Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 Valdai - any problems with Canon 5D MarkII?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 Valdai - any problems with Canon 5D MarkII? Reply with quote

I just purchased my first Helios Lens... a Helios 44-2 Valdai Preset.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with this lens hitting the mirror of a Canon 5D Mark II when focused to infinity?

I've read conflicting info when I google it...

Thanks in advance for any input...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen anything. Get an M42 - Eos adapter you'll soon find out, it's not gong to break your camera and if it's preset there wont be any diaphragm pins to worry about. Its not so much different to a normal M44-2 (which works ok on my canon - admittedly not a 5Dmkll) except that its made by the Valdai factory.

However, check this way first. Lift the mirror and see how close to the lens mount it actually is when it's at 90 degrees. next screw the lens onto your adapter and see how far back it it is from the inside of the bayonet flange. If it doesn't protrude past the bayonet at infinity you're fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There be no issues with the 44-2 M42 mount, it doesn't protrude past the adapter at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information...
Here is a link that lists compatibility to with manual lenses to the Canon 5D (and presumably the 5D Mark II as well as this list says "updated March 2013) ). It's confusing because users of the 5D appear to be using some of the lenses listed as incompatible...

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

I haven't received the lens via mail yet... guess I'll have to test it once it comes.

Thanks again for the help... this is a great forum!