Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Elmarit-R 24
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Leitz Elmarit-R 24 Reply with quote

In order to get a wide angle lens for my newly aquired Alpha 7ii I decited to expand my Leica-R collection with an Elmarit-R 2.8/24. I found one in excellent condition for a non cheap, but resonable price.
I knew that this lens gets some kind of mixed reviews among Leica fans. But in fact it seems to be a fine lens. The centre of the image is already insanely sharp wide open, close up performance is as good as expected. The only weak point are the far edges of the image which only get good at F8 & F11 when focused to infinity. - For lanscape use, I can live with that.

My first two sample shots: Only some adjustements of color and contrast in LR

More to follow as soon as weather is fine again.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically a Minolta MD 24/2.8 but with Leica QC.
My Leica 35-70/3.4 out performed my Minolta 35-70/3.4, which is basically the same lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending a week in Den Haag (Netherlands) with family and friends I can give you some more interesting examples captured with this particular lens:

best ragards Timo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The centre of the image is already insanely sharp wide open,... The only weak point are the far edges of the image..."

So like your eyes see the world Smile.

It may be because it's sunday morning and I'm enjoying my first coffee of the day, but those images are very easy on the eye Timo. I'm enjoying just taking them in and having a look around within them. And I suspect that's down to the lens if you've minimised post processing.

I find some images today, while unarguably technically brilliant, can be so incredibly sharp and without any of the natural idiosyncrasies you find in your own sight when looking at the world, that you find it difficult to pause over them for any length of time. A bit like trying to look at something while having the sun in your eyes. You can inevitably find looking to be a tiring experience.

Thanks for showing the Den Haag set. It must be near 30 years since I was there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! My favorite is the shot of the DS, really well done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Nice! My favorite is the shot of the DS, really well done.

I'd agree. There's something about that shot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree to all the comments above - a good series and fun to look at it

the DS shows its age and is parked beside a wrecked boat,
but it shows as well proudly his former use with the red cross
this picture triggers my "time machine"