Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax SMC M 24-35mm F3.5 on film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Pentax SMC M 24-35mm F3.5 on film Reply with quote

Well I don't use this lens much as I've only got a Centon K100 for this mount. And from my results (which I'm happy with) you can't always judge a lens from shots of a brick wall. All shots dev and scanned at a supermarket with corrections to their scans (which are usually overdone for prints)...in Photoshop

Pentax zoom 24-35mm set at 28mm, film superia 200

Rikenon XR 28mm f2.8 for comparison, film superia 200

Pentax 24mm-35mm maybe a bit over saturated but I like pretty shots on the right subject, superia 200

Pentax 24mm-35mm Superia 200

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks okay but not upto a prime I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It looks okay but not upto a prime I think.

Well I'd be surprised if it was as good as a recommended prime.

But just for interest for a lens you dislike (I'm open minded):-

Sigma 28mm mini-wide II

Last edited by Excalibur on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a magenta cast on that Sigma shot, scanning issue?

I disliked my copy, but with Sigma, that doesn't mean much, they weren't known for their QC or consistency.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's a magenta cast on that Sigma shot, scanning issue?

Should be corrected ? H'mm on comparing the two shots it look like the Pentax lens shot has a slight yellow cast..OH well Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, colours look spot on now. Just wondered if you knew what was at fault, I often get magenta casts scanning C41 and never been sure if it was the film or the scanner. Easy enough to fix of course.

Your Sigma is clearly better than mine was, mine had noticeable drop off in quality in the corners.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yup, colours look spot on now. Just wondered if you knew what was at fault, I often get magenta casts scanning C41 and never been sure if it was the film or the scanner. Easy enough to fix of course.

Your Sigma is clearly better than mine was, mine had noticeable drop off in quality in the corners.

If a film is old it can give a colour cast, but most problems are caused by the scanner esp grain\aliasing\haloes...that's why many of the colour neg film shots shown look a bit grainy, unless you use a very good pro lab.