Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri cc auto 135mm 3.5, petri breech mount.
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Petri cc auto 135mm 3.5, petri breech mount. Reply with quote

Shot on an original Petri breech to M42 adapter which gives an extension tube effect on the Alpha mount, I picked up this in mint with a 55mm f2, 35mm 2.8 and 28mm 3.5 for peanuts, from a petri flex V3 from about 1964 I think. If anyone has converted the lenses to Alpha or M42 mount and is willing to share please let me know, they look worth converting. I can get up to around 10/11 feet on the 135mm but macro with the rest.

1

2

3

4

5

All wide open or stopped down a half click to f4, no pp. Standard camera settings, except 5 which may have been at 5.6.


PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photos are remarkably sharp with bold, vivid, colours; quite impressive, really.

You have demonstrated simultaneously the bright promise of the Petri lenses . . . and the limitations owing to mount considerations.

I began buying the Petris (I have five so far) before discovering I'm less able readily to deal with the mount dilemma than I anticipated. So I've stopped buying, at least for now. Such great and inexpensive lenses; such annoying and challenging mounts. Sad


PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful pictures


PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it is a pity if the mount can`t be altered, there is a U.S. source on ebay selling adapters for NEX, despite my misgivings about its ergonomics I may have to invest in one some day.

If anyone comes up with a workaround in the meantime i`m all ears!


PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Thanks, it is a pity if the mount can`t be altered, there is a U.S. source on ebay selling adapters for NEX, despite my misgivings about its ergonomics I may have to invest in one some day.

If anyone comes up with a workaround in the meantime i`m all ears!


I don't know NEX at all, so am unable to comment.

But surely the Petri breech-lock lenses can be used on m4/3 cameras, provided one has a proper adapter.

It's their use with many DSLR cameras that's problematic because the Petri lenses have a somewhat short register distance.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter. The Petri breach lock register depth (43.5mm) is shorter than M42 (45.46mm). The so called adapters selling on dBay are actually the front ends off of extension tube sets that had M42 threaded tubes.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

JCDowdy wrote:
There is no such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter. The Petri breach lock register depth (43.5mm) is shorter than M42 (45.46mm). The so called adapters selling on dBay are actually the front ends off of extension tube sets that had M42 threaded tubes.


John interesting post. And welcome!

Certainly the problem with the register distances exists. I made mention of it in my post just above yours.

If you could post a link to the "adapters selling on eBay" as you call them, it would be a help. To do that, first obtain (i.e., copy) the auction number. Then click the "eBay" box above, paste the number immediately after what pops up, then click the "eBay" box above a second time to close the link.

As I wrote above, my purchases of the Petri lenses remain on hold. But somebody is buying them. The prices have risen a LOT!


PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

Quote:
If you could post a link to the "adapters selling on eBay" as you call them, it would be a help.


Here is the eBay link - Click here to see on Ebay The seller actually seems to be a good guy so please don't take this the wrong way. Yes, Petri glass is rising. I hope it is just a bubble as I am searching for a good 35mm f3.5 breach lock.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....actually the front ends off of extension tube sets that had M42 threaded tubes.


Here is a link to a pfd manual showing extension tubes on last page
http://www.cameramanuals.org/petri_pdf/petri_ft_ee.pdf
This image excerpted from same:



I have also seen the rear flange sold seperately as an M42 to Petri adapter. Petri did sell M42 adapters in later years also.
Shame really to break up a set, I wouldn't mind such a set of tubes myself.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

JCDowdy wrote:
Quote:
If you could post a link to the "adapters selling on eBay" as you call them, it would be a help.


Here is the eBay link - Click here to see on Ebay The seller actually seems to be a good guy so please don't take this the wrong way. Yes, Petri glass is rising. I hope it is just a bubble as I am searching for a good 35mm f3.5 breach lock.


John, thank you for posting that auction. Yes, that's the adapter I had seen prior; months ago to be honest.

Scuttlebutt back then was infinity focus is not possible with that adapter. And of course the adapter is not inexpensive.

Have you bought one of those and achieved infinity focus? I did not buy that adapter because of the cost and because I would like to have infinity focus.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petri-Petriflex-Breech-Lock-Mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-mount-NEX5-NEX7-etc-adapter-/170968509847?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27ce846d97

The description doesn't agree with the heading so you'll want to make sure you're getting the right one, but I bought a miranda/nex from the same seller and am quite satisfied with it. I think the seller designs and produces them himself.
An excellent seller who even sent me a note that he was refunding me because shipping had cost him less than he had thought!


PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenny wrote:
...
An excellent seller who even sent me a note that he was refunding me because shipping had cost him less than he had thought!


A nice touch I think, and I have done it myself much to the surprise on buyers.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Scuttlebutt back then was infinity focus is not possible with that adapter. And of course the adapter is not inexpensive.

Have you bought one of those and achieved infinity focus?


Yes, I did in fact and no it did not allow INF focus with an M42 to 4/3 adapter on my G3. The fit was also very tight and only some of the Petri breach lock lenses would fit. The seller was most cooperative and helpful and I have since done other business with them.

Still, am perplexed as to why fit was such a problem. Must be variance in flange thickness over the span of models as Petri evolved the mount. I have since purchased Petri breach lock to 4/3 adapters so perhaps the adapter ring in question will resume the intended function of M42 extension tube flange for macro use.

I particularly like the esthetic of the silver metal focus rings on the earlier breach lock lenses. My son says they are "steam punk" and as we all know, teens are the arbiters of cool!


PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenny wrote:
Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Petri-Petriflex-Breech-Lock-Mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-mount-NEX5-NEX7-etc-adapter-/170968509847?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27ce846d97

The description doesn't agree with the heading so you'll want to make sure you're getting the right one, but I bought a miranda/nex from the same seller and am quite satisfied with it. I think the seller designs and produces them himself.
An excellent seller who even sent me a note that he was refunding me because shipping had cost him less than he had thought!


This is the same seller I got my Petri-Petriflex-Breech-Lock-Mount-to-4/3 adapter from. Excellent seller indeed, especally welcome when sourcing such uncommon adapters for "orphan" mounts!


PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

JCDowdy wrote:
guardian wrote:
Scuttlebutt back then was infinity focus is not possible with that adapter. And of course the adapter is not inexpensive.

Have you bought one of those and achieved infinity focus?


Yes, I did in fact and no it did not allow INF focus with an M42 to 4/3 adapter on my G3. The fit was also very tight and only some of the Petri breach lock lenses would fit. The seller was most cooperative and helpful and I have since done other business with them.

Still, am perplexed as to why fit was such a problem. Must be variance in flange thickness over the span of models as Petri evolved the mount. I have since purchased Petri breach lock to 4/3 adapters so perhaps the adapter ring in question will resume the intended function of M42 extension tube flange for macro use.

I particularly like the esthetic of the silver metal focus rings on the earlier breach lock lenses. My son says they are "steam punk" and as we all know, teens are the arbiters of cool!


Thanks. Very valuable post. Adaptation of Petri breech-lock lenses is a big deal.

And I agree on the shiny focus rings. Except:

I got my bell rung badly on one. Brought in what was supposed to be a pristine 28mm and the chrome turned out to be irreparably marred. I did not forgive the seller even though the glass was perfect. Assume the original owner must have been a ring wearer. Sad


PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
....the chrome turned out to be irreparably marred. I did not forgive the seller even though the glass was perfect....(

I can forgive cosmetic flaws much more easily than bad glass!
I have several that are sadly the other way round.


PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

JCDowdy wrote:
There is no such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter. The Petri breach lock register depth (43.5mm) is shorter than M42 (45.46mm). The so called adapters selling on dBay are actually the front ends off of extension tube sets that had M42 threaded tubes.


I know there's been some years since last answer, I wonder if there is any possibility to use Minolta MD (43,72) to Sony E ,by removing the MD mount and glue to the adapter the Petri camera's mount ? Maybe wouldn't reach them infinity but should be pretty close to it? For instance, maybe using a lathe to remove a bit of the adapter?


PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
....glue... ...lathe...


Or you can buy an adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183531447851


PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No such thing as a Petri breach lock to M42 adapter Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
kiddo wrote:
....glue... ...lathe...


Or you can buy an adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183531447851


45+6$ would be 51$ + customs and fees would go up to 90$ or more in Spain,not really the best thing to use the 55 1.8 petri breech lock lens , isn't it?


PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that depends on how you value your labor and how long all the gluing and machining will take.