Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Taking apart Konica Hexanon 35/f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Taking apart Konica Hexanon 35/f2.8 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am new here. Started taking "real" photographs a few months ago after buying my first mirrorless hydrid camera. When looking for a lens to compliment the kit lens of my Samsung NX1000 I soon discovered that old manual lenses could be adapted. The first I got was a Konica Hexanon 50/f1.7 and after using it for the first time and seeing the incredible quality of the photos I got hooked and started collecting lots of them (at least, those I can afford).

Here's my question. I am using a Fotga adapter which is really good but that will let lenses focus a tad past infinity. The "problem" gets worse as the lenses are wider. I managed to take apart all my hexanons to calibrate their infinity focus as I only have one adapter. All of them except the 35mm/f2.8 (I have the one with rubberized focus ring and maximum aperture f16 with 6 elements, not the very latest one with max aperture f22 and 5 elements). The name ring doesn't seem to unscrew (there are no notches for any tool to unscrew it) and there are no grub screws on the barrel like those found on the longer focal models. So, I cannot unscrew the front element to uncover the focus ring screws allowing users to recalibrate the lens.

If any of you here has already taken this lens apart, any help or tip is welcomed ;o)

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't think I've taken that lens apart yet.

But have you tried a friction tool to unscrew the name ring? That's what I would try.

Suggest you take a look at this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/rubber-tools-t53739.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Thanks for the tip but I have already tried that. What is strange is that the name ring has absolutely no notch for a special tool to turn the ring so I am wondering if it has to be removed or not.

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Using a rear cap and a rubber glove, I eventually managed to unscrew the name ring very easily actually. Underneath it, between the outer front ring (the black one) and the front glass element, there is an aluminium notched ring that can be unscrewed using a small flat screwdriver. Once completely unscrewed, you can lift the outer black ring. Then the three screws holding the focusing ring can be accessed to calibrate the infinity stop of the lens.

I'm quite happy that I can calibrate all my lenses without having to modify the adapter. At least for my Hexanons.

This thread might be useful for those who'd like to claibrate a 35/2.8, too.

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have a 85/1.8 Konica with some play in the focusing (the focusing barrel can spin a little without the helicoid moving). I suppose that removing the name ring and perhaps a retaining ring underneath will reveal similar screws as the ones you found in the 35/2.8.

Just to see that I understand this correctly: If you loosen the three screws, does that make the focusing barrel "loose" (spinning without turning the helicoid) so that you can align the infinity symbol and distance marker correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Yes, you unscrew them just a bit, then screw just one, focus the lens so that infinity is sharp, then unscrew the screw, move the focus ring to align the infinity mark with the barrel mark and rescrew the screws.

The 85 is a bit different, though.

Have a look at here http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-85mm-1-8-adjusting-infinity-focusing-w-pics-t57314.html

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you were successful with the rubber glove. That can be a tough way to go sometimes.

If you look in the OP of that thread I linked in my earlier post, the poster there has listed three eBay sources for the proper friction tools. They are darned expensive, IMO. But they do work quite well.

The lack of name ring notches is not an indicator that says there's no need to remove the ring.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Well I eventually ended up just shimming one of my adapters. Was lucky because I just cut two rings of paper, put them on top of each other and it is spot on at infinity for the widest lenses I have. Easier and faster than calibrating all the lenses.

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedjay wrote:
Hi !

Yes, you unscrew them just a bit, then screw just one, focus the lens so that infinity is sharp, then unscrew the screw, move the focus ring to align the infinity mark with the barrel mark and rescrew the screws.

The 85 is a bit different, though.

Have a look at here http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-85mm-1-8-adjusting-infinity-focusing-w-pics-t57314.html

Cheers
Jay

Brilliant! I have unsucessfully tried to reassemble a 135/3.2 Konica (no worries, I have two of them); I couldn´t get the three screws to "do anything" when they were tightened (the two parts would not be held together even though the screws were tightened all the way). Now I know how to fix my wobbling focusing ring on the 85, though. Thank you for taking the time to photograph and describe the procedure!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Oh, it wasn't me who photographed the procedure, the thread is not mine ! Let's give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar Very Happy

Besides, that's strange that tightening those three screws cannot hold the focus ring anymore !

Cheers
Jay