Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hanimex 135mm f3.5 tele-auto silver band
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Hanimex 135mm f3.5 tele-auto silver band Reply with quote

I've seen these flying about on ebay for a while, so was intruiged to find out who made it and what sort of lens it is.

Well...before I bought it I had no idea it was a tele-auto. Anyway, it's obviously an automatic aperture lens in M42 mount. It looked familiar. In fact I believe it is the same lens as the tele-auto Soligor 135/3.5. Specs are the same, and dispite looking very different from the Soligor lens, it's clearly the same, Tokina made lens.

Soligor on the left, Hanimex on the right:

From the front:

From the rear:

I've only conducted very brief indoors testing, but the Hanimex looks very sharp, even wide open. The Soligor has a little less contrast and a bit more purple fringing. The Hanimex looks to have a stronger front coating.

Hanimex @ f3.5

Soligor @ f3.5

Hanimex 100% crop

Soligor 100% crop

Hanimex @ f5.6

Soligor @ f5.6

Hanimex 100% crop

Soligor 100% crop

Not a ground breaking test, but interesting how two lenses, seemingly the same, can perform a bit different due to coating changes etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
......interesting how two lenses, seemingly the same, can perform a bit different due to coating changes etc.

Graham,

I think there must be some difference in the optical formula, even if it is slight, for the chromatic aberrations to be different. Better coatings (or coatings on more elements) will account for the improved contrast, but they have zero impact on CA.

Bog standard 135mm lenses probably all have a pretty similar optical formula anyway, which accounts for the similarity in performance. Is not often said in this forum that there is no such thing as a bad 135mm lens?

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I suspect you are right about the coating with regards purple fringing, although it will make a difference to contrast. The lenses have exactly the same minimum focusing distance, same mount, aperture blades etc. so I wonder what else could cause the CA? I guess it *could* be a slightly different optical formula, but why would Tokina change it for one brand? Seems odd. Maybe I used a slightly different focus point perhaps? Dust in the lens? Very slightly mis-aligned element? I'd be interested to know Smile

As for the common myth about there being no bad 135mm lenses...hmm...I've owned a terrible Photax Paragon 135/2.8 and an almost as dreadful Carenar 135/2.8 Laughing The Photax was so soft it was actually useful as an effects portrait lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, Thank You. I've seen that style Hanimex on the Bay and was wondering how they perform.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Hanimex 3.5 / 135mm lens myself (SN H675814) and I can confirm that it is sharp with high contrast and very good definition of primary colors. Try to shoot a light bulb with it -- you will not notice much flare. What is it, then, that accounts for the difference to the Soligor lens? I presume both lenses originate from different lines of production and production philosophy. The Hanimex was manufactured in 1966-1967 as can be deduced from the SN. It was also sold as an accessory lens to the Chinon cameras built from 1966 on and sold as Hanimex cameras. Tokina lenses of that period were similar with early Nikon and Canon lenses (see another thread where the 3.8 / 21mm Hanimex is compared to the Nikon lens). The Soligor lens barrel shares characteristics with lenses built around 1973-1974. I have tried Hanimex lenses from that period which share the same optical characteristics. Differences in the glass formula or just less time to allow the glass to cool off? We'll never know. There were 135mm lenses from around 1974 with a very similar barrel though shorter, namely the Fujinon 3.5 / 135mm lens, that is extremely sharp already at 3.5 and may outperform the 1966 Hanimex.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

As for the common myth about there being no bad 135mm lenses...hmm...I've owned a terrible Photax Paragon 135/2.8 and an almost as dreadful Carenar 135/2.8 Laughing The Photax was so soft it was actually useful as an effects portrait lens Very Happy

But my Photax Paragon 135 is way sharper than my Soligor, both lenses are the same as yours I think. My Paragon is one of my favourite lenses.

Perhaps our old lenses have had a hard life previously that hasn't actually left any physical damage or marks on them, but has moved the elements?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a photo of the Paragon?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an auto Miranda which looks very similar to the Soligor on the left, but without the ninja blades. It is a 135/3.5 but only has 6 blades.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it could be down to individual samples.

Anyway, great results from the Hanimex wide open and I do like the subject choice. But try and get at least an Apotar lens instead of the Agnar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different version of the Soligor T4 that is much more similar to your Hanimex -

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-tokina-135-3-5-t4-the-last-of-a-kind-t10182,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B135.html

No question its a Tokina.

There is more than one version of some of the Soligor T4's. There are three of the 200/3.5 for instance, and that one certainly used different optical layouts.

Your Soligor is not a T4, are you identifying it as a Tokina based on the serial number ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Super Paragon 135 2.8 (55mm dia filter ring and M42 mount ) Probably a Cimko lens, from what little information can be found.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have a different version of the Soligor T4 that is much more similar to your Hanimex -

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-tokina-135-3-5-t4-the-last-of-a-kind-t10182,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B135.html

No question its a Tokina.

There is more than one version of some of the Soligor T4's. There are three of the 200/3.5 for instance, and that one certainly used different optical layouts.

Your Soligor is not a T4, are you identifying it as a Tokina based on the serial number ?

Interesting...mine is a fixed mount model. Presuming it's a Tokina based on the serial number. I have a 200/3.5 purchased at the same time by my Grandfather in the early 70s which also has a fixed mount, similar serial and also assumed to be a Tokina.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Auto Super Paragon 135 2.8 (55mm dia filter ring and M42 mount ) Probably a Cimko lens, from what little information can be found.

Mine is very different to yours, and much crappier by the sounds of it! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite certain that your Hanimex is a Tokina, but I'm not so sure about your Soligor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Your Hanimex and my Vemar look identical-I have seen Soligors and Lentars in the same flavor.

Heres mine:

And sample image

I don't know who makes them-they are not bad at all.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I guess it *could* be a slightly different optical formula, but why would Tokina change it for one brand?

I've seen Soligors identical to your Hanimex. It's not a change for one customer, it's two Tokinas from two eras, the Soligor being newer than the Hanimex.

As for the C.A. it may be a different optical configuration or just normal production variation.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanimex 135mm f3.5 tele-auto silver band Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've seen these flying about on ebay for a while, so was intruiged to find out who made it and what sort of lens it is.

Well...before I bought it I had no idea it was a tele-auto. Anyway, it's obviously an automatic aperture lens in M42 mount. It looked familiar. In fact I believe it is the same lens as the tele-auto Soligor 135/3.5. Specs are the same, and dispite looking very different from the Soligor lens, it's clearly the same, Tokina made lens.

Soligor on the left, Hanimex on the right:

From the front:

I've only conducted very brief indoors testing, but the Hanimex looks very sharp, even wide open. The Soligor has a little less contrast and a bit more purple fringing. The Hanimex looks to have a stronger front coating.

Seems like this black Mamiya 3.5/135mm is the same as your Hanimex (Tokina) above: Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 1960's, Mamiya's early 135mm/2.8 M42 lens was also very much like the Hanimex version of that time. Both were made by what became Tokina.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ramiller500
You are right to say "made by what became Tokina." Tokina was incorporated under that name no sooner than May 1971. Between May 1950 and May 1971 they operated as Tokyo Optical Equipment Manufacturing, manufacturing lenses for Nikon, Ricoh, Mamiya, Soligor, Chinon, Miranda, possibly even early Canon, and many, many others. The glass was furnished by Hoya. Unfortunately, there is no company history available, but the development may be reconstructed in these discussions here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:

I don't know who makes them-they are not bad at all.

This is my Toki Very Happy