Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Milky Way
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Milky Way Reply with quote

Milky Way with Samyang 14/2.4 wide open. Exposure 3 minutes on guided mount.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, hat off!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW.......Something I don't see living near London.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
WoW.......Something I don't see living near London.

Oh yeah! This is spectacular view if you are far far away from cities...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! What is guided mount?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great capture, impressive sky !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Beautiful! What is guided mount?

It is tripod with mount for telescope with motors for compensating earth rotation. My mount is cheapest available EQ3-2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great capture! Smile Btw, what ISO did you use? Is that colour noise I see or just the way our galaxy looks? Do you get noise problems at long exposure times?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Great capture! Smile Btw, what ISO did you use? Is that colour noise I see or just the way our galaxy looks? Do you get noise problems at long exposure times?

This picture is shot with ISO 800, picture was little bit too dark, so i made corrections later but the result is high noise . In original size noise looks smaller than in this image.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot! I love the colors that you ended up with. A couple of questions:

Which DSLR did you use. Shooting at ISO 800 can make a big difference in image quality depending on the DSLR.

On your EQ3-2 "guided mount" -- I did a little reading up on the EQ3-2. Did you manually guide the mount, and if so, what sort of optics did you use to make sure you were guiding accurately -- or did you use your DSLR's "Live View"?. Or did you have the optional single-axis and dual-axis D.C. motor drives installed for auto-tracking purposes. And if so, do they have the guide paddle for precise tracking?

I used to be an avid amateur astronomer, back when I lived where I could see the sky. Where I live now, there are too many tall trees, although I know that I'd have to travel well away from home to reach a dark sky area. But still, even within the city, planetary observation is still quite possible -- if only I could see the sky! The only place where I can see a major portion of the sky around my house is in the middle of the street in front of it! I've owned several telescopes in the past, wouldn't mind owning another if I ever move to a place where I can use it. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Great shot! I love the colors that you ended up with. A couple of questions:

Which DSLR did you use. Shooting at ISO 800 can make a big difference in image quality depending on the DSLR.

On your EQ3-2 "guided mount" -- I did a little reading up on the EQ3-2. Did you manually guide the mount, and if so, what sort of optics did you use to make sure you were guiding accurately -- or did you use your DSLR's "Live View"?. Or did you have the optional single-axis and dual-axis D.C. motor drives installed for auto-tracking purposes. And if so, do they have the guide paddle for precise tracking?

I used to be an avid amateur astronomer, back when I lived where I could see the sky. Where I live now, there are too many tall trees, although I know that I'd have to travel well away from home to reach a dark sky area. But still, even within the city, planetary observation is still quite possible -- if only I could see the sky! The only place where I can see a major portion of the sky around my house is in the middle of the street in front of it! I've owned several telescopes in the past, wouldn't mind owning another if I ever move to a place where I can use it. Rolling Eyes

I use Canon 5D MkII. I know there should not be noise like this at ISO 800. I checked once more original RAW image and there is no noise, but image has low contrast (moon was rising). So this noise is from bad postprocess... Smile
My EQ3-2 is equipped with two DC (actually stepper motors) on both axis. If mount is aligned properly against North an Polaris, and carefully leveled it can do very precise tracking. I have some pictures with 400mm lens and they looks pretty good.
I have never had a telescope, but always made different stuff for sky observing. My first tracker for photography was made from large worm gear and old clock mechanism. Later i upgrade it with stepper motor from old copier and driver. It was revolution! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Wow, hat off!

It s a way of saying when you congratulate someone here in Slovenia, i used it since you have one in your avatar Very Happy
Again, great results, i guess you had to move to a non populated area to take it?

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
tomasg wrote:
Wow, hat off!

It s a way of saying when you congratulate someone here in Slovenia, i used it since you have one in your avatar Very Happy
Again, great results, i guess you had to move to a non populated area to take it?

Tomas

In Latvia we also use ''hat off'' Smile
Non populated areas here is enough. For auroras i have few great spots, for milky way another, and all of them are max 20km from city. But anyway i have a house in deep deep countryside and what a beautiful night sky over head Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the countryside too, so I've started to become interested in shooting the night sky.

Judging by your result, it's definitely worthwhile, well done, it's wonderful.

