Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unable to Focus-Helios 44 13 Blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Unable to Focus-Helios 44 13 Blades Reply with quote

Bought Helios 44 with Red n 13 blades lens from e bay few months ago.To get a suitable m39 adapter I had to try several sellers before I could get a usable one.Today I got the adapter. On attaching it to my Panasonic gh2 I find that it is not focusing.The lens seems to be in good condition.The focusing and the aperture rings work smoothly.Almost butter smooth.Some one might have fiddled with the focusing set up,I feel. Can any one guide me how to get focus on this lens or tell me what could be the problem ? I have Helios 44-2,44m-4,77m-4.All work perfectly with their respective adapters.

Can someone guide/help/suggest how to resolve this. ?

Thanks

Shrikant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens have SLR M39 mount with 45.2mm flange focal distance. You're got adapter for rangefinder M39 lenses with 28.8mm flange focal distance.
For this lens you need M39-M42 ring and M42 adapter. And some work to change FFD from 45.2 to 45.5mm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
This lens have SLR M39 mount with 45.2mm flange focal distance. You're got adapter for rangefinder M39 lenses with 28.8mm flange focal distance.
For this lens you need M39-M42 ring and M42 adapter. And some work to change FFD from 45.2 to 45.5mm.

Thanks a lot Very Happy

I have plenty of m42 adapters. When I held the lens loosely with the m 42 adapter on camera,everything came into focus. May be, once I get the ring I may need further guidance in changing the ffd from 45.2 to 45.5.For the present please tell me whether my choice is right.Are you talking of this kind of ring ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/42mm-39mm-M42-M39-Lens-mount-Step-Down-Ring-Adapter-/320766637170?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4aaf2e7472

Thanks

Shrikant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukemall wrote:
Yes, it this.

Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a nice brass step down ring for mine on the bay.

A question about your 44, mine has some nasty purple flare/reflection when shooting towards the sun, and I was wondering if yours does too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about the slight difference in FFD, you'll focus past infinity a bit so unless you use the numbers on your focusing scale you'll be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I found a nice brass step down ring for mine on the bay.

A question about your 44, mine has some nasty purple flare/reflection when shooting towards the sun, and I was wondering if yours does too.

I am yet to use it. I will know only when I get to attach a proper adapter on it.

philslizzy - Thanks for the advice.

Shrikant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Don't worry too much about the slight difference in FFD, you'll focus past infinity a bit so unless you use the numbers on your focusing scale you'll be ok.

Hi. Would it be the other way around? The M39 has a shorter FFD and when you put it on an M42 adapter that has a longer FFD it means the M39 will have difficulty hitting infinity?

This is the issue I am having with all my silver M39 lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an issue with my 44 @ infinity.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also never had such issues...

If you're using mirrorless camera, you can use helicoidale adapter like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1mm-Macro-Ultra-slim-M42-to-NEX-Adapter-M42-to-M42-17-31mm-Extension-Tube-/390807044870?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item5afdea4306

You'll be free to set a a shorter focal flange. The flat M42 is also usefull to adapt various lenses.