Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50 arrived
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50 arrived Reply with quote

I got the lens yesterday but haven't tested it properly yet due to the cloudy weather. It seems to have better contrast than the uncoated S-K Radionar 2.9/50 but may have worse bokeh than that front cell focusing lens - that was to be expected. The Trioplan is a very small and light lens, 82 g of aluminum, glass and some plastic, practically pristine. Here it is compared to the Industar-50-2, about as wide but slightly longer:

and mounted on my 350D:

and a front view:

Finally two initial bokeh test photos:

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cute lens!
And a typical three-element-bokeh. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the first test photo. The trioplan give a nice artistic bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I really like the first test photo. The trioplan give a nice artistic bokeh.

I agree. Another lens to put on the list Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the bokeh is not as smooth as Radionar's but it still looks more than acceptable esp. if compared with contemporary lenses.

I also notice a very good colour density, don't know if this is due to the shooting conditions or if it may be a quality of the lens and coating.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking lens with very nice performance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the weather I went to take a few test shots, and it turned out the Trioplan performs quite adequately even in rather low contrast light. I took some bokeh test shots, which exhibit quite clear bright edge and double lining. Here are two examples:

However, this lens is quite sharp, and the colors are nice:

Here is an unsharpened crop, even on a 350D there is some Moire a little bit aft of "SILJA LINE":

My customary test shot:

and a crop:

More test shots at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_trioplan.html

A quite nice little lens.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the minimal distance of this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus scale on my Exakta mount copy stops at just under 2' but in practice it seems nearer 18".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cute lenses, even if they not provide the best quality. Good to see them in action. I just imagine Canonian faces when look these lens on your cam Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
OK the bokeh is not as smooth as Radionar's but it still looks more than acceptable esp. if compared with contemporary lenses.

Now, let's see, here is my 50mm Summicron at f/2.8, quite good, in my opinion better than the Trioplan:

and the 50mm uncoated Radionar at f/2.9, exposed to somewhat compensate for the 0.6 stop losses:

At close focus, this front cell focusing triplet has a rather Gaussian bokeh, and the objects in the DOF region are soft but have more definite outlines, still recognizable, just gradually melting away with increasing distance. The contrast is lower, which also makes focusing slightly more difficult, especially given the more indefinite focus point.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures, Veijo! Your photos represents typical Trioplan characteristics. This lens is very nice - not the sharpest, but with strong character! I hope, I'll grab some Trioplan 2.9/50 with M42 screw. My cousin has two copies in excellent condition, unfortunately with Altix mount Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:
Thanks for the pictures, Veijo! Your photos represents typical Trioplan characteristics. This lens is very nice - not the sharpest, but with strong character!

There is nothing wrong with the sharpness, but a single coated lens has, of course, lower contrast than a modern MC lens. If you examine the full resolution version of ferry photo very closely, you'll see that the lens has about as much resolution as the 350D can handle or even a little bit more - judging by the Moire, and the very thin white antennas can be discerned at so low contrast that you wouldn't probably see them at all on color neg material. The base full size version hasn't been sharpened at all, but I've also provided a rather gently sharpened version, which would normally be the one to use. The sky was complete overcast so the general contrast level was on the low side - e.g. the men at the lower right corner cast no shadow at all. The distance to the back gate of the ferry is about 800 m, and the distance to the trees and buildings behind the bow of the ferry is about 2.5 - 3 km. The distance to the white pier on the left is about 1.2 km. Except for the contrast, I doubt that any of my 50mm lenses would have done much better because of the limited resolution of the 350D.

Of course, a CZ Planar or Leitz Summicron is much better, but more often than not it makes pretty little difference in practice. You must, however, be rather careful with the Trioplan bokeh, it may get quite wild at times.

Veijo

Veijo

Last edited by vilva on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the precise answer, Veijo! You're right, this lens is sharp enough for everyday use. Maybe not as sharp as newer Zeiss or Zuiko lenses, but it's hard to find big differences. CMOS / CCD sensor is the limiter. I think that in sunny days also the contrast should be quite good!
I have longer version (Trioplan 100mm) - it gives similar results. Quite soft when wide open, pretty sharp and more contrasting when stopped down. I wish I have the shorter version (2.9/50). Of course the bokeh sometimes is problematic and dominates on the photos.
My today's photos from Trioplan 2.8/100:
http://forum.mflenses.com/springlike-pictures-taken-with-the-trioplan-2-8-100-t5898.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I like the OOF rendition, but the lens is surprisingly sharp. Thank you for the clear samples Veijo

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just confused what's the difference with meyer Domiplan 2.8/50. They are all 3 elements. Anybody knows?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexbird wrote:
Just confused what's the difference with meyer Domiplan 2.8/50. They are all 3 elements. Anybody knows?

According to Vade-Mecum, Domiplan is probably a redesign of Trioplan. In practice the differences would almost certainly be negligible.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody can tell me the filter size of Trioplan 2.9/50?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small Wink I never measured sorry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
OK the bokeh is not as smooth as Radionar's.

Hi Orio.

I had a kodak retina with radionar 2,8/50 and it was ugly image. OK at F/11 and 16. But from 2,8 to 5,6 really bad (my copy, of course) and at 8 good center and bad borders. I note a geat difference, in film, between 3 (Ysarex, vaskar, lanthar, radionar, pantar, etc.) and 4 elements lenses (ektar, skopar, tessar, xenar, etc) specially at corners.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my "E.Ludwig Meritar 2.9/50" is a very similar lens: