Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 57/1.4 shock
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 57/1.4 shock Reply with quote

Found my copy on bay with aperture problems and glass in excellent condition. Very first thought was - how on Earth that could be so sharp, contrasty and colorful. What a pity I could use it on my 5D only with free-lensing technique that has very limited focusing distance. This lens has a character somewhere similar to my Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 on FF - out of focus areas, contrast and colors. Unbelievable lens IQ for the money. Stopped down I like it more than my Planar 50/1.4. Going to make some comparision shots soon. Stopped down it becomes even more fantastic. All pics clickable with higher resolution.

Wide open.

f4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see your shock Smile Konica is oldest Japanese maker like Voigtlander or Zeiss in Europe. Lenses was always top of the line and many of them very expensive at time.

http://www.mflenses.com/konica-konishiroku-history.html
I remember for my first shock when I did try an 'unknown' Konishiroku Hexanon 100mm f2.8 lens on my Nikon D50, love did start and not over Smile

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/?
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/Konica/?

Some link to force to you to hunt more Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots. ive said many times on this forum this is one of the best normal lenses ever, including the famed zeiss planar 50/1.4. in fact i sold the zeiss and kept the konica! its an absolute jewel.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very good lens indeed.

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-ar-1-4-57-nex-7-t45819,highlight,%2Bkonica+%2Bnex.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of user reports are conflicting with Buhla who says that this lens is nothing special. Buhla is a terrific technical reference but I take his comments on the IQ of the different lenses with a bit of salt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thanks for the links, I've seen those many times Wink
Carsten, thanks for that post - it was one of those top posts inspired me to get this gem!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Carsten, thanks for that post - it was one of those top posts inspired me to get this gem!

Me too! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, of course.
About the lens, i had it. Prefer the 1,2/58 minolta.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Prefer the 1,2/58 minolta.

You should compare Konica 57/1.2 with Minolta 58/1.2, and Konica 57/1.4 with Minolta 58/1.4. They are not same level.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

You should compare Konica 57/1.2 with Minolta 58/1.2, and Konica 57/1.4 with Minolta 58/1.4. They are not same level.

Original poster did mention in first post lens like Minolta 1.2, anyway why do you can't compare it ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
eno789 wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

Original poster did mention in first post lens like Minolta 1.2, anyway why do you can't compare it ?

Sorry, did not notice OP mentioned Minolta 58/1.2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: I have one with a sticky aperture for sale Reply with quote

I have an extra one of these. The blades are oily which causes the aperture to stick open.
make offer. jco. hifisapi@gate.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something interesting about Minolta 58 1.2 and this hexanon. Actually, I cannot get Rokkor to shine on my cropped NEX as it performs on my 5D. Rokkor lacks depth or so when being used on crop and has little different bokeh on Nex than on 5D. On the other hand Hexanon 57 1.4 shows very good depth and bokeh on my Nex. I'd say somehow Hexanon on Nex looks similar to Rokkor on 5D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these today. The last version made, I hope it will be a good copy. I paid what I paid and I'm not going to let it ruin my day if I made a bad deal but what are these going for on average?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus, I am sure that's damn good deal! Smile This lens is a real gem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the lenses I will never sell, I guess.
Because it's fantastic, but you won't get an approriate amount of money for it when you sell it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we present more fantastic pictures and the lens becomes a cult classic Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
That's one of the lenses I will never sell, I guess.
Because it's fantastic, but you won't get an approriate amount of money for it when you sell it.

+100 here. I can shurely purchase more but never sell any Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some from today f/2.0 - 2.8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 copies of the Konica AR 50mm 1.7 and they are both beautiful sharp lenses, with wonderful colors. Could you compare them with the 57mm 1.4 in IQ?

quidam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens

f/1.4:

f/2.8:

f/5.6:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
I have 2 copies of the Konica AR 50mm 1.7 and they are both beautiful sharp lenses, with wonderful colors. Could you compare them with the 57mm 1.4 in IQ?

quidam

same good may even better

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my Hexanons seemed average at best, I think it may be time to revisit them in the near future since revisiting my Topcor 58/1.4 changed my opinion of it for the better, maybe the same will hold true here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what aperture does the magic aheppen with this lens?