Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica M teleconverter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Leica M teleconverter? Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Komura-Telemore-Finder-For-LEICA-M-or-M39-Lenses-2X-Coverter-Rare-/130887780278?pt=Obiettivi&hash=item1e798507b6
Does it really work? Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not for $300 it doesnt!
tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually seen one, but I recall reading a posts about it on LeicaUserForum a while back. The owner seemed pleased with it, although I can't imagine it being any better than others made for SLR models.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides the ridiculous price, i'm not sure what this does for anyone who shoots RF. why turn a 50 into a 100 when there are so many great 85-90 native lenses to be had. seems to me the only use i could find for it is to turn a fast 135 into a mediocre 270. but not at that price.

also, while komura makes some good lenses and i have one of them to verify that, i recall reading their teleconverters were mediocre.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komura made an excellent 7-element TC for SLRs.

Most TCs have 4 elements and are crap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is why anyone who needs long telephoto perspective would choose Leica M as their camera system. The advantages of the Leica M are unquestionable, but none of them involve focal lengths beyond 135mm (with or without teleconverter).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that was kind of my point too. though if youre like me, part of a tiny fringe group that uses the gxr m mount as their only interchangeable lens digicam, ive thought about this because focus is not limited like a true RF. but again, not at $300, and not for this questionable quality.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komura Leica-teleconverter dates from the time when the Japanese photo-industry was cheerfully making just about anything and everything that could be made . . . Smile From memory, it wasn't actually too expensive and it did offer the chance to use a long-ish focal length on the rangefinder camera. Sort of a "Hey, that's a handy and affordable gadget so I'll get one" thing. Not that many people semingly ever did so!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I just bought one at a camera show, in original box, for $150. It just seemed kind of cool... and I hadn't seen one before. I probably could have spent the money better, but what the heck I'll try it.

Camera Show 5/18/14 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good ! I've never seen a chrome one before, all the others (though not many) have been black. Be interesting to see how it works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of film shots with a Canon RF 50/1.7 on the Telemore... I'll get around to trying it on a NEX, vs a Canon 100/3.5 with the cloudy element problem... One Of These Days.

green stripe, rust by Nesster, on Flickr

Testing the Komura RF extender by Nesster, on Flickr

carousel horses by Nesster, on Flickr

here's a crop of approx 1/2 the frame...
Walnut St Station by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - ! they don't look bad at all, and the rangefinder coupling looks to be good. Thanks for posting them !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems perfectly usable, I'd even say "very good". My Rokkor 100 / 3.5 Macro should have a dedicated X2 converter, but it came with a Kenmore, and although I have obviously not tested it against the correct OEM converter it does seem to be very good. I keep reading positive things about the Kenmore converters, I think the consensus is - they are good.