still i can't do it - it gets close but not enough.

So 21, 28 and 35mm are acceptable but with the 90mm if you focus manually it's much better than AF.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was close to try this out...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong - it's an excellent adapter.
I think the reason is in the Nex focusing algorithm and not in the adapter itself, and the other lenses except the 90mm sonnar are focusing quite precise. Maybe the focusing zone is too big - couldn't find any option to make it smaller.
Also i can't figure out how to make the AF assist light to turn on 5n.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some user reported the G90 does not hit the focus in their Contax camera especially the G1. If you cannot find it focus properly with the AF adjustment(F29-51 and F64-90) and center AF, then you have to live with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin,
do you know if the fine focus adjustments are specific for the lens attached currently or it is applied for all lenses?
In exif i see the focal length so the adapter can recognize which lens is mounted.

Also in the instructions it s mentioned that you can disable the AEL lock in order to have metering adjusting if you close aperture while half pressing the shutter button but i can't find such option in 5n do you know if there is such?

PS: And a bit of warning - before mounting the Contax G lenses to adapter first be sure to check that the aperture index is pointing not to f22 but to the right end outside of the f scale. Otherwise you can damage the AF contacts in the adapter - i almost got one of the pins bent. If it doesn't want to mount don't force it - try to rotate the aperture ring till the end counterclockwise and then try again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Hi Calvin,
do you know if the fine focus adjustments are specific for the lens attached currently or it is applied for all lenses?
In exif i see the focal length so the adapter can recognize which lens is mounted.

Also in the instructions it s mentioned that you can disable the AEL lock in order to have metering adjusting if you close aperture while half pressing the shutter button but i can't find such option in 5n do you know if there is such?

PS: And a bit of warning - before mounting the Contax G lenses to adapter first be sure to check that the aperture index is pointing not to f22 but to the right end outside of the f scale. Otherwise you can damage the AF contacts in the adapter - i almost got one of the pins bent. If it doesn't want to mount don't force it - try to rotate the aperture ring till the end counterclockwise and then try again.

Q1. I do not know as I do not have the adapter nor any G lens. You should ask the person who sell you the adapter. FYI, the G35-70 will be recognize as G21.

Q2. Our NEX 5N does not have the "AEL w/ shutter" option which only found on latest NEXs like the NEX-5R. It will always considered as it ON. That means the exposure will be fixed when you half-press the shutter for AF. You have to adjust the aperture on NEX to match with the aperture of the lens if you want to have correct exposure.

Last edited by calvin83 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You have to adjust the aperture on NEX to match with the aperture of the lens if you want to have correct exposure.

Thank you that really works
Very Happy

So let say you want to take a picture at f8

- dial f8 on the nex in A mode,
- lens is wide open
- half press and hold until focus gets confirmed (lens focuses wide open)
- while you hold the shutter button close the lens till f8
- press shutter button till the end

And you get a perfectly exposed frame.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one way to ensure proper exposure, Even the lens is set to F8 before you focus, you may still able to get a decent AF accuracy on bright objects as the NEX use contrast detection AF.