Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 3.5/50mm with problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 3.5/50mm with problem Reply with quote

I recently purchased this Tessar lens along with the camera. It works fine except it does not reach infinity focus.
Is there any way to fix this problem?
Here is the camera and some photos. Click on images for larger size. Hope not too many. Embarassed
BTW, photos taken with Canon T3.

This last one was shot at infinity.. after this everything gets blurry.

Last edited by uddhava on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not fix. You might loose this awesomeness. Very nice samples!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Do not fix. You might loose this awesomeness. Very nice samples!

Glad you liked the photos.Very Happy This lens has a nice character to it.
Maybe you are right. I like this lens a lot, I have plenty of lenses that reach infinity, and there is a chance
I could spoil it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could not figure out what possibly you could spoil when adjusting focusing ring to allow lens reach infinity.
I didn't do it on tessar, but just recently I adjust focusing ring on Pentax-M 50 1.7 and EBC Fujinon 55 1.8 and it actually took me about 20minutes per lens.

General idea is simple:
1. Take off front bezel with writings on it.
2. Locate and loosen screws that holds focusing ring to one of the helicoid's parts.
3. Turn the focusing ring from infinity sign, better do it in small steps.
4. Lock the screws that holds focusing ring.
5. Check if it is ok, if not, repeat from step 2. (I made about 3-4 adjustments per lens until I sett infinity spot on)
6. Put the front bezel in place (on Pentax it was easy to unscrew and put in place while using ruber bathtub plug, on Fujinon it was glued together with front ring and was easy to unscrew with 3 screws).

What I'm thinking you cannot spoil image results by doing so, only you put lens to it's proper working order. For both of my lenses it was worth it and it wasn't complicated.

Maybe some tessar users could put some more light into the topic as it your lens could have a little different constructional solutions. However, general idea of adjusting focus ring should be the same.

Nevertheless, nice photos, rich colours and sharpness, really like it.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples indeed.

For my little experience in opening them, jena lenses are not exactly straightforward in their build, so the risk of not being able to put it back together, if you're not an expert, is there.

It seems a really nice lens, and the good characteristics shown here should be more evident in medium to short range usage, so it may be ok to use it like that.

If infinity is not reached by little, you could also try and sacrifice an adapter, by sanding it down till you compensate for infinity - even if you mess this up you'll just have to throw away a cheap adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Nice samples indeed.

For my little experience in opening them, jena lenses are not exactly straightforward in their build, so the risk of not being able to put it back together, if you're not an expert, is there.

It seems a really nice lens, and the good characteristics shown here should be more evident in medium to short range usage, so it may be ok to use it like that.

If infinity is not reached by little, you could also try and sacrifice an adapter, by sanding it down till you compensate for infinity - even if you mess this up you'll just have to throw away a cheap adapter.

I agree with Aanything don't open the lens. The quality and drawing of the image are beautiful. Don't risk spoiling the lens by inexpertly opening it and trying to repair it. I have lost 3 lenses that way. The adapter sanding sounds the least destructive way of getting round the problem.

Good luck and beautiful pictures BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I won't try to to fix the lens then. I am not so good at this type of thing any way. I do like this lens
very much as it is also.