Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hellios 58/2 aperture????
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Hellios 58/2 aperture???? Reply with quote

A friend has asked me to sell the Zenit-E/58-2 camera and lens.
I understand the lens is worth more than the body, and so I would likely ebay the lens by itself.
...but before I do I took this shot of the aperture to ask you all what you think of the leaves...

I have to say that they open/close VERY smoothly (the focusing ring does too)
...and whatever it is about them doesn't seem to be liquid, even though it looks like it...

Could it be the result of being exposed to heat?...it looks like liquid and bubbly, but there's no change in the appearance after opening and closing the leaves so it looks messy but it won't be drippy....

Any ideas would be appreciated...thank you...

[shot taken with Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8]

Last edited by mfkita on Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is oil. The lens most likely have preset aperture (you use the out ring to preset to the smallest setting and inner ring closes to that setting) and it is not atypical for helios from that era to be like this. Since there is no automatic operation and everything is done by head, oil will not cause any harm unless it migrates to lens elements.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's result of DIY and crappy re-lube of focus device, grease is melted , and went to blades, this amount looks to me higher a lot than usual amount, it will go to glass (I think already there) and cause little haze fog, it will reduce contrast , which is pretty low anyway , so may not harm much.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it LOOKS like oil but as I said, the "drips" do not change shape after closing and opening the aperture...it's as if the oil is BAKED on to the leaves...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very strange ..

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was left in a car on a very sunny day, causing the grease to melt and some of the thinner to evaporate, resulting in hardened grease on the blades. Considering the cost to buy a good one, I would not buy this one.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely been that way for a long time...too bad...thanks for the replies everyone...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a desirable lens, but you may not get top dollar for it. Maybe post some test shots in your listing to show it has no effect on IQ.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the glass is clean, I would not worry. I have Russian lenses with oily aperture blades and I have no problem with them. The texture looks weird for this lens, but if it is clean and if the blades move without impediment, it should be as good as any other copy.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that clean glass and freely moving functions makes for a perfectly useable lens...but not a saleable one...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sell it on ebay, then no matter how accurately you describe and photograph the problem, the chances are some optimistic moron will buy it, return it and give you negative feedback. Rolling Eyes

My last Zenit with a Helios 44 lens in good condition cost me about £12 including postage. Is your feedback reputation worth risking for such a low value item?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
If you sell it on ebay, then no matter how accurately you describe and photograph the problem, the chances are some optimistic moron will buy it, return it and give you negative feedback. Rolling Eyes

My last Zenit with a Helios 44 lens in good condition cost me about £12 including postage. Is your feedback reputation worth risking for such a low value item?

+10 no way to sell it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its works, it works Cool

If you are trying to sell it, open it up and clean it bro Razz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is also that it was a DIY relubig attempt with the wrong lube.
As long as it doesn't hit the glas and everything works smooth ignore it.
When it reaces the glas, open the lens, soak and clean the blades with a solvent (paint thinner etc., heating might be necessary) and use a better lube for relubing.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why sell a Helios anyway?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Why sell a Helios anyway?

I've got three 44-2 and two 44M, just in case one wears out. Laughing