I didn't understand half of what Michael wrote so I guess I have a lot of reading and learning to do! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I live in the countryside too, so I've started to become interested in shooting the night sky.

Judging by your result, it's definitely worthwhile, well done, it's wonderful.

I didn't understand half of what Michael wrote so I guess I have a lot of reading and learning to do! Smile

You live in the UK, right? Here in the US we have two competing Astronomy magazines: Astronomy and Sky and Telescope. I don't have a favorite the way I used to with photography magazines. I recommend though that you just start picking up copies of an Astronomy magazine that's published in the UK -- one that seems to be targeted toward a broad audience, including neophytes. Read the articles and the ads and just turn on the osmosis filter and absorb, absorb, absorb. You'll pick it up very quickly, I suspect, especially the basics, like right ascension and declination. These are the sky equivalents of latitude and longitude. With those two numbers you can find any object in the night sky.

Comfortable magnified observation and photography require that you know how to align you telescope's mount to polar north or south using those two scales. Folks who live in the northern hemisphere have it easy. We have Polaris, the pole star, to align our scope mounts to, which is at almost exactly polar north. Folks in the southern hemisphere don't have it as easy, since there is no southern pole star.

Back when I was really into astronomy I had also begun to do some astrophotography, and I had accumulated a variety of pieces of gear that made the process easier. I suspect that some of the stuff I was using is probably obsolete and not required anymore. The mount guide motors that shauttra and I mentioned are small electrical motors that attach to the two axes of the telescope mount. One turns the scope at a slow rate to counteract the rotation of the earth, thereby freezing the object in your view. The other motor is used for raising or lowering the mount to bring various objects into view. The setup I used to own was switchable between 120 VAC house current and 12V DC, so I could use my car's battery if I was way back in the boonies somewhere. Nowadays, I don't know what is most common, but I have seen some smaller table-top models that are battery powered.

The paddle that I mentioned is a small hand-held item that looks like a VCR remote control. It has arrow buttons that you can push to make small corrections in the path of the scope as it tracks an object. The corrections are usually not necessary for shorter exposures if the mount is well-aligned to polar north. Even if the scope is aligned perfectly to Polaris, Polaris is not at exact polar north, so corrections will have to be made for longer exposures. You'll need some method of selecting a "guide star" and keeping your scope exactly aligned to that guide star. I used an off-axis guider, which was a rather expensive and complicated affair that sits between the camera and the telescope. Looks like folks still use them, too, judging by the bit of googling I just did. That whole process was tedious back in the day. I'll bet it's much less so now because of the very high ISOs that better digital cameras can achieve. Back in the day, you had to sit there scrunched down at your scope, staring into the OAG's eyepiece, which had an illuminated reticle, checking to see that a star that you had previously selected for this task was still aligned with the reticle. If it's moved, you adjust the scope's position ever so slightly with the paddle's adjustment buttons to put the guide star back on the reticle. With the slow film I used to use -- like Kodachrome 64, for example -- I would have to stare at that stupid guide star for a half hour or longer. It was boring, but necessary to get images like what shauttra did. He was able to use a high ISO, though, so instead of a 30 or 40 minute exposure requiring adjustments, his was a 3-minute exposure, making adjustments optional.

Shauttra's was also a "wide field" photo where he just had his camera and lens hooked up to his equatorial mount. You can get some great astrophotography shots with just a camera and a normal lens, and even more spectacular with an ultrawide, as he has shown. But for some of the more exotic stuff that's out there, you'll need to hook your camera up to a telescope, with an off-axis guider between the camera and 'scope if the shots will be longer. One of my favorite deep sky objects for astrophotography is the Orion nebula, which requires a pretty good focal length -- around 1,000mm for a ff camera, so probably around 600mm or so for an APS-C one.

Oops, didn't mean to blather on for this long.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for share picture and technique Smile
So we need a lens that good performer at wide open. specially when we dont have guided mount.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an motorized Astro5 mount (like EQ5) but never used it for something like that so far, as I'm living in a city and such a tripod is very heavy.
I wonder if cheap telescopes with GoTo mount like http://www.ebay.de/itm/Meade-ETX-70-AT-/271282848228?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Teleskope&hash=item3f29b7c1e4 (which often go for less than 100€ on Ebay) are precise enough to make 3min exposures with an wide angle.