Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC pics with FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC pics with FF Reply with quote

Gens,

Reading and replying for Ferrick's Meyer-Optik Goerlitz Orestegor thread today made me clean the dust of my Penacon 200mm and get out to make some exercises of bokeh-building Very Happy
What i found was a moment (a thin slice of time of the day) exactly when i left home with a light perfect for the task.

1)

PRF2013-3160 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

2)

PRF2013-3169 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

3)

PRF2013-3171 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

4)

PRF2013-3173 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

Hope you like it as i do,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC pics with FF Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Gens,

Reading and replying for Ferrick's Meyer-Optik Goerlitz Orestegor thread today made me clean the dust of my Penacon 200mm and get out to make some exercises of bokeh-building Very Happy
What i found was a moment (a thin slice of time of the day) exactly when i left home with a light perfect for the task.

Hope you like it as i do,

Cheers,

Renato

Nice bokeh and very nice shots! I wish I can use the light as good as you do! I am now convinced that the Orestegor ad Pentacon 200/4 are of the same optical formula. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images Renato.
Is this lens the latest version with multi coating?
Any chance you could post a picture of the lens itself.
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful colors and bokeh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ferrick, Oldhand and Nurkov for your gently words, as soon as I can I'll photograph the lens and post the photo at this thread,

Best regards,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots.

I have the older non-auto Pentacon version. It will be interesting to compare all the variations from the Meyer through the later Pentacon versions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Beautiful images Renato.
Many thanks
OH

Oldhand,

The lens is this one:

Showing the nice built-in hood - fully extended:

Fully retracted

Only six blades at the diaphragma - but i can live with it

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Beautiful images Renato.
Many thanks
OH

Oldhand,

The lens is this one:

Showing the nice built-in hood - fully extended:

Fully retracted

Only six blades at the diaphragma - but i can live with it

Renato

Many thanks Renato.
I appreciate the time it took to take these images.
It is a lovely lens that takes beautiful images.
Six bladed diaphragms have been taking splendid pictures for many years.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image is for Renato.
Taken with Pentacon auto 200/4.
1/500s @ f8 on Pentax K10
First grevillia of the season as the days here begin to warm again.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,

Thank you, that's a nice pic. It seems you have a good copy of this lens too.
Glad to know warmth is arriving at your country, here we have now rain, and cold. ugh!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images , nice to see 'orphan' lens in great action ! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I used my Pentacon 4/200 Auto MC today. Two pics for here to share:

Isar river

Electric tower with a little sun worshopper on the top

According to Marco Kroeger the optical design of the Pentacon 4/200 Auto was in 1979 the last really new design of ex Meyer Optics in Goerlitz with only very little CAs. This I wanted to proove with my shots and it seems right.
It may have been produced in Romania. So even in German Democratic Republic they've had an outsourcing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC pics with FF Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:

I am now convinced that the Orestegor ad Pentacon 200/4 are of the same optical formula. Very Happy Very Happy

I'd imagine they are since Meyer was effectively THE lens producer for Pentacon. (there's a Pentacon guide to lenses and optics published at the time of the merger and it stresses Meyer was the lens producer as such).

Ive got a Meyer 200/4 and an early Pentacon 200/4 and they're virtually identical aside from some exterior differences. I think the 2nd gen Pentacon version was probably when it switched to a six blade aperture though.

The best thing about the first gen Pentacon models is that you're effectively getting Meyer design/build for less cost simply because of the name change..

Check the first gen Pentacon 50/1.8, 135/2.8, 29/2.8 and 30/3.5 and you'll see what I mean. 😁

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

according to the threads title "Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC pics with FF" and the optical formula respectively design I only wanted to indicate, that the Pentacon 4/200's optical formula is different from the Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC's optical formula.

Remaining part of my post deleted due to offtopic nonsense!-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon MC Auto 200mm f4 with 6 bladed aperture on full frame Pentax K-1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kind of an old thread now, but maybe somebody reads...

Indigo82, I wonder about the sharpness in the last pic of those you posted on Feb 17 2020. Is it good even in the very distant areas? I used my copy the last days and noticed some problems. Maybe I will come back on this and upload some pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandreas68 wrote:
A kind of an old thread now, but maybe somebody reads...

Indigo82, I wonder about the sharpness in the last pic of those you posted on Feb 17 2020. Is it good even in the very distant areas? I used my copy the last days and noticed some problems. Maybe I will come back on this and upload some pictures.

Hi Andreas, I have sent you full size photo in email.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pandreas68"]A kind of an old thread now, but maybe somebody reads...

Yes we do. Like 1 small And now I went to dig out my copy out of the scrap box... shame.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem was about the defth of field scale.

When I focussed at the most distant point and turned this position to the f-stop on the defth of field scale the most distant point in the picture was not sharp anymore. The reason is that the defth of field scale of the Pentacon 4/200 Auto is calculated to an Circle of Confusion diameter of approximately 0.05mm rather than 0.029mm. Setting an f-stop 16 at the aperture but using f-stop 8 on the depth of field scale works:

Picture (downscaled)

Center 100% crop at 24MPx resolution

Speed limit 100% crop at 24MPx resolution

Pictures are taken as they came out from my Sony Alpha II (no sharpening, only scale and crop)

Setting is done in that way:

First look look for most distant point

Then move it to the f-stop value on the defth of field scale and stop down. Actually I used 16 to stop down and 8 to turn on, not 11.

Some may wonder why to use the defth of field scale on a tele. In theory the depth of field should rely from the reproduction scale and actually not of the lens used. So why not to use it on a tele as long as reproduction scale is small enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I noticed with my copy of the Pentacon 4/200 Auto MC is a lets say interesting spot style bokeh:

Which also may somehow aggregate to a kind of fog. In this case there were tiny drops of water with some light in.

Sometimes bokeh is maybe a little to busy if the the background is to busy

But in many cases it is also fine for my taste

Though I still need to learn how to use it I hope I can motivate you to use your copies and share some pictures!-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more photos with m42 Pentacon MC 200mm f4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indigo82 wrote:

Thanks! Did you use simple distance rings? The minimum short distance of some 2,7m is one of the things which was a little downside of this lens for me so fare...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is How much less magnification is necessary to enlarge 24mp image to normal print size as, say, image from 8mp sensor -- and, is the depth-of-field in the two prints identical? (The coc of 24mp is smaller but gets enlarged less)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandreas68 wrote:
Indigo82 wrote:

Thanks! Did you use simple distance rings? The minimum short distance of some 2,7m is one of the things which was a little downside of this lens for me so fare...

Yes Andreas, simple, I have a set for K-mount and here are also added m42 to K-mount adapter obviously, but I am not sure which ring I used as I have them three.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Indigo! I try to remember to take some distance rings with me next time...