Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dunrobin Castle Nikon 55/3.5 Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Autopano Giga when it was on offer, I had read somewhere that their stitching software/brain was the best in the world so grabbed while I could. I haven't used it enough to learn what half the features do Embarassed but it has proved to be a great investment so far.
Here's an example from last year, 16 shots with a Nikon 55/3.5 Micro and stitched with Autopano Giga.

Dunrobin Castle (postcard stylee) by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderland, I love these kind of story book illustrations, well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question but, why did you need to take 16 exposures to obtain this view? The only thing I can think of is if you wanted the quality to print it at a huge size. Confused

Great shot btw!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look vertical walls, I think with wide angle lens you not get same perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar: From where I was standing I couldn't fit the whole castle into one shot with a 55mm lens, not by a long way. By standing further back there would have been a bunch of trees blocking my view. So I had to shoot this way in order to capture the whole of it.
Plus, I did want to be able to print this at a very large size. The castle manager goes around the British Isles trying to advertise the castle, he wanted a large print (on a roll for easy transport) to show the castle at it's best, this was the way to do it.

Attila, yes perspective-wise you are correct too. And thanks for moving this to create a new topic. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd figured out why 16 photos were needed. Well done on stitching them together.

I did one of York Minster and it looks as if its been hit by an earthquake.

I took an entire roll of film (using my Yashica T4) getting shots of the Laxey wheel they make a great composite but I must get them together digitally. I'm considering getting Autopano Giga cos I do like panos.

another attempt at York Minster, if you look carefully you can see the bishop. Taken with a Vivitar 28mm on my Nex5. 13 photos. A lil bit of perspective control

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary's photo is awesome Shocked
may be i should buy this too.

i mean the gear, not the castle...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot of the castle..my problem with panos is I forget to use them Rolling Eyes Only this week I took a set of lenses (24mm to 200mm) for a scene and not one lens gave the result I wanted, when I got home thought to my self "why didn't I do a pano" Mad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
And thanks for moving this to create a new topic. Very Happy

Thanks go to me Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
And thanks for moving this to create a new topic. Very Happy

Thanks go to me Wink

Thank you, kind sir. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Gary's photo is awesome Shocked
may be i should buy this too.

i mean the gear, not the castle...

Thanks.

It is a fantastic bit of software http://www.kolor.com/ and it's worth doing some reading to help decide which version is best for you.

It's not cheap but neither is the castle Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Great shot of the castle..my problem with panos is I forget to use them Rolling Eyes Only this week I took a set of lenses (24mm to 200mm) for a scene and not one lens gave the result I wanted, when I got home thought to my self "why didn't I do a pano" Mad

I'm guilty of that too Rolling Eyes
And the other day I found the source images for two pano's which I have yet to process, I completely forgot about them. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Kolor Autopano Giga 3.0. Its a breeze, better than photoshop, especially for panos such as you have done. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

So, names. A series of photos laid side by side following the horizon is a panorama. So what's it called when you take pics vertically as well as horizontally, such as yours and my samples above?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I got Kolor Autopano Giga 3.0. Its a breeze, better than photoshop, especially for panos such as you have done. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

So, names. A series of photos laid side by side following the horizon is a panorama. So what's it called when you take pics vertically as well as horizontally, such as yours and my samples above?

Vertorzontal panorama? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary, a bit of a mouthful but inspiring though! In the absence of a proper name or until someone else comes up with a better one than yours (which I doubt) I shall call them

VERTIZONTARAMAs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was it on here that first gave us this idea? He produced some wonderful pictures, Austria was it?
He demonstrated the bokehrama style of picture, something I tried a few times too, a bit like the Brenezier Method.

Damned if I can remember the guy's name....
anyone?
anyone?
(a little nod to Ferris Bueller there Wink )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Thanks Gary, a bit of a mouthful but inspiring though! In the absence of a proper name or until someone else comes up with a better one than yours (which I doubt) I shall call them

VERTIZONTARAMAs

I'm liking that one Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASTER is Tobias
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stitching-t19182.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/new-2012-advanced-guide-to-panorama-stiching-t49676.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
MASTER is Tobias
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stitching-t19182.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/new-2012-advanced-guide-to-panorama-stiching-t49676.html

Of course, Tobias! That's the man!
Thanks Attila, I couldn't think of his name.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must give it a try