Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY converted M42 Canon FL Zoom 55-135mm f/3.5 used on 50D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: DIY converted M42 Canon FL Zoom 55-135mm f/3.5 used on 50D Reply with quote

Registration distance of Canon FL lenses is too short to be used on DSLR cameras. Since this lens was purchased at very low price, I therefore ventured to DIY converting it into a M42 lens.

The method is simple. I used a saw to cut away approx 1cm rear metal part of the lens. Then I removed the levers that control the aperture blades (it does not affect the functioning of the aperture ring). Thereafter, I fixed a M42 extension tube into the rear of the lens by using a suitable size rubber ring (originally for use by water pipes). It's done! Very Happy Very Happy

The only issue is the nearest focusing distance of the lens was 2M. I unscrewed the screw that limited the turning of the focusing ring. Now the focusing ring can turn half more round, allowing the lens to focus at a shorter distance of 80cm.

Let's see how a FL lens performs on a mordern Canon 50D DSLR camera! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was an accurate cut with the hacksaw! great job, and some lovely pictures. I guess the price of FL lenses is about to rocket up ? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
that was an accurate cut with the hacksaw! great job, and some lovely pictures. I guess the price of FL lenses is about to rocket up ? Laughing

thank you for viewig and the appreciation! Smile Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked out great for you. Nice.

I have this lens also and love it on my FD cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have pictures of the conversion? this sounds very cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post a pictorial. It would be interesting to see some before and after images of the mount.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
It worked out great for you. Nice.

I have this lens also and love it on my FD cameras.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:

This is what it looks like after conversion. Since I had not pictured the lens before the conversion, so I cannot show you waht it looked like beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Please post a pictorial. It would be interesting to see some before and after images of the mount.

This is what it looks like after conversion. Since I had not pictured the lens before the conversion, so I cannot show you waht it looked like beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
clockwork247 wrote:

i see what you did there, literally just hack off the old mount and glue on the new one lol, but it worked, so no problem there.

I think this can be done with other mounts too, the only issue i see is mirror hitting on lens that when focus to infinity moves back too much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="clockwork247"]
ferrick wrote:
clockwork247 wrote:

i see what you did there, literally just hack off the old mount and glue on the new one lol, but it worked, so no problem there.

I think this can be done with other mounts too, the only issue i see is mirror hitting on lens that when focus to infinity moves back too much.

No mirror hitting problem at inifinty focus since the flange of the lens was moved back several mm (i.e. lenghten the flange distance).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Ouch Sad

I know it looks ugly but I just did what I have to do in order to make this old lens works on modern DSLR camera. Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it focus on infinity? as I dont see any long distance shots

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Does it focus on infinity? as I dont see any long distance shots

Yes, it does, and well beyond infinity! It 's my habit that I like taking macro instead of landscape pictures. Here is a picture at medium range. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so well done on your conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
so well done on your conversion.

Thanks! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:

Yes, it does, and well beyond infinity! It 's my habit that I like taking macro instead of landscape pictures.

Not sure about what you are saying... Did you really expand the focusing range?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:

Terrible conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
ferrick wrote:

Yes, it does, and well beyond infinity! It 's my habit that I like taking macro instead of landscape pictures.

Not sure about what you are saying... Did you really expand the focusing range?

Yes! With old Canon FD/FL mount lens, one can only achieve macro but cannot achieve infinity focus on all non-mirrorless cameras due to the shorter flange to sensor distance of the lens. If you want to achieve inifinity focus, you either use an adapter with glass element (but it will reduce image quality) or cut away a portion of the rear part of the lens (effectively increasing the flange to sensor distance of the lens) as I did. Sure my conversion looks very ugly. However, I don't care as long as it works and takes good pictures. Very Happy Very Happy