Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 27 - Pentacon 50mm/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 27 - Pentacon 50mm/1.8 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics. A good lens of course.

Good and neutral contrast, with natural colors (a bit in the cold side).

Good resolution power.

If you compare the pentacon's images with the same taken with other lenses, (v.g. smc 1,4, pancolar 1,8/50, all in M42), you can see taht the contrast is medium, and the same in the resolution power topic.

But watched that images alone, without any comparison with others, they are OK .

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it has 0.33 m minimum focusing distance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures. I particularly like the shot of the keys, the compostion is stunning, bet you took your time laying them out just perfectly.

I think the best way to sum up the Pentacon is 'Good enough for most situations and rarely fails to render a good image'.

I'm happy using mine until my skills develop to the point I'm good enough to justify buying a better lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice pictures. I particularly like the shot of the keys, the compostion is stunning, bet you took your time laying them out just perfectly.

actually, it took a second to set them up, because they are held together with a wire, so i just layed them on the top of the pc casing and shot them

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

I have this lens, I noticed that the photos are "cooler" than my other 50mm lenses yes. Though I can't say it's a "wow" lens I certainly find it dependable, always decent photos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirDon wrote:
estudleon wrote:

I have this lens, I noticed that the photos are "cooler" than my other 50mm lenses yes. Though I can't say it's a "wow" lens I certainly find it dependable, always decent photos.

I found the lens like one of the good ones in B&W film.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon I had from an old Praktica (I suppose they were all That) was very sharp in the centre but disappointing at the edges.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironfan wrote:
The Pentacon I had from an old Praktica (I suppose they were all That) was very sharp in the centre but disappointing at the edges.

good thing i'm using it on olympus dslr then Wink so i use the center part of the glass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I pick up a 50mm lens I usually go for a Helios 44M before the Pentacon, and I don't know why really, habit I guess, because the Pentacon has never disappointed me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the 'auto' or 'electric' version? Is there any difference in image quality between the two?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Is this the 'auto' or 'electric' version? Is there any difference in image quality between the two?

mine is "auto" version

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same kens, only mc coating difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
They are the same kens, only mc coating difference.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first manual focus lens on my Sony A300. At that time I had only the Tamron 18-200 (AF) which came with the Sony.

After some experimenting the results were stunning, certainly in comparison with the Tamron!
I still like it, and I still use it, the MFD of 33cms is so nice to use! Now I have 3 different versions of this lens, just wanted to have them for some reason... some call it gear acquisition syndrome....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice example shots!. I have the Electric version which came from a broken Praktica and I am very happy with the results from it. It may not stack up side by side with more exotic glass, so I don't stack it up side by side with anything else. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderfully underrated! I too got one with a praktica once upon a time, now i have 3 variants of it too Razz

It has the romance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lens I keep going back to, and a lens that although it doesn't disappoint me it doesn't seem to live up to its expectations - or my expectations at least. I have the 30 3.5 and love it, but this 50mm keeps getting beaten by the Helios for me. I really should persist with the Pentacon, I'm sure it is a very good lens. Perhaps it's the way I use it ? Confused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine pretty much lives on my 400D... and I have another 2 of them. I can't seem to say no for a tenner each.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look bad, weirdly enough. I shot with one and it was one of the worst lenses I ever shot with. Just HORRIBLE. Extremely soft wide op through f/2.8. After that it got a little better, but still sub-par.

These look very good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing any images. Any idea why?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

they are visible. maybe your browser is blocking images from flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
Doesn't look bad, weirdly enough. I shot with one and it was one of the worst lenses I ever shot with. Just HORRIBLE. Extremely soft wide op through f/2.8. After that it got a little better, but still sub-par.

These look very good!

Bad example is my guess. While not the best 50mm, it's certainly no slouch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
uddhava wrote:

they are visible. maybe your browser is blocking images from flickr

Oh, okay you are correct my browser has some problem with flickr that I have not been able to solve. Too bad, interesting posts.

udd

Hey, all of the sudden I can see them! Great shots. Sometimes I can access flickr. Got lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might aswell post a link to some of my pictures with the Pentacon 50 lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/sets/72157630432051760/