Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Z 300mm f5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Sigma Z 300mm f5.6 Reply with quote

The subject lens just sold on eBay in non-working condition. There was only a single individual, on all of eBay, foolish enough to bid on this thing; it was "moi". Laughing

Click here to see on Ebay

So now I'm conducting this postmortem in an effort to estimate the damage:

I did try to research the lens prior to bidding. I came here, of course: nothing. It was almost as bad on the wider net. Apparently this lens is either just poor, or else it is not widely owned. If you do own one, I hope you can tell me if this is worth repairing . . or is it perhaps merely a hopeless paperweight!

I would not have bid except the mount was right for me. The single mount photo, though, was worrisome. I think someone else might already have tried to disassemble this lens, which would be bad. What do you think? If the lens is intact and has not been spoiled by someone else, I think I can repair it.

All input, at this point, is welcome.

Please note: You will have to click on "See original listing" to view the photos. eBay, in their wisdom, does not allow direct linking to that page. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about the lens but I can offer general consolation: You're only out 13 bucks. Check the sold listings, I'm sure others paid more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Don't know much about the lens but I can offer general consolation: You're only out 13 bucks. Check the sold listings, I'm sure others paid more.

Thank you for your suggestion, which I took. You are correct. Other "Z" examples are selling for more. Of course, those are functional lenses not in need of repair.

I've come up with a working hypothesis, very much subject to correction as new data emerges:

I'm guessing the Sigma "Z" series lenses, back in the day, were their ROTM (run of the mill) lenses. Am betting the "better" Sigma lenses, back at that time, carried the designation "XQ". Anyhow, that's my current thinking.

If I'm right, and if the "Z" lenses from back then are as bad as much newer Sigma non-EX lenses, then my new lens is pretty hopeless. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it reminds me of Sun cf. 85-205(210?)

but so do almost any of these old lenses.

If you are lucky you get a free YS-PE adaptor from it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Well it reminds me of Sun cf. 85-205(210?)

but so do almost any of these old lenses.

If you are lucky you get a free YS-PE adaptor from it.

I have been doing more research on the lens. It is an interesting lens:

Apparently the key to the search is the word "Pantel". I had been searching using "Sigma Z".

But it is a Pantel lens which, it appears, closes down to f64!!! It supposedly has a "pan style" focus. I don't know what that means.

Also have learned many of these Pantel lenses have frozen aperture problems and the problem is not easy to repair. At time of purchase I was thinking "oily blades". In reality, the problems now appear to be mechanical.

Oh, well, I bought a challenge. Laughing

ETA

On the mount, certainly you might be right. Posters elsewhere are saying it's not a YS mount in general on the Pantels. But I agree with you my lens might be. It's going to be interesting when this lens shows up to check out the construction and the mount. The lens, for all its problems and mysteries, does appear to be in decent condition.