Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying out the Pentacon 50/1.8 ............
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Trying out the Pentacon 50/1.8 ............ Reply with quote

1.Childs play

2. Coming home.........

Edited in photoshop cs4
3. Bokeh

All photos taken with the sont Nex3

Last edited by raay04 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[please note the comment I was replying to has since been deleted]

Either somebody in this thread is a troll or just magnificently tactless.

I think most would agree that wide open the Pentacon/Oreston is a bit soft, and I think that is represented here rather than a lack of focus. Stopped down to 2.8 it is a very sharp lens. I would enjoy seeing more examples at different f stops, the Oreston is one of my favorites.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Either somebody in this thread is a troll or just magnificently tactless.

I think most would agree that wide open the Pentacon/Oreston is a bit soft, and I think that is represented here rather than a lack of focus. Stopped down to 2.8 it is a very sharp lens. I would enjoy seeing more examples at different f stops, the Oreston is one of my favorites.

yes all images were taken wide open , and all in low light condition!!! yes the first photo is bit out of focus ,but i dont write comments like "uninteresting ,pointless "etc ,cause may be i just appreciate the effort made by others with a manual focus lens!!!! we r not shooting AF here !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this lens in several versions, good one but never really convinced me a lot so I sold all of them, first picture yes hand is soft and is clear the focus is on the mobile screen, second one I really like the atmosphere and colors, very good effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did delete comments what I think was not polite enough. Nice pictures I like all of them , surelly sharp images are a techically minimum worth to listen and don't push always poor lenses to wide open. Bokeh will same good at F2-F4 especially if background has distance.
Worth to re-shoot them if you can but not wide open and use focusing aid, tripod etc. Critics have place here at every forum just polite much as we can. We can learn from each other a lot, main goal of this forum... harsh , in-polite words certainly not helps to learn and enjoy each other company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pictures are all beautiful, they have vibrance and life, they make me want to visit India, so who gives a flying toss if the Pentacon 1.8/50 isn't the sharpest lens wide open. It renders beautifully with a bokeh that is smooth and creamy. I own a lot of 50s, including some expensive sought-after ones However, I still own a Pentacon 1.8/50 and use it sometimes, because it's a very good lens in it's own right.

I think that some people need to remember or perhaps be politely reminded that IQ and lens performance are far less important than aesthetics and artistic vision when it comes to making beautiful pictures.

I mean, you wouldn't go and stare at the roof of the Cistine Chapel and criticise the brushwork, would you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post - if not disturbing anybody - one shot with the Pentacon MC 1.8 M42 to hook the thread a little bit more:

PES-0598676_shd por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

For my style of photo it's a very decent lens. Not sharp WO as one may want, but with in the price range it is, who cares? For me it's a "must have" lens. It's a lens to carry for aggressive environments also, rainy outdoor shots, and so on, when it's risky to expose more expensive glasses,

[]s,

RSalles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentacon 50mm is one of the best and cheapest around, highly recommended

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Renato, thank you! Indeed inexpensive lens with not cheap quality at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-> RSalles:
What an interesting shot! My mind said "oh, white balance must be totally off
for that photo". But it was not Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank U , everyone!!! And Posts from this lens on this thread are always welcome !!! The lighting condition was really low so i used wide open aperture , didn t carry a tripod as was just visiting my Aunts house ,the little boy is my Aunts grandson!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made a few studio like portraits for a friend of mine with this lens ,here is one of them shot at F4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got some pictures already seen around here but as I said before really good lens Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20133/big_6610_Pentacon_50mm_F28m_1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first MF lenses i ever put on a digital body, and still up there with my favorites! Have them in various versions, and the original Meyer Oreston as well.

Just to show you it can produce nice pics wide open:

White by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

But you can actually use it anywhere for anything:

de Havilland DH-82A by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great shots in this thread, folks!

I don't know where this reputation that Pentacon 50/1.8 is a meh lens or not sharp wide open came from. It's as good as a good 50/1.8 is supposed to be. The only fault of this lens is still being relatively cheap Laughing Some of my shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't my favourite lens by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't dislike it. I just like my other 50's more, so the Pentacon 50 rarely gets used, which is a shame because it's a very solid performer. This picture is just resized, it's ISO400 @ 1/250 - I don't know what aperture. It's sharp, there's no visible fringing ( although other pictures I have from the lens does show fringing but it's not at all excessive and easily removed ) and it's a nicely built lens. What's not too like ?

I like raay04's pictures, show us more. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
... IQ and lens performance are far less important than aesthetics and artistic vision when it comes to making beautiful pictures.

Not everyone shares this view. Some commercial picture buyers and audiences demand a basic technical competence and a minimum image quality before even considering aesthetics and artistic vision.

Quote:
I mean, you wouldn't go and stare at the roof of the Cistine Chapel and criticise the brushwork, would you?

People have criticised the various attempts at restoration which have been carried out over the years. For them, preservation of the original artist's vision, as expressed in the detail, is important.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the Meyer 50mm might not be as sharp as a Nikon, Minolta, Hexanon etc nifty fifty but it never disappoints on film .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gens,

So many nice pictures...

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
... IQ and lens performance are far less important than aesthetics and artistic vision when it comes to making beautiful pictures.

Not everyone shares this view. Some commercial picture buyers and audiences demand a basic technical competence and a minimum image quality before even considering aesthetics and artistic vision.

Quote:

People have criticised the various attempts at restoration which have been carried out over the years. For them, preservation of the original artist's vision, as expressed in the detail, is important.

A lot of people are more interested in the art of photography than boring technical aspects that don't matter much in the real world because most 'normal' viewers would never notice the technical flaws that people on the forum obsess over.

I think it's very wrong to criticise and point out technical imperfections without also assessing the artistic and aesthetic aspects, there must be balance and many people seem to forget that and focus almost exclusively on technical aspects.

When the critic is someone who never posts pictures and only talks about technical aspect that don't matter to most people, the criticism is doubly hard to take.

Let's not lose sight of what's important - the image itself, focusing on tiny technical flaws is a self-defeating exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is pleasing, but my copy is not really sharp even at F4. I had to apply lots of sharpening in the following picture. You get, what you pay for. Nevertheless, it is not a bad lens!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qzsv69aXURc/UaImOXtutdI/AAAAAAAAAEc/XY8jKvWk0Ec/s1600/Marks_4_5_crop_2.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pay a lot for lenses, so I am really happy that the Pentacon 1.8/50 exists, and that the pixel peepers don't like it. I have two copies and I am delighted with the results of both, especially as I have little need to shoot wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, this was my first manual focus lens and introduced me the lovely world of old lenses, now I prefer to shoot with manual focus, rather than auto. Mine is sharp from 2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Bokeh is pleasing, but my copy is not really sharp even at F4. I had to apply lots of sharpening in the following picture. You get, what you pay for. Nevertheless, it is not a bad lens!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qzsv69aXURc/UaImOXtutdI/AAAAAAAAAEc/XY8jKvWk0Ec/s1600/Marks_4_5_crop_2.jpg

Mark and nurkov - I've changed your pictures to links because they are way too wide for this forum. Max. width is 1024px.
Please repost them if you wish, using the Upload Picture button, and they will be resized automatically.

Thanks
Peter