Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP F8/500 model 55b
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP F8/500 model 55b Reply with quote

Cat portrait...early morning sun,a very little contrast boost and adjusting down the brightness level a tiny amount.Taken while standing on a chair.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be you like cats!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Must be you like cats!

Yes ....just a little... Laughing I like their beauty and shape and personality Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. How far away were you for that shot?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2 meters, 1.7 is the shortest distance it will cover..

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples to show the qualities of this lens.

- Candle Light

- Twin Flowers

- Gimme Shelter...

- Light my Fire

- On Target

- Wild Cat strike

- Red ridin hood

- Pelican

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mo and Olivier for sharing those nice samples. From the Oliver's set, my fav is the pelican one, it shows a nice sharpness, difficult to achieve.

From the two versions (55B and 55BB) I read somewhere that the more recent (55bb) was slightly modified by Tamron to be more accurate on macro and shorter distances, but the old one (55b) was finer on farther shots.
Anyway and according to your samples, the old one seems to be good enough in closeups. Wink

I own a 55B and had the opportunity of swapping it by a 55BB and finally I kept the older 55b.
Your shots make me happy with such a decission Smile

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jes.

From adaptall-2.org, here what they say about the 55BB
Tamron SP 500mm F/8 Mirror Model 55BB: This later version SP 500mm F/8, introduced in 1983, is an optically revised version of the original model 55B lens first introduced in 1979. The major optical design change is the switch to a constant thickness meniscus main mirror in order to reduce close focusing spherical aberration. The change in the main mirror design also necessitated changes for the two smallest lenses located within the middle of the optical design. This model 55BB also discards the earlier model's detachable tripod mount and the set of four filters for B&W photography. The later model 55BB is also readily distinguished from the original model by its diamond knurled rubber focus grip and the lack of the locking screw used on the earlier model 55B's built-in rotating tripod mount ring. Thus this lens does not feature any built-in tripod mount whereas the original lens featured a detachable tripod mount.
I enjoy having the built-in hood on the 55B. I always use it. It's also an advantage to have the built-in tripod mount.
I have to stress that all above photos have been taken hand held.

Links to adaptall-2.org :
55B : http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/55B.html
55BB : http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/55BB.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: tamron55b Reply with quote

Here's one of the better photos I've managed with this lens (if you can see it) � a neighbour's cat lying on a shed overlooking my garden, about 25 feet �7.6m away... This lens can produce good results with the right conditions/situation and subject. Photo was taken with a pentax k5 dslr handheld, leaning tightly against a window frame, iso 200 at 1/250. Raw format, sharpened slightly in Photoshop CS5.

Last edited by shaky on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tanron55b Reply with quote

shaky wrote:
Here's one of the better photos I've managed with this lens (if you can see it) – a neighbour's cat lying on a shed overlooking my garden, about 25 feet –7.6m away... This lens can produce good results with the right conditions/situation and subject. Photo was taken with a pentax k5 dslr handheld, leaning tightly against a window frame, iso 200 at 1/250. Raw format, sharpened slightly in Photoshop CS5.

First picture posted by a new member doesn't appear due to antispam measures on the forum.
Please post it again and it will appear.

Welcome onboard Shaky ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Tamron 55b Reply with quote

Many thanks for your welcome and posting advice, Olivier.
Here's one of the better photos I've managed with this lens – a neighbour's cat lying on a shed overlooking my garden, about 25 feet (7.6m) away... This lens can produce good results with the right conditions/situation and subject. Photo was taken with a pentax k5 dslr handheld, leaning tightly against a window frame, iso 200 at 1/250. Raw format, sharpened slightly in Photoshop CS5.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it shows remarkably its very good image qualities.

And mine is very easy to operate with a very smooth focusing ring. On the 5D MkII with its large and clear viewfinder, it is really great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sample!
This Tamron seems to be adequate for feline shooting Wink
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it Jes. What better to photograph a cat with than a 'cat' lens?

Last edited by shaky on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is really cat suited Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the cat lens out yesterday to see whether it can acquit itself well with subjects other than cats.

Pictures of demoiselle gives an idea of this lens's close focus ability and image quality – the full frame and a crop. Insect was about 7.5 to 8 feet away over water.

The berries picture shows an interesting application of the donut bokeh.

And finally, a stag showing how 'close' you can get from a reasonable distance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shaky.
What is your camera and what were your iso settings ?
It seems there's quite a lot of noise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Thank you Shaky.
What is your camera and what were your iso settings ?
It seems there's quite a lot of noise.

Pentax K5

ISO 1600 for the insect
ISO 800 for the plant
ISO 400 for the stag

PS - if you use Firefox there's a plugin to view EXIF data right in the browser - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Fuzzy. Smile
I'm using IE9.
I have installed Kuso exif viewer but it says that activeX components can't create an object (???)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it right fuzzywuzzy. Thanks.

All photos were handheld, hence the high iso settings to enable higher shutter speeds.

I made no attempt to reduce noise in pp and think the close-up ability is quite good for a 500mm cat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, close-up abilities are very interesting and this lens is compatible with the doubler 01F, wich increases macro a lot... but tripod is absolutely needed.

Picture taken with Tamron SP 500 F8 (55B) + Tamron 01F doubler, mounted on 5D MkII

Another one, without the doubler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's really a sharp lens for a 500mm mirror. Nice cat portraits and wildlife shots!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close up: