Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are all Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 Sonnar lens equal?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
evilhomura89 wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
There is some difference among early F4 version, zebra F4 version and F3.5 MC & F3.5 PB version. Compering only F3.5 models I think MC is the best. Followed by
zebra. PB is good, but coating (admittingly more resilient to cleaning liquids) enhances color / contrast in somehow strange way. Some might like it and it was a applauded in film era, but digital sensor is different story.

I was wondering if you know what is the "correct"/accurate color cast of the good/better coating found on these CZJ 135mm MC lenses. Thank you!

The accurate colour cast is no colour cast at all.
Though the most common cast is either being a bit warmer or cooler than neutral, this is simple to fix in post, Lightroom has an eyedropper WB tool that can remove any colour cast in one click, your AWB in the camera may correct the cast too.

Oh what I meant was the color on the coating itself on the lens. Not the cast on the image output.

Reason being I've been seeing mostly reddish/orange coating on the lens while some have bluish/purplish coating on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC vs. PB Coating can appear similar on photos but body cannot. It is altogether different. Not to mention the mount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilhomura89 wrote:
what I meant was the color on the coating itself on the lens

The last black 3.5/135 versions called MC have a red cast in the coating, i have only seen this with this model, it's a very good lens.
In the second picture you can see another "red coated" MC (top right) and an old 4/135 on the left next to it, which has no red cast (single coated?).

Jena DDR Sonnar 3.5/135 MC by René Maly, on Flickr

Zeiss Jena 1Q lenses by René Maly, on Flickr