Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opinions on tools (Hello everyone I'm new here)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Opinions on tools (Hello everyone I'm new here) Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new here.
I have been obsessed with manual focus lenses since I used my dads Minolta XG1 with a 50mm back in 2000 when people started getting crappy digicams.

I'm the type who pretty much buy lenses because of the interest of engineering...whooa, I said it.. well it's the truth, I like taking pictures but the main interest in manual lenses really isn't about using them (if not for testing corner sharpness lol)...

So, I have taken lenses apart in the past but now I really want to start from scratch and buy proper tools, books etc.
I need a little help so here we go:

Spanners

I really don't like the idea of those spanners with replaceable blades...a screw holding a slotted tip that has to be able to hold force don't feel good. That's why all the ones posted below have non-interchangeable tips, seems more solid to me.

Some variations I'm watching on eBay...

So, is it important that I get a tool that has angled tips instead of straight? Anyone of the tools above that you could recommend or want me to stay away from?

Next, lifting lenses

Has anyone used these vacuum pens for lifting lenses?

or this tool?

Pen vs suction cup, opinions?

I have 20+ things I will be buying but the tools above are what I need some help with.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on tools (Hello everyone I'm new here) Reply with quote

Hej and welcome Smile
Here are your missing links:

perkabrod wrote:

http://www.gbeshop.com/InfoBase/SAVEBASE/PKG/002169/Image/DSC_0010_10.jpg
http://www.marcmart.com/ebay/s/ST074/ST074-3m.jpg
http://www.micro-tools.de/out/pictures/1/spp_p1.jpg

http://www.micro-tools.de/out/pictures/1/hp_p1.jpg
http://www.micro-tools.de/out/pictures/1/ls_p1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile

This drives me crazy, all the links are in my post, with img and /img withing brackets before and after url... Images shows up when I preview the post but I can't see them after I clicked submit.

Thanks for quoting the links so other people can click them at least... Smile

EDIT: *cough* well I apparently had some adblock extension running...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on tools (Hello everyone I'm new here) Reply with quote

It's better to simply quote: easier and one gets to read the text as well Wink

perkabrod wrote:
Hi there, I'm new here.
I have been obsessed with manual focus lenses since I used my dads Minolta XG1 with a 50mm back in 2000 when people started getting crappy digicams.

I'm the type who pretty much buy lenses because of the interest of engineering...whooa, I said it.. well it's the truth, I like taking pictures but the main interest in manual lenses really isn't about using them (if not for testing corner sharpness lol)...

So, I have taken lenses apart in the past but now I really want to start from scratch and buy proper tools, books etc.
I need a little help so here we go:

Spanners

I really don't like the idea of those spanners with replaceable blades...a screw holding a slotted tip that has to be able to hold force don't feel good. That's why all the ones posted below have non-interchangeable tips, seems more solid to me.

Some variations I'm watching on eBay...

So, is it important that I get a tool that has angled tips instead of straight? Anyone of the tools above that you could recommend or want me to stay away from?

Next, lifting lenses

Has anyone used these vacuum pens for lifting lenses?

or this tool?

Pen vs suction cup, opinions?

I have 20+ things I will be buying but the tools above are what I need some help with.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perkabrod wrote:
Hi Smile

This drives me crazy, all the links are in my post, with img and /img withing brackets before and after url... Images shows up when I preview the post but I can't see them after I clicked submit.

Thanks for quoting the links so other people can click them at least... Smile

EDIT: *cough* well I apparently had some adblock extension running...

Nope, that's not an issue with your computer. Images and links in your first post do not show up; it's an anti-spam measure. You'll be fine from now on.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have number 3 spanners all three of them, they are ok but can have a tendancy to slip a bit if you are not careful

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
I have number 3 spanners all three of them, they are ok but can have a tendancy to slip a bit if you are not careful

Can you dis- and reassemble them so that the tip points in or out?

With all three, you have 1x slotted, 1x pointed, 1x wide slotted? I think I've seen those versions on micro tools website.
But I really want to know if I can adjust them easily if needed to change the tip direction, in/out Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can change them round so point outwards the issue is the bottom bar does not lock in place so slides out i use some motorbike grommets to lock in place

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! ^^ Does sound a little flimsy, never noticed that the bottom bar doesn't have locking screws.

I'm getting this and will post my honest opinions once I have used it:

I'm also gonna buy the suction cup from micro tools and will report opinions on that as well.
I'm guessing this is the exact same as micro tools are selling (based on the fact that this japan-hobby-tool website has a lot of the same products, grease, spanners etc as micro tools sell as "imported")

Link to suction cup in use:
http://www.japan-hobby-tool.com/cart/syouhin.php?cat=00000011&no=00000072

Update: Japan Hobby Tool also sell this, I wonder if it is WYSIWYG...The nerd in me wants it Cool