Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just for fun: Vivitar vs CZJ Biotar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Just for fun: Vivitar vs CZJ Biotar Reply with quote

I recently picked up a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm made by Komine. The word is it's a very sharp lens. So I put it to the test with the sharpest lens in my stable, the CZJ Biotar 58mm f/2.0. Nothing serious or scientific, just trying to compare as best I could for the fun of it. I adjusted the zoom on the S1 to approximate the focal length of the CZJ. All shots were at f/5.6 on a tripod, shot raw with no pp and exported to JPEG in LR4.

Vivitar Series 1:

CZJ Biotar:

Vivitar Series 1:

CZJ Biotar:

Now, guess which of the two lenses captured this one and you could win a cheeseburger dinner at my place cooked on my grill! (Airfare and taxes extra, of course!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison -
to my eye they are virtually indistinguishable.
Thanks for the fun
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that the last shot is the Vivitar as I am sure the Biotar has more than 6 blades. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I am guessing that the last shot is the Vivitar as I am sure the Biotar has more than 6 blades. Wink

+1. And more swirl too...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in a previous post. In my opinion there are three qualities of lenses.
A: low quality where you get an acceptable image but soft and not quite sharp
B: The majority of camera manufacturers lenses and named indie brands
C: The ultimate expensive Leitz's and Zeisses

Both these fall firmly in cat B unsurprisingly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ignoring contax lenses and similar....the results don't surprise me as even a very good old zoom at its sweet spot stopped down can look the same as a good prime esp on a computer screen, I proved this to my self many times and it needs a large print or crops to show the difference....of course the differences might show up more with shots of buildings for distortion.

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought it to be a little arrogant to deny Vivitar (or Soligor lenses, just to name two) any capabilities, just because they do not bear a well-respected name.
There are some real gems amidst those.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with known 3rd party manufacturers from Japan (+Korea) and put them into average brand quality & trust categories. Just for fun, there are many exceptions of course. Also remember some brands were reselling others. Please don't take this list to seriously. It would also vary according to production years used (Samyang quality for instance is now much better then 20 years ago):

1st category: Kiron, Komine, Tamron
2nd category: Kobori, Tokina, Cimko
3rd category: SUN, Cosina, Sigma
4th category: Samyang, Makinon, Ozone, Osawa

Just made a little poll on Facebook Old-Lenses Fanatics https://www.facebook.com/groups/211284425571781

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I played with known 3rd party manufacturers from Japan (+Korea) and put them into average brand quality & trust categories. Just for fun, there are many exceptions of course. Also remember some brands were reselling others. Please don't take this list to seriously. It would also vary according to production years used (Samyang quality for instance is now much better then 20 years ago):

1st category: Kiron, Komine, Tamron
2nd category: Kobori, Tokina, Cimko
3rd category: SUN, Cosina, Sigma
4th category: Samyang, Makinon, Ozone, Osawa

Just made a little poll on Facebook Old-Lenses Fanatics https://www.facebook.com/groups/211284425571781

I had only one lens with osawa brand, and it was quite good. So i gave it a vote on facebook - guess it will be the only one.
The problem with that is that I don't remember which lens it was. A 200/4 maybe? well, who cares.

Also, Cosina made lenses that could fit any of the categories, probably.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
it needs a large print or crops to show the difference....

Good point. When I view shot #2 at 1:1 resolution it's obvious the Zeiss picks up amazing little details the Vivitar misses completely. I'll post examples later to show this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple crops to show the comparative details. Biotar shows off its crispness at this view level -- even with me driving it.

Vivitar crop:

Biotar crop: