Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This lens shines at X aperture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: This lens shines at X aperture Reply with quote

I've come to realize that most cult lenses have one or two aperture settings that can result in spectacular and sometimes almost magical results. Name a lens and the aperture setting that works for that particular piece of glass.

I'll start: Minolta 58/1.2 @ f2 produces incredibly smooth bokeh, sharpness and 3D (on crop sensors also but especially on full frame)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This lens shines at X aperture Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I've come to realize that most cult lenses have one or two aperture settings that can result in spectacular and sometimes almost magical results. Name a lens and the aperture setting that works for that particular piece of glass.

I'll start: Minolta 58/1.2 @ f2 produces incredibly smooth bokeh, sharpness and 3D (on crop sensors also but especially on full frame)

...and would add that many (maybe all) prime lenses might be at their best when the subject is at a preferred focusing distance, as the designers can't make a perfect lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. If you know the best distance to the subject, that information is valuable as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a very general rule, most lenses are great 2 stops from wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a good general recommendation that is. But please, recommendations for specific lenses in this thread.

I'll continue: Contax 100/3.5 @ f3.5 ( wide open) spectacular sharpness and micro contrast, smooth bokeh as well. (I've read that it's actually sharper than Zeiss 100/2 until f5.6)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens is optimised for a certain aperture, sometimes the manufacturer states which it is. For most lenses it is 5.6 or 8.