Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Water damaged Tak. 24mm 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Water damaged Tak. 24mm 3.5 Reply with quote

Is it possible to repair a water damaged lens back into service? The blades are stuck open and the glass is brown, maybe algae or rust. I found it for $50 and just wanted to know if it was too far gone.

-Hunt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, yeah. Give it a shot for sure. Biggest problem I can conjure is possible corrosion which could make disassembly tough. Maybe a good penetrant soak might be needed before you begin . . . . something that'll dissolve any corrosion. If the lens disassembles easily as is, you'll probably still need a penetrant soak for the stuck aperture.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I will give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repaired 2 water damaged lenses, a tamron that came out of the ocean which amazingly had only corrosion on a spring of the adaptall 2 mount (and half kilo of sand inside) and a vivitar series 1, unfortunately that one had corrosion on the blades that created some small holes on a couple of them but the lens was still usable.

Good luck