Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit Zenitar 85mm f/1.4 on Fujifilm GFX 50S II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Zenit Zenitar 85mm f/1.4 on Fujifilm GFX 50S II Reply with quote

The optical design of the 85mm f/1.4 Zenitar dates back to a lens released in the 80s in limited quantities and available in K-Mount only, AFAIK. This lens has been available again brand new in a newly designed outer shell for some years now. I have one of the very first batches, brought by a friend when he was visiting Russia some years ago. I had to once dissemble it because a mount modification had gone bad so I know that the complete optics are being moved for focus as one single block, like an adapted enlarger lens.

I somehow had the feeling that it would perform nicely on the GFX sensor. I once had swaped its native F-mount to a self made MD-mount, so I just bought an appropriate adapter for that one.

The Zenitar has its share of spherical aberrations wide open and performance near infinity at f/1.4 is horrible. However, it shows absolutely no hard vignetting, has a very even light falloff and a very interesting rendering, especially at portrait distances, which I like a lot.

Some sample images from a recent walk in the neighborhood. All OOC JPGs this time. Because of the sill hard light around afternoon, all shot with a high quality polarizer. If you see a slight decentering of the vignetting, that's due to the image stabilizer.

Solid performance at f/2:

Detail at f/2.8:

Increase of detail from f/1.4 over f/2.8 to f/2.8:

Light falloff at infinity for f/1.4, f/2 and f/8:

Will it flare? Oh yes, it will: the 80s called, they want their multicoating back (full sun in the image will reduce contrast and increase flair even more, a lot more!)

Performance at f/8 again:

Thanks for watching!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zenit Zenitar 85mm f/1.4 on Fujifilm GFX 50S II Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
The optical design of the 85mm f/1.4 Zenitar dates back to a lens released in the 80s in limited quantities and available in K-Mount only, AFAIK. This lens has been available again brand new in a newly designed outer shell for some years now. I have one of the very first batches, brought by a friend when he was visiting Russia some years ago. I had to once dissemble it because a mount modification had gone bad so I know that the complete optics are being moved for focus as one single block, like an adapted enlarger lens.

I somehow had the feeling that it would perform nicely on the GFX sensor. I once had swaped its native F-mount to a self made MD-mount, so I just bought an appropriate adapter for that one.

The Zenitar has its share of spherical aberrations wide open and performance near infinity at f/1.4 is horrible. However, it shows absolutely no hard vignetting, has a very even light falloff and a very interesting rendering, especially at portrait distances, which I like a lot.

Some sample images from a recent walk in the neighborhood. All OOC JPGs this time. Because of the sill hard light around afternoon, all shot with a high quality polarizer. If you see a slight decentering of the vignetting, that's due to the image stabilizer.

Solid performance at f/2:

Detail at f/2.8:

Increase of detail from f/1.4 over f/2.8 to f/2.8:

Light falloff at infinity for f/1.4, f/2 and f/8:

Will it flare? Oh yes, it will: the 80s called, they want their multicoating back (full sun in the image will reduce contrast and increase flair even more, a lot more!)

Performance at f/8 again:

Thanks for watching!

I have this lens in the N mount for Nikon, and I like it very much. Yes, corners at f1.4 leave something to be desired, but center performance is good even wide open and I very much like the rendering and bokeh. These on Sony A7R2 and R4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed 👍

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kymarto these are very nice samples, indeed. I didn't do much close-up work with this lens yet, but your pictures motivate me to do so. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian S. wrote:
@kymarto these are very nice samples, indeed. I didn't do much close-up work with this lens yet, but your pictures motivate me to do so. Thanks for posting.

Fully agree - always a joy to view your shots, Toby!