Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax A 85mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Pentax A 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Any opinion vs other 85mm f1.4 f1.2 lenses ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax A 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Any opinion vs other 85mm f1.4 f1.2 lenses ?

My only experience with any of these is with the Pentax A* (as in "A-star") 85/1.4 and the autofocus Pentax FA* 85/1.4 (neither of which do I have anymore) -- IMHO, the A* 85/1.4 is a super sharp and very contrasty lens with great bokeh. [I should point out that the autofocus Pentax FA* 85/1.4 is an optically different lens, and, IMHO, also has great bokeh but is not as sharp.]

As for your specific question (comparing it to other fast 85's), I will point out that three very fast 85's (the Pentax A* 8/1.4, the Canon EF 85/1.2 L USM, and the Contax Planar T* 85/1.4), along with a couple of other Pentax lenses, a couple of Leitz lenses, and the sublime Tokina "Bokina", are all tied for 3rd place in all the hundreds of lenses ever tested on Photodo - See http://www.photodo.com/browse-lenses/sort-mtf-score-desc .

Last edited by fwcetus on Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the A* 1.4/85 's a bit of a legend. It is said to be impressively sharp from wide open until corners but that it has rather strong PF at wide apertures. A test against the Canon L f1.2/85 II: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/pentax85/index.html
The FA lens is said to be decisively less sharp at wide apertures

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have FA* 85/1.4 and will take some shot with it.

I have used it few days for portraits. It is sharp enough, bokeh is just lovely, less CA than zeiss. Both FA*85 and A*85 are rare and expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the Samyang 85mm/1.4 lens is somehow the benchmark in terms of quality vs. price. Considering the prices for comparable lenses I doubt that there is any better alternative what I've seen so far from sample pictures and test reports. If I wouldn't have the Minolta AF 85/1.4 already (which is also quite recommendable but far more expensive used compared to the brand new prices of the Samyang) I would most probably go for the Samyang lens.
However, the Pentax lens seems to be rather excellent as well (I only have the older F1.9 version from Pentax) but also rather expensive in comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I gather from the internet I take it that the A* lens isn't a typical portrait lens, it is very good at infinity but not as stellar at rel. short focus distance, while the FA* is optimized for the later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that FA* is not very good at infinity, but portrait distance is really awesome.

I don't have the A*, but FA* focus throw may be shorter as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax A 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
My only experience with any of these is with the Pentax A* (as in "A-star") 85/1.4 and the autofocus Pentax FA* 85/1.4 (neither of which do I have anymore) -- IMHO, the A* 85/1.4 is a super sharp and very contrasty lens with great bokeh. [I should point out that the autofocus Pentax FA* 85/1.4 is an optically different lens, and, IMHO, also has great bokeh but is not as sharp.]

Actually, I do have experience with a third very fast 85 (and I'm using "very fast" for referring to any 85 with an aperture of, say, f/1.4 or f/1.2), and that's the MC Zenitar K 85/1.4 (which I no longer have anymore, either).

Back in "Ye Olde Film Days of Yore", I had for a while six Pentax m42 and K-mount 85's, and later also had the MC Zenitar K 85/1.4 for a while (but after a few of the other 85's had been "liberated"). The Zenitar was not particularly sharp (and it was not impressive for its mechanical qualities when compared to any of the Pentaxes), but it did provide some awesome bokeh.

And this is the Zenitar-K and the A* 85/1.4's next to each other -

[I do apologize for the poor quality of the above pics from quite a few years ago, back when bandwidths were pretty low, online storage was pretty expensive, and digital hardware was pretty weak -- in fact, the pic with the Zenitar in it was taken with the first Pentax digital camera - no, not the *ist-D, which was the first Pentax DSLR - the Pentax "EI-C90", featuring a 400 KP (yes, that's ~kilo~pixels) sensor.]

Last edited by fwcetus on Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Here I was hoping for photo by Attila...guess I have to wait? Laughing

fwcetus, the collection of lenses sure looks impressive!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all of you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Rolling Eyes Here I was hoping for photo by Attila...guess I have to wait? Laughing

Attila wrote:
Many thanks to all of you!

So, Attila, did you get an A* 85/1.4, or are you considering it, and/or maybe also thinking of alternatives, and/or...? ("Inquiring minds want to know.") Question

visualopsins wrote:
fwcetus, the collection of lenses sure looks impressive!

Thanks, except, in looking at 'em, I just realized I do not have any of them anymore. Neutral ... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a local sale, 1000 USD too expensive to me now,but I was curious what is your experience.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1000 sounds reasonable compared to values I've seen in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I heard a local sale, 1000 USD too expensive to me now,but I was curious what is your experience.

Lightshow wrote:

Yes. At least on eBay lately, both the A* and FA* 85/1.4's have been going for typically $1,000 to $1,200 USD or so, mostly from Japan, Hong Kong, and Korea. So, just from that data, $1,000 USD for a good copy would seem reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
Attila wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Yes. At least on eBay lately, both the A* and FA* 85/1.4's have been going for typically $1,000 to $1,200 USD or so, mostly from Japan, Hong Kong, and Korea. So, just from that data, $1,000 USD for a good copy would seem reasonable.

Remains still the question if they are that much better compared to the Samyang which sells for less than 300 Euro brand new....
Unfortunately I didn't find any comparisons so far.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any mflenses members buy lenses to try then sell later?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
Attila wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Remains still the question if they are that much better compared to the Samyang which sells for less than 300 Euro brand new....
Unfortunately I didn't find any comparisons so far.

I doubt any 85mm lens is significantly better than Samyang 85mm , this lens is still on my wish list I wait for a real bargain. Samyang is damn good in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I do often buy for try and sell after, selling is slow process Sad buying is much faster LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Yes, indeed, and all too frequently.

Attila wrote:
I do often buy for try and sell after, selling is slow process Sad

True. Sad

Attila wrote:
buying is much faster LOL

Also true. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

I do often buy for try and sell after, selling is slow process Sad buying is much faster LOL

Yep, very true indeed! Wink