Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 200mm f4 (M42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 200mm f4 (M42) Reply with quote

I picked this one up a while ago, thought I'd share it here Smile

I payed virtually nothing for it, the guy sold it together with another lens and a TC for 3 euros Shocked

Anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose and bought the lenses.

The other lens, a Cosinon 35mm 2.8 isn't too sharp and the Soligor 2x TC is just plain awful.

But this one, a Pentacon 200mm f4 proved to be quite a surprise!

Here's how it looks:

It's built like a tank, all metal with the aperture ring in front of the focus ring. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that my AF contacts on the camera are uncovered...I might look for a DIY solution for this.

Here's something interesting: the aperture. Just look at all those blades!
There's 15 of them if I counted correctly. Later we'll see that this gives the lens some incredible bokeh.
The ring doesn't "stop down" in clicks, it opens or closes the aperture with a smooth movement, enabling you to take any position between f4 and f22.

Now what really makes this lens shine: the pictures!

this first one was shot at f4, so wide open

( full res here )
Like I mentioned, wonderful silky bokeh, and sharp! This is a non-MC lens with slightly clouded glass, and still it brings out that image! No sharpening in PS applied, only corrected the levels and reduced the file size.

at f8 it's even sharper, but the bokeh becomes less smooth (as with any lens)

( full res here )

My copy is slightly scratched and dinged on the outside, and the glass has some "clouding" and some traces of dust. Still it produces grea results, so imagine what a mint example can do Very Happy

If you see this lens for a reasonable price: don't hesitate!

greets,
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tom! Welcome to this forum!

Nice shots indeed. Pleasant bohek!

I guess you will enjoy it here...

Carsten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Nice shots indeed. Pleasant bohek!

Bohek? You've been reading too many tongue-twisters!

Welcome Tom, no need to convince me about this lens - I'm waiting for one to arrive Smile

This lens was previously the Meyer Optik 4/200 Orestegor before the Pentacon merger. Later on they changed the design to a 6 blade iris with automatic operation, but I think the quality is not so good. The diaphragm on yours is the pre-set type - did you realise you can (pull or slide) the ring upwards towards the front of the lens to set it to the minimum aperture you require? This allows you to open the lens wide for focussing then stop down quickly to your setting without needing to take your eye away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The diaphragm on yours is the pre-set type - did you realise you can (pull or slide) the ring upwards towards the front of the lens to set it to the minimum aperture you require? This allows you to open the lens wide for focussing then stop down quickly to your setting without needing to take your eye away.

wow! no i did not know that Very Happy

That's awesome, thanks for the tip!

and thanks for the friendly welcome all Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here ! This lens one of my favourite lens!

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer200zebra/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great find. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

welcome here. You have some beautiful pics on your site, nice you joined us.

I've bid on a Meyer Orestegor 4/200 (the identical forerunner) yesterday by accident - I wanted the Zenit B that was sold - and I have won. Well, my plan was to resell the meyer but looking at you pics I fear that this would be a hard decision for me... Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Michael:

If you can, get the Orestegor's little brother - the Orestor 2.8/135.

It'll impress you even more, even at f2.8 Cool

Not quite a Sonnar, but very very close.