Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice Summicron 90mm f/2 silver version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Advice Summicron 90mm f/2 silver version Reply with quote

I read all of posts about Summicron 90mm f/2 silver here. I got opportunity to buy this lens from colleague. So my question is what is reasonable price for this lens?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Summicron 90/2? There are several which are not all optically identical.
Even the oldest Summicron-M 90/2 is optically very good (sharp, good CA control, nice bokeh) and build like a tank though.
But color rendition and contrast is a matter of taste - it's not as good as some cheaper modern lenses like Samyang 85/1.4 on digital sensors. But it works wonderful for analog film.
Here some sample-photos: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61660&highlight=summicron+90

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is silver and it is made in Canada 1960 style. Nice photos here on forum you gave me link.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices vary from country to country, it seems. Retail shop price in UK likely to be over GBP £500 these days depending on condition. ebay prices can be absurd, of course. If the lens is in good-as-new mechanical and optical order then anything under £500 is now looking cheap for current market conditions. And I suppose prices will continue to go higher. Try Googling UK firms like Red Dot Cameras to check retailer pricing.

I had the early 1960s Canadian version once back in the days of Kodachrome 25 and I liked it a lot. I still think that version is "nicer" than the much lighter one that succeeded it, but everything depends on what you want from a lens. Film and digital do indeed respond differently. I have a Canon 85mm f2 Serenar which is older than the 90 Summicron but which gives exactly the sort of images I want on digital - and they can still be bought for prices under GBP £250, even on Ebay.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an early made in Germany Summicron-M 90/2 an paid about 280€ (Ebay.de) for it.