Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 70-210 arrived today - question and a problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 70-210 arrived today - question and a problem Reply with quote

Vivitar 70-210 I purchased on ebay arrived today. Pretty fast, considering the fact the package was sent on Saturday so it's three days ago. It looks OK, the only thing that is not working is DOF preview button - nothing serious, really, I am not missing it that much. I've exposed a roll of expired Konica 12 frame film, will have it developed tomorrow - I will find out whether it's just the preview button or the aperture is not working properly. I hope it's the former.

Anyway, the question is: how do zoom that lens? Focusing is achieved by turning that big front element anti- and clockwise; but the only way I managed to change the focal length is by actually moving the front element along the lens barrel. Am I right or I am seriously missing something?

Oh, for better comprehension: it's the 2nd version of the lens, according to Mark's terminology (http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm).

Last edited by lgrabun on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought a Vivitar Series I 70-210mm f/3.5 lens a day before , when I get it I will check it and try to answer to your question if not answered until that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila, I hope to find it out before, however ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 70-210 arrived today - question and a problem Reply with quote

lgrabun wrote:
Anyway, the question is: how do zoom that lens? Focusing is achieved by turning that big front element anti- and clockwise; but the only way I managed to change the focal length is by actually moving the front element along the lens barrel. Am I right or I am seriously missing something?

Oh, for better comprehension: it's the 2nd version of the lens, according to Mark's terminology (http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm).

Lucasz, the pictures say it is a so-called "one-touch" zoom. The rubber grip rotates to focus and slides backwards and forwards to zoom. Maybe that's what you mean? You shouldn't be able to move the front element.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 70-210 arrived today - question and a problem Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Lucasz, the pictures say it is a so-called "one-touch" zoom. The rubber grip rotates to focus and slides backwards and forwards to zoom. Maybe that's what you mean? You shouldn't be able to move the front element.

I mis-named it calling it "front element"; it's two-three inch long "tube" with rubber grip that slides - as you said - for- and backwards and also rotates. I think we're speaking of the same animal, yes. Thanks for clarifying things up, Peter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igrabrun

So everything is alright with your lens? You have the Tokina made model? It's a very good one.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's a push-pull zoom, or as peterqd said: a "one-touch zoom"

These are great for action shots, as you focus and zoom at the same time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to interfere.
I found Version 1 (Kiron made) Series 1 at a local shop.
I don't know the price, so just curious what a reasonably price
in € would be?!
It's in overall very good condition, no fungus, no scratches.

Here is a picture of it.
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9362/img0015nt6.jpg

Last edited by hasan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a direct link to the image. The other link gives you annoying fake warnings about spyware

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9362/img0015nt6.jpg

I'd say something around 30€ would be decent. But I think it could go lower.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TDN!

Oh, I didn't noticed the imageshack link yet. Embarassed
Now, it's corrected.

From another picture I got,
there seems to be slightly oil on the blades.

Called them, and they wanted 44€ for it.
Rolling Eyes
I think, it's a overpriced. I'll do a search for another one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get one in better condition on ebay for sure

good luck on the lens hunt! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartbreak. i just sold my komine copy. it was mint and i sold it privately for 95usd. hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Used Lens Price Guide please take a look!