Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring Time in the High Country -- Nikkor 105mm F2.5 AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Spring Time in the High Country -- Nikkor 105mm F2.5 AI Reply with quote

I took a ride up into the high country today for some photography and hiking. Spring is here at last. The grass is green, the wildflowers are blooming an the wildlife are feeling their oats.

Here are a couple of shots from today's hike. Taken with a Nikon D600, 105mm F2.5 AI lens and a E-Series 28mm F2.8 lens.

9-June-2013-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9-June-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9-June-2013-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shot is absolutely superb!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbe!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely amazing

tf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trio, did you use Landscape picture control on the D600 and not much PP?

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathtaking pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just perfect...the composition, colours...number one is incredible. Such a great scene Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, glad you liked them!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

Tomas

I did have landscape selected, but I shot these in RAW. I post processed through Capture NX2. I sharpened via High Pass filter. Then I brought the blacks up slightly using the D-Lighting. I then added a little contrast.

That was it. The colors are accurate to the location. The greens were very green and the new growth on the aspens were almost day-glo bright.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful scenery, well captured.
I am a little surprised at the ISO used, 1250 for the second one Surprised is that not a little bit high for a bright, sunny day?
I'm not being negative, just wondering why. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado CJ wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Tomas

I did have landscape selected, but I shot these in RAW. I post processed through Capture NX2. I sharpened via High Pass filter. Then I brought the blacks up slightly using the D-Lighting. I then added a little contrast.

That was it. The colors are accurate to the location. The greens were very green and the new growth on the aspens were almost day-glo bright.

Until i adjusted my monitor it was a setting that i didn t like, it s the opposite now, it s a very recognizable setting for a Nikon user that i use a lot now.

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I am a little surprised at the ISO used, 1250 for the second one Surprised is that not a little bit high for a bright, sunny day?

The elk were roughly 100 feet away and I wanted to get a very large depth of field, so I was using f/16 and hyperfocusing. I was also using a 3 stop soft grad ND filter and a linear polarizer, so that cut down on the light coming in.

On the first shot I had auto ISO set and set my minimum shutter to 1/80, which for a 105mm lens is a little slow. When the elk started boxing, I reset to a higher shutter speed to make sure that I wouldn't get any blurry images.

Anything under f/16 wasn't hyperfocusing correctly with the 105mm (either the elk or the mountains were a little blurry at 100%).

Last edited by Colorado CJ on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado CJ wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

The elk were roughly 100 feet away and I wanted to get sharp a very large depth of field, so I was using f/16 and hyperfocusing. On the first shot I had auto ISO set and set my minimum shutter to 1/80, which for a 105mm lens is a little slow. When the elk started boxing, I reset to a higher shutter speed to make sure that I wouldn't get any blurry images.

Anything under f/16 wasn't hyperfocusing correctly with the 105mm (either the elk or the mountains were a little blurry at 100%).
Thanks for the explanation. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great series

Thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like staring out a window with very beautiful views, enjoyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply stunning colour photography! All are lovely to see and No 1 made me smile: A fight going on and a passer-by looking but not getting involved. Just like Newcastle on a Saturday night. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
These are just perfect...the composition, colours...number one is incredible. Such a great scene Smile

+1. What a fantastic series.