Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm f2 Pentax's ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: 35mm f2 Pentax's ? Reply with quote

I seem to remember the earlier 67mm thread version (Super Tak 35mm f2) was preferred to the later 49mm threaded ones (Super Tak 35mm f2)

I've been half looking for a Super Tak / SMC Tak 35mm f2 but note the price of the M 35mm f2 and even the FA35mm f2 are getting pretty close to the price of those Taks now.

Now I further thought the optical formula was more or less consistent from the 49mm Super Taks right through to the FA 35mm

Those that may have a;

FA 35mm f2
M 35mm f2
Super Tak 35mm f2

Anything in it? all good at F2?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Takumar 35mm/2 was part of my lens test:

http://forum.mflenses.com/test-of-different-35mm-lenses-on-aps-c-sensor-t71258,highlight,+35mm++test.html

The shortcomings fully open are self-explanatory. However, stopped down a little bit it's not bad at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both versions of the takumar: the smaller, newer was better in the center at wider aperture, more contrasty, and generally more "modern". The bigger, older has more consistent sharpness through the frame, but it's less sharp in the center wide open and it suffers a bit from glow at wider apertures. If I remember correctly, it shows very little CA and distortion, reminding me the behavior of the old 2.3/35 auto tak - which I loved. So in the end I kept the big one, but the other is not bad either.

Last edited by Aanything on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank you guys. Yes I forgot about that test you did Embarassed

Has anyone had the M 35mm f2?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
I seem to remember the earlier 67mm thread version (Super Tak 35mm f2) was preferred to the later 49mm threaded ones (Super Tak 35mm f2)

I've been half looking for a Super Tak / SMC Tak 35mm f2 but note the price of the M 35mm f2 and even the FA35mm f2 are getting pretty close to the price of those Taks now.

Now I further thought the optical formula was more or less consistent from the 49mm Super Taks right through to the FA 35mm

Those that may have a;

FA 35mm f2
M 35mm f2
Super Tak 35mm f2

Anything in it? all good at F2?

tromboads wrote:
[...] Has anyone had the M 35mm f2?

You seem to be skipping some of the Pentax 35/2 lenses. Also, the statement, "the optical formula was more or less consistent from the 49mm Super Taks right through to the FA 35mm", is not accurate.

As noted in other comments above, the two Super-Taks vary in qualities, but I'm not sure I'd say (only from what I've read) that the earlier version was better than the later one, or better than the S-M-C Tak (which was similar to the later Super-Tak). [However, I have no experience with any of the M42 35/2 versions.]

I currently have a K 35/2, which, like the screwmount 35/2 versions, also has an 8-element-7-groups design (although the K 35/2's 8-7 design does differ a bit from ~any~ of the M42 35/2 8-7 lenses).

I also used to have an A 35/2 (which, like the optically identical M 35/2, has a 7-7 design), but I've since replaced it with the K 35/2. While the A (and therefore the M) 35/2 design is quite good, and while the A exposure automation on a Pentax DSLR is convenient, I have found that the K 35/2 is optically just a bit better than the A 35/2, despite having to use stop-down metering with it on a Pentax DSLR (along with a bit of additional finagling because the Pentax DSLRs all seem to suffer a bit from "green button" exposure inaccuracies and/or inconsistencies).

[Similarly, I now have a K 28/2, which I replaced my A 28/2 with, for the same reason, and despite the same disadvantage, although I would say that the difference between the K and A 28/2 versions might be larger than the difference between the K and A 35/2 versions.]

My own experiences with the K 35/2 is that it is just a bit soft wide open but sharpens up nicely by f/2.8; it does not show much vignetting even wide open; it has nice bokeh (despite having only 6 aperture blades); but it does sometimes show (depending on lighting conditions) a bit of CA on a DSLR.

[I know next to nothing about the (optically different) FA 35/2.]

There are some user reviews of some of these lenses at:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-35mm-F2.html
[which sometimes discusses multiple screwmount versions -- read carefully]

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-35mm-F2-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-35mm-F2-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-35mm-F2-Lens.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pentax FA 35/2 AL. If it performed like the Super Tak in the above test (at F2), I would have sold it right away. The FA 35/2 is a fantastic little lens, deservedly very well regarded. If the price is about the same, go for it.

Also, have a look at these resolution results

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_35.html

RemcoR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemcoR wrote:
I have the Pentax FA 35/2 AL. If it performed like the Super Tak in the above test (at F2), I would have sold it right away. The FA 35/2 is a fantastic little lens, deservedly very well regarded. If the price is about the same, go for it.

Also, have a look at these resolution results

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_35.html

RemcoR

Interesting resolution results.

1. What about the other optical qualities ?

2. What is the build quality like ?

3. How is the manual focus feel ?

Some user reviews at http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-35mm-F2-Lens.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photozone gave it a highly recommended score. The IQ of the FA35/2 is very good imo. Here is one of mine at F2.

It is a plastic fantastic, so not build like a brick, therefore it is very light. It's a AF lens, but there is a rubberised focusing ring for mf, that gives enough grip.

RemcoR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemcoR wrote:
Photozone gave it a highly recommended score. The IQ of the FA35/2 is very good imo. Here is one of mine at F2.

[...]

It is a plastic fantastic, so not build like a brick, therefore it is very light. It's a AF lens, but there is a rubberised focusing ring for mf, that gives enough grip.

RemcoR

Very nice image, I would say - Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the M 2/35 but found it to be quite soft and therefore I sold it again.
The new 2.4/35 is much better - although a modern AF-lens
Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Super Takumar 2/35 ( second version ), still have S-M-C and FA35 and found the FA to be superior to these M42 versions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FA35/2.
Its very good on aps-c or FF.
Typical FA build quality (ie. polycarbonate shell, metal insides)
But typical Pentax too - smallish for a lens its timeline; solid feel; well made
MF is one of the better ones for an FA lens (lossey feeling MF) with good enough focus throw.
Very sharp lens stopped down a stop and beyond, and certainly sharp enough from wide open.
The only thing I dislike is the aperture blades (few) that can give hexaonal OOF highlights in some situations.

Wonderful lens.

On APS-C

29042012_2-IMGP0094 by jenkwang, on Flickr

27042012_IMGP0028_F025_035_FA35-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20130719-IMGP001635 mmPENTAX K-30 by jenkwang, on Flickr

On FF

20150116-DSC08199-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20150118-DSC08249-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr