Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50 mm: 1.4 or 1.7?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: 50 mm: 1.4 or 1.7? Reply with quote

Many people prefer a 1.4. The reason is a half step. But is this the only reason? So marked is the difference in bokeh? Is it better ISO up a little to match the values​​? Is it reasonable weight and price difference? The picture quality is different? Do you often be better than 1.7? A lens is a great compromise solutions. Does greater aperture means less contrast and aberrations?... One of the reasons for our choice can be emotional, but we chose well?

Regards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 mm: 1.4 or 1.7? Reply with quote

anktonio wrote:
Many people prefer a 1.4. The reason is a half step. But is this the only reason? So marked is the difference in bokeh? Is it better ISO up a little to match the values​​? Is it reasonable weight and price difference? The picture quality is different? Do you often be better than 1.7? A lens is a great compromise solutions. Does greater aperture means less contrast and aberrations?... One of the reasons for our choice can be emotional, but we chose well?

Regards.

Hmm.. Very interesting question. There won't be a cut and dry answer to this question, I suppose. Some times the 1.4/1.7/1.8 are very different operationally causing the preference. For example, both Canon EF 1.4 and Canon EF 1.8 are excellent lenses. In fact, on a 1.6X crop camera, 1.8 is very slightly sharper than the 1.4 wide open. With this said, the 1.4 has ring typed USM, full time manual focus and much better construction quality than the 1.8 plastic toy. I use EF 1.4 all the time because it feels more reassuring and the operational niceties.

Some times the 1.4 and 1.8 produces very slightly different coloring which causing preference one way or the other. The Pentax-M 1.7 vs Pentax-M 1.4 fits into this category. The 1.7 is slightly sharper than 1.4 wide open while the 1.7 produces slightly cooler color. In my case, I actually like the 1.7 better than the 1.4. It just feels cuter.

In almost all cases, the 0.8 stop of light may not be the most compelling reason to pick one vs. the other when high ISO performance is so good on modern DSLR. I think, a lot of times, we photographer likes bigger aperture for no other reasons other than egos. Some people prefer red cars, others gold. A lot people like Sports cars because they look cool.

For most parts, it is just a preference. If you are struggling between 1.7/1.4, and for financial reasons can't afford a 1.4, 1.7 will take just as nice pictures.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by drjs on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f1.4 to f1.8 (which is a more common option than f1.7) is closer to whole stop than a third of a stop - so a real difference in low light situations (actual light transmission might be a bit less than that of course)

Also f1.4 has nearly 30% more background blur wide open - which I would say is noticeable.

It is worth getting a handle on when this might be useful. For head and shoulders portraits, DOF at f1.4 is razor thin, and you probably shut down a bit - if only to get both eyes in focus. Full-length portraits, where you want to get nice separation from the background, f1.4 suddenly seems more useful (other work arounds, like moving your subject away from the background, or using a longer lens are also an option)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
f1.4 to f1.8 (which is a more common option than f1.7) is closer to whole stop than a third of a stop - so a real difference in low light situations (actual light transmission might be a bit less than that of course)

Also f1.4 has nearly 30% more background blur wide open - which I would say is noticeable.

It is worth getting a handle on when this might be useful. For head and shoulders portraits, DOF at f1.4 is razor thin, and you probably shut down a bit - if only to get both eyes in focus. Full-length portraits, where you want to get nice separation from the background, f1.4 suddenly seems more useful (other work arounds, like moving your subject away from the background, or using a longer lens are also an option)

Absolutely correct. My bad. Embarassed

It is 0.8 of a stop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me 1.7 is safer choice. Most of them are sharper and less prone to flare. Most of the mare usable wide open... Most of them has less CAs.
Problems of the 1.7(and 1.Cool are the aperture blades. Most of them are with 6 straight ones which creates awful bokeh closed down. There are only few with more curved blades or with more than 6.

About 1.4 - most of them are very awful at 1.4, almost unusable. More CAs, more prone to flare, ... most of them are usable from 2.0.
Good thing about most 1.4s is that they are good at 2.0 - smooth bokeh, many of them are with more than 6 aperture blades.

So overall - it is easier to find good 50 1.7 than 50 1.4 and they are cheaper. Some of them are even better than most 50 1.4 and not that slow actually.

Just for example - my Zenitar 50 1.7 is more like 1.5 or even 1.4 because it gives me speed like my 50 1.4 Pentax and the Zenitar is sharper at every aperture with smoother bokeh and it is cheaper. The contrast is worse but that's Russian coatings fault Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, dodging flames, brickbats and rotten tomatoes, that people have a tendency to buy 50mm primes subjectively rather than objectively.

So EOS nifty fifty? That'd better be the 1.8 MkI then, not the later plastic "junk lens".

1.8? Really? Oh dear, that didn't cost much so the 1.4 is the one to have.

Yeah but the 1.2... so much more poke, looks like it costsalot and it does costalot so that's the one to be seen with.

Performance? Whaddya mean performance? Widest is best innit?

I'm here to tell you that I chopped in a perfectly good but noisy 1.8 Mk1 for a 1.4 and wish I hadn't bothered. What I do shoot with most of the time on the 5DII is the FD 55mm 1.2 which trifox converted for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50mm 1.4 is quite nice as a portrait lens on a crop camera. It's softer and bokeh is in general better with less dept of field. It is also nice when shooting flowers... 50mm 1.7 is a better walk around lens with mixed use IMO Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I think, dodging flames, brickbats and rotten tomatoes, that people have a tendency to buy 50mm primes subjectively rather than objectively.

So EOS nifty fifty? That'd better be the 1.8 MkI then, not the later plastic "junk lens".

Yeah but the 1.2... so much more poke, looks like it costsalot and it does costalot so that's the one to be seen with.

I'm here to tell you that I chopped in a perfectly good but noisy 1.8 Mk1 for a 1.4 and wish I hadn't bothered. What I do shoot with most of the time on the 5DII is the FD 55mm 1.2 which trifox converted for me.

That's the truth! Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.7 are budget lenses, almost as good as the 1.4 version
this is what Zeiss wrote about the contax 50:1.7
Zeiss wrote:
The image quality is excellent and can even be compared with that of the 50 mm Planar® f/1.4 lens at the corresponding f-stops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm firmly in f1.4 camp. Usually f1.4 is a better corrected lens. For example all Minolta MC/MD 50/1.4 lenses feature 7 elements, while all slower alternatives have only 6. Same story for Konica and Canon FD. On top of that FD 50/1.4 used special glasses, which 50/1.8 did not.

Typically f1.4 v f1.8 gives you:
- extra 2/3 stops of light for low light or DOF control
- Better IQ at large apertures. For example an f1.4 lens stopped to f1.8 is typically sharper and contrastier than f1.8 lens WO.
- Sometimes better build quality, less plastic, more metal.
- Sometimes more blades for better looking OOF highlights. For example, FD 50/1.4 has 8 blades v 6 blades for 1.8
- Sometimes better coating. Again FD 50/1.4 used SSC, while 50/1.8 used SC. Possibly true with other lens manufacturers as well. Konica and Minolta coatings do give different colors on my 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 versions.

You pay for that with higher weight and higher price and then the question is whether the improvements you get are worth those penalties. And since many great f1.4 lenses are still under $100, IMHO they are clear winners v f1.8 versions. Now if we get into Zeiss and Leica territory, the balance does change. If one looks say at Leica Summicron-R v Summilux-R, that's 300 Euros v 1000 for 1 stop. Summilux is a clear loser in my eyes.

Last edited by fermy on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
1.7 are budget lenses, almost as good as the 1.4 version
this is what Zeiss wrote about the contax 50:1.7
Zeiss wrote:
The image quality is excellent and can even be compared with that of the 50 mm Planar® f/1.4 lens at the corresponding f-stops

That's a great bit of marketing isn't it? Wine can be compared with water, a child's plastic p&s can be compared with a digital backed MF camera: doesn't mean to say that the comparison will be favourable.... Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I'm firmly in f1.4 camp. Usually f1.4 is a better corrected lens. For example all Minolta MC/MD 50/1.4 lenses feature 7 elements, while all slower alternatives have only 6. Same story for Konica and Canon FD. On top of that FD 50/1.4 used special glasses, which 50/1.8 did not.

Typically f1.4 v f1.8 gives you:
- extra 2/3 stops of light for low light or DOF control
- Better IQ at large apertures. For example an f1.4 lens stopped to f1.8 is typically sharper and contrastier than f1.8 lens WO.
- Sometimes better build quality, less plastic, more metal.
- Sometimes more blades for better looking OOF highlights. For example, FD 50/1.4 has 8 blades v 6 blades for 1.8
- Sometimes better coating. Again FD 50/1.4 used SSC, while 50/1.8 used SC. Possibly true with other lens manufacturers as well. Konica and Minolta coatings do give different colors on my 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 versions.

You pay for that with higher weight and higher price and then the question is whether the improvements you get are worth those penalties. And since many great f1.4 lenses are still under $100, IMHO they are clear winners v f1.8 versions. Now if we get into Zeiss and Leica territory, the balance does change. If one looks say at Leica Summicron-R v Summilux-R, that's 300 Euros v 1000 for 1 stop. Summilux is a clear loser in my eyes.

I agree with this as well, but these benefits should not detract from the possibility that the slower lens could also be a very good lens as well. The point is, it's unfair to compare them. Most of the faster lenses are different from their slower counterparts, people pay for those differences that you rightly point out. Should we judge the slower lenses against their faster brothers? especially if they are fundamentally different.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I agree with this as well, but these benefits should not detract from the possibility that the slower lens could also be a very good lens as well. The point is, it's unfair to compare them. Most of the faster lenses are different from their slower counterparts, people pay for those differences that you rightly point out. Should we judge the slower lenses against their faster brothers? especially if they are fundamentally different.

Ohh, here I completely agree, the slower lenses are usually very good as well. However, there are strange people that think that having 20 50mm lenses is an overkill, sometimes they want to have ...gasp... only one. For them such comparisons make sense. Proper MF junkies like us of course wouldn't bother with such question. We would get all of them: f1.7 f2.0 f1.4 and even f1.98 for good measure if only to argue which one is sharper Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really no matter, my safe zone start from f4 Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Really no matter, my safe zone start from f4 Laughing

"Many a true word is spoken in jest"....... as quite a few times I like to crop a shot (esp of people e.g weddings) and if it isn't sharp to start with, it's more of a disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much everyone for your responses, which have been much better than my question. There are some differences in the conclusions, but this makes me think that all you're right, and that there are many different reasons to decide between one or the other.

drjs ..."In almost all cases, the 0.8 stop of light may not be the most compelling reason to pick one vs. the other when high ISO performance is so good on modern DSLR"... 0.8 or less... Your logic is crushing! I agree.

Basilisk ..."f1.4 to f1.8 (which is a more common option than f1.7) is closer to whole stop than a third of a stop - so a real difference in low light situations (actual light transmission might be a bit less than that of course)"... Good remarks.

..."Also f1.4 has nearly 30% more background blur wide open - which I would say is noticeable"... The blur difference is not much (in my opinion), but it is certainly noticeable... with the cost of degradation of the subject, which can be secondary or not.

simbon4o ..."About 1.4 - most of them are very awful at 1.4, almost unusable. More CAs, more prone to flare"... Your experience is identical to mine.

tikkathree ...""... Smile

Nordentro ..."It's softer and bokeh is in general better with less dept of field"... Indeed. That softness are optical imperfections, physical limits, they almost never help me, except in very rare occasions. But I know that this is a must for many people.

poilu ..."1.7 are budget lenses, almost as good as the 1.4 version"... I agree on this and I almost dare to say that they are indistinguishable in practice.

Attila ..."Really no matter, my safe zone start from f4"... oh, I believed that for you f4 is nonexistent Smile

fermy ..."the question is whether the improvements you get are worth those penalties"... Indeed.

..." an f1.4 lens stopped to f1.8 is typically sharper and contrastier than f1.8 lens"...

I did some tests obviously unscientific, although these tests do indoors, the light was slightly changed, I had to make up a little to get similar results. I think enough for a good eye. They are direct JPG. I preferred a FF for this test, but I only have a G1. Imagine that the test you did with FF and then cut a quarter to 100% crop Smile Lens: FD 50/1.4, Planar 50/1.8 and Yashinon DS-M 50/1.7, all multicoated.

Canon FD 50/1.4 stopped at f71.7-1.8:

Full resolution: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8544/8683217846_55d932b203_o.jpg

Yashinon DS-M 50/1.7 at f/1.7:

Full resolution: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8546/8683220514_755d20d1de_o.jpg

Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.8 at f/1.8:

Full resolution: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8546/8683223202_cb26f927ed_o.jpg

Regards.

Last edited by anktonio on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last image url has a typo, the correct one is:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8546/8683223202_cb26f927ed_o.jpg

It seems the Canon sample is focussed on the edge of the cutting board, where the other two are focussed on the orange?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Fixed. It is assumed that all are focused at sticker text on the orange... maybe I should repeat the test :/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

There is always an element of this in people's thinking.
Camera Clubs are hotbeds of this kind of logic.
Truly, from my experience, it will depend on the skill of the photographer as to which lens gives best results.
When we get to know our lenses and the cameras that we use them with, we won't put them into situations that we know that they won't handle. Lenses that flare badly won't be pointed at light sources. Lenses that are dogs wide open, but take amazing images closed down a little won't be subjected to this kind of no-win situation, but will be used to show their strengths.
I really don't think that there is a universal lens that will give award winning images to every photographer in every circumstance.
What is the best lens for you - the one that you are using at the moment, when you know its strengths and limitations.
Light is your friend - learn to use it with what you have.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anktonio wrote:
Thank you very much everyone for your responses, which have been much better than my question. There are some differences in the conclusions, but this makes me think that all you're right, and that there are many different reasons to decide between one or the other.

I did some tests obviously unscientific, although these tests do indoors, the light was slightly changed, I had to make up a little to get similar results. I think enough for a good eye. They are direct JPG. I preferred a FF for this test, but I only have a G1. Imagine that the test you did with FF and then cut a quarter to 100% crop Smile Lens: FD 50/1.4, Planar 50/1.8 and Yashinon DS-M 50/1.7, all multicoated.

A very good round up - and nice to see the tests, though I think Rawit is correct on the slight difference of focus.
It is interesting to see how similar the rendering of the lenses is - we spend a lot of time arguing about tiny differences!
A couple more points - an f1.4 lens will be disappointing if your focusing technique is not good - or your camera doesn't have good focus assist tools (like peaking on the NEX range). An old fashioned cats eye screen is good enough for a film SLR, 100% pixel view may be necessary for digital. Otherwise at f1.4 you will miss focus more than you hit it. On the other hand it is a good tool to improve your focusing technique if you don't mind missing a lot of shots while you get better!

Extra light is good, but modern digital cameras can produce good images at 3200, so not always essential. In bright light, at 100 ISO and 1/4000, you can still find you are forced to stop down so f1.4 may not be useable without an ND filter.

Good f1.8 lenses are the cheapest good lenses out there, so no shame in using them. On the other hand Canon produced quite a lot of FD 50 f1.4 lenses, so they are not that expensive (and bargains can be found), and there are quite a lot of Super Takumars f1.4 lenses around too.

At 50 mm on a crop frame I usually don't take shots where I really care about edge sharpness - more portraits and closeups. Centre sharpness is much more important.
At 35 mm and wider I am more likely to stop down and need everything in focus - my Flektogon is great for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the round up. Wonderful discussion.

I recommend getting them all, you can never have too many lenses!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences are indeed subtle. It makes me even more curious how expensive lenses like the Leica's or M-Hexanon's compare to this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here some samples from my 50s
here some samples 50 1.7 vs 50 1.4
here some samples more 50s on 16mp matrix

Pentax M 50 1.4@1.4

Zenitar 50 1.7@1.7

And crops

And crops at 2.0

Pentax

Zenitar

So for me the 1.7 lenses are much safer and cheaper choice. I have recently bought A 50 1.2 pentax and when compared it to my other lenses it was softer closed down, yes the smoothness of the bokeh is great at 1.8 and further, but still Zenitar is sharper. More lens elements are for correcting the problems of bigger lenses. More lens elements and bigger ones causes only problems for sharpness. Actually with distance from the object on focus the difference between 1.2 and 1.7 is getting closer to nothing in terms of defocus and since most of 50 1.4 lenses needs closing down to 2.0 ... I have made a comparison test of Pentax A 50 1.2, FA 50 1.4 and Zenitar 50 1.7 in terms of bokeh and I will post it soon Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, of course a shot @f1.4 will look softer than the one @f1.7 even due to different DOF, not to mention that the makers are completely different. I guess APO-Summicron ASPH for $7K will be sharper than all lenses here, so are we to conclude that f2.0 lenses are the safest bet Wink

Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC

Canon FD 50mm f1.8

Both tests on NEX-3 performed by the same guy: http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2.0 lenses - no most of them are budget to the limit lenses and are much worse performing than 1.4 and 1.7/1.8 models.
Summicron 50 1.4 is maybe the only 50 1.4 that I think is perfectly usable at 1.4 and there is a price for it ....
Another expensive lens - Planar 50 1.4... not so usable at 1.4 so it depends.