Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya-Sekor 2.8/80 from TLR on 6x9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Mamiya-Sekor 2.8/80 from TLR on 6x9 Reply with quote

I was surprised to find that the 80mm lens from my sadly broken Mamiyaflex 6x6 TLR just about covers 6x9 at infinity on my Century Graphic. There is a tiny amount of vignette, but nothing I can't live with. It's very sharp all across the frame, I forget what apertures I used but they were all shot at f16 or f22.

Agfa APX 100 exposed at 50 then souped in 1:3 Microdol-X for 21mins and 21C.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you forgot the link to the pictures, maybe... Razz
Greets, Timo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And the 105mm covers a 3x4 Fujiroid perfectly, as evidenced by this project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/71185779/duo-a-diy-twin-lens-reflex-camera-for-instant-film

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get the damn pictures to upload, sorry.

I hope to find a 105mm, I think it will be a cheaper alternative to a Planar or Xenotar.

I'm trying to find the best 'normal' lens I can for my Century, I have a nice Xenar 3.5/105 that came with it, and is probably more than adequate, I also have a Componon-S 5.6/100 I have mounted in a shutter that is a very sharp lens when tested on 35mm film on bellows and maybe a better lens on the Century than the Xenar. I also have a mint condition Ross Xpres 3.8/105 extracted from a broken Ensign Selfix 820, I intend to shoot them all and determine which I like.

I've been busily mounting all my suitable lenses in boards for the Century. I made the boards from an old cedar wood cigar box and some aluminium sheet I found in my dad's pile of scrap metal. Not as nice as a proper one and eventually I will buy some 3D printed ones, but for the meantime, they work alright and allow me to try out a bunch of lenses.

Here's the lenses I have mounted so far, clockwise from top left:

Schneider Angulon 6.8/65, came on a Graflex board, handily, not tried it yet
Schneider Componon-S 5.6/100 in Prontor-S, I had the Componon lying around for years, the Prontor originally housed a Baltar 2.9/75 from a Balda folder
Schneider Xenar 3.5/105, came with the camera, only shot one roll with it and it's a good sharp lens
Mamiya-Sekor 2.8/80 from my broken Mamiyaflex, first version with gold-coloured single coating
Kodak Anastigmat 4.5/124 uncoated Tessar type from a Six-16 folder. Bought for 99p for the shutter but sadly the rear cell thread seems non-standard, the Componon front cell fits the front, the back cell doesn't fit the back. I'll give it a try to satisfy my curiosity but tests on my NEX on bellows show it's far behind the Componon is sharpness.

The boards are a simple sandwich of the 3mm cedar and the 1mm aluminium, epoxied together then a hole drilled in the middle. I put sticky backed black felt on the back to help with light proofing and reflections. They are pretty crude but will do the job for the timebeing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't figure out why these scans won't upload so here they are linked from my FB account:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I really like the Mamiya 80mm and the Seikosha shutter works perfectly, it is hard to use as it lacks a cable release socket so it is hard to hold the shutter open on B to focus and compose on the ground glass.

I happened to have a nice Copal Press #0 shutter and the Mamiya cells are a direct fit. I put the cells of the viewing lens from the TLR pair in the Copal and tried it out, seems it is identical to the taking lens as it shoots every bit as well and the Copal is much easier to use than the Seikosha as I can lock it open on B with a locking cable release.

Kodak Industrex MX125 x-ray film in Kodak Microdol-X:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks serve you well, enjoy your 'new' great cam , x-ray film works fine indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'm going to have lots of fun with this camera and lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one with Industrex MX125 in Microdol-X. 1/2 sec at f16. The detail level isn't really apparent in this web sized version but it is pretty impressive compared to any 35mm I have shot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fixed your Mamiya Ian, before you sacrifice any more lenses ! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great photo love the composition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done David, that's great news! Now I'll have to find another lens for it. Smile

Cheers Nurkov, glad you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is great shoot!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fascinating camera and project. The results are fine also. I'm looking forward to more adventures with the Century.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Glad you like it Jussi, the Century is a really cost effective solution, if you see one cheap grab one.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bypassed the ones that are cheap, but I've been throwing an idle low bid here and there for ones with more interesting set ups... now, largely thanks to your photos and lens adventures, Ian, I seem to own a 2x3 Wink Click here to see on Ebay It's got the 80/2.8 Xenotar, what looks like a Linhof grip, and a 120 back.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Well, I bypassed the ones that are cheap, but I've been throwing an idle low bid here and there for ones with more interesting set ups... now, largely thanks to your photos and lens adventures, Ian, I seem to own a 2x3 Wink Click here to see on Ebay It's got the 80/2.8 Xenotar, what looks like a Linhof grip, and a 120 back.

very good camera....now for the shots to be posted.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks like a hell of a nice camera Jussi, and that Xenotar is a hell of a good lens. You got a bargain there, the lens/shutter alone normally costs more than that. Does look like a Linhof grip, seen them put on Graphics before.

Look forward to your results Jussi, be nice to see how that Xenotar compares to the Mamiya 2.8/80.

The Mamiya has an unusual design:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my latest shot with my Century, I used my Pullin London Pulnar 2.8/100 and cheated a little because it's two 6x9s stitched in Photoshop. Kodak Industrex MX125 x-ray film souped in Ornano ST20 diluted 1:10 until completion.