Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 2.5/105 on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Komura 2.5/105 on 5D Reply with quote

Here are a few shots with the Komura on 5D, mainly to contrast with my earlier Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar shots.

A crop from the above shot:

These are quite nice, but in view of the fact that the corresponding shots with the Radionar were taken with a 2x TC, the Radionar seems to give a pretty good account of itself - being an uncoated pre-WWII lens.

The same with the Radionar (without the TC, exposure and contrast adjusted)

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting shots. Of course the Komura has better contrast, but the bokeh of the Radionar wins easily.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, those colours are pleasant - not too saturated, not too pale. Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Interesting shots. Of course the Komura has better contrast, but the bokeh of the Radionar wins easily.

The Komura shot is at f/4, the Radionar at f/4.5 but focused slightly nearer. At the PP stage, quite a lot can be done for the contrast when starting from RAW, and I've tried - in a hurry - to bring the Radionar shot near the Komura shot. On my darkish screen, the contrast on the statue is more natural in the Radionar shot and maybe a wee bit excessive in the Komura shot.

The Komura is a good lens, perhaps not quite a Zeiss or a Leitz or a Nikkor, but good anyhow. However, comparing the photos taken with it with the photos taken with the "ancient" and simple Radionar we must ask how much difference does the technical superiority really make in photographic terms. The Komura is a good lens, technically without doubt better than the Radionar, but if I had to choose one, I'd certainly still choose the Radionar.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hey, those colours are pleasant - not too saturated, not too pale. Nice!

Well, the colours depend on many things - the lens, the exposure, the sensor, the RAW conversion and the postprocessing one does. The first thing to keep in mind is that no RAW converter is perfect - just like no film is perfect. Presently I use LightZone, which best suites my workflow, but I'm still juggling with the settings for my "standard" profile, trying to find a good general starting point for the finishing touches.

Veijo