Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 Photos Reply with quote

Here are some with the 50mm... been rushing as it is about to rain.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to love that lens, I bet you'll keep going back to it. Those are great shots.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the Pentax 50's I have, I think I like this one the most, nice rendering, handles flare better than the M & A's do(IMO).
I'd shoot it more but I have so many new lenses in trying to get a handle on I haven't shot with it in a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Out of all the Pentax 50's I have, I think I like this one the most, nice rendering, handles flare better than the M & A's do(IMO).
I'd shoot it more but I have so many new lenses in trying to get a handle on I haven't shot with it in a while.

А 50 1.2 is so much better! Smile And so much more expensive too. I have tested both on 1.4 and the A 50 1.2 is just much more usable.

A 50 1.2@1.4

SMC Tak 50 1.4@1.4

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really need more normal f1.2 lenses, although, if a cheap good lens presents its self, I can see myself buying it.
I am more of a WA shooter anyways, but when a FF EVIL comes along I may start using longer focal lengths again.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great rendering and sharpness!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the SMC version, but I had three Super Taks, all excellent. I now only kept the earlier 8 element version. The only weakness I noticed was LoCA, which is typical of many Takumar/Pentax lenses up to DA series. The surprise was that this old design was significantly sharper than the more recent FA 50/1.4 - embarrassingly so, really. I would not say that this design surpasses Zeiss designs, but it is special in its own way.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
I don't have the SMC version, but I had three Super Taks, all excellent. I now only kept the earlier 8 element version. The only weakness I noticed was LoCA, which is typical of many Takumar/Pentax lenses up to DA series. The surprise was that this old design was significantly sharper than the more recent FA 50/1.4 - embarrassingly so, really. I would not say that this design surpasses Zeiss designs, but it is special in its own way.

Тhe 8 element version is known for it's sharpness. It is the sharpest 50 1.4 pentax have ever made, including the A 50 1.2@1.4.
The FA 50 1.4 is known for it's softness Smile it gets better closed down and at 4.0 is sharper than takumars(7element) and K, M, A 50 1.4 models but wide open... the FA is weak.
All pentax fast 50s(1.4 and faster) are zeiss design standard planar 7 lenses 6 groups but the 8 element was made with more care and one extra element using lanthanum glass(not radioactive) therefore it was not that cheap for production and didn't last long.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a super-takumar 50/1.4, the yellow version

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 Photos Reply with quote

nutellaface wrote:

Very nice atmospheric shot.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience withy the 4 types of 1,4 takumar 50 mm, tell me that the one to look for is the Super Multi Coated 1,4/50.

All the copies of this, in my hand, had more resolution power and contrast than the 8 elements and the super takumar with 7 ones.

The 8 elements were very prone to flare, with lost of resolution and contrast. No take pictures with them in cloudy days nor with a light in the frame, nor clear background, etc.

In 1964 the nikkor S 1,4/50 was better, by far, than the 8 elements takumar.

It's my experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 Photos Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
nutellaface wrote:

Very nice atmospheric shot.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
My experience withy the 4 types of 1,4 takumar 50 mm, tell me that the one to look for is the Super Multi Coated 1,4/50.

The 8 elements were very prone to flare, with lost of resolution and contrast.

It's my experience.

Matches my experience with the 8element, but it has a different rendering then the 7's have.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

All the copies of this, in my hand, had more resolution power and contrast than the 8 elements and the super takumar with 7 ones.

The 8 elements were very prone to flare, with lost of resolution and contrast. No take pictures with them in cloudy days nor with a light in the frame, nor clear background, etc.

I actually avoided the S-M-C/SMC versions because I hoped that the earlier versions with fewer coatings might be more distinctive. The 8 element did seem to have a slightly more vintage rendering and the 7 element did seem to be a bit sharper, but overall both Super Taks produce results very similar to modern lenses. So I didn't really get what I was looking for, but I am not disappointed either.

Regarding flare, I never had a real problem, but then I always used lens hoods and I rarely try to shoot directly towards strong light sources.

Here are a few examples:

8 element Super Tak 50/1.4:

@f/2.8:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5648439838

If it works for backlit subjects without flaring, I am happy.

@f/1.4:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/4873160445

7 element Super Tak 50/1.4:

@f/1.4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5674658294

To me, this last result of the 7 element looks very much like coming from a modern lens. It reminds me of what I was getting from the Nokton 58/1.4. I could only tell the difference on close inspection, because the Nokton is sharper and has less LoCA.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples with Super Takumar (ver. 37801) 50mm F1.4

F2.8 without any PP

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

The 8 elements were very prone to flare, with lost of resolution and contrast.

It's my experience.

Matches my experience with the 8element, but it has a different rendering then the 7's have.

+1
the S-M-C/SMC is the most versatile, the 8 element a 'speciality' lens

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SuperTakumar SMC 1.4 version, which is very nice. I need to de-yellowify the radio active element, but at the moment it is working as a body cap on the Spotmatic F - apparently the meter only shuts off when the lens cap is on.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, keep in mind that the most important factor is not the lens, nor the camera,
but the one that looks through the viewfinder and pushes the trigger Wink