Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm 3.5 with 2 aperture rings????
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm 3.5 with 2 aperture rings???? Reply with quote

Saw this on ebay today. I'm not interested in it personally as I already have a 200, but I have never seen one with 2 rings. Anyone else seen this?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably works in the same fashion as some of the preset russian lenses like the mir 1 and helios 44-2. This system was also used by meyer/pentacon and on my preset tessar. One ring is used to set a limit, the other too open the aperture to focus, and then quickly close it without having to take your eye away from the camera. I haven't seen this system on many (or any for that matter) of Japanese lenses, though I can't say that with any degree of certainty. Very interesting!

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is seems one of the oldest Vivitar lens, a very nice pre-set aperture lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I hadnt just bought a 200 yesterday for less than $15 USD, I would be very tempted to make a go for this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its a pre-set.

The top or front ring has clicks and sets the aperture stop, the lower or rear ring rotates freely and allows you to focus wide open and quickly set the aperture back to the stop you set with the front ring. Ive seen them where the rear ring has marked stops and others that don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Spiratone 400, a Tamron 135 (Exakta mount) and a Soligor 180 pre-set. All of the longer Takumar and Nikon SLR lenses, were originally pre-set I think. There are lots of third party ones also, many zooms among them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for it too, its rather good looking. I'm a sucker for good looks and low price, but I'm maxed out for the month. A pity, I only have three 200mm's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has a T mount but I'm not sure.
Could be this one : http://www.pbase.com/dazedgonebye/200mmf35p ( http://i.pbase.com/t1/98/344898/4/60447963.200mm1.jpg )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the T-mount preset Vivitar 85 mm. f/1.8 and the 135 mm. f/2.8 of the same series.
The quality is among average but the design is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem (if can be put this way) with there T mount lenses is the lack of contrast (may be because they are older and the coatings weren't evolved to the ones present on lenses beginning with in the late '60 -???)
At least this is "the problem" with my 135mm T mount Soligor. So at least I know its ok for portraits Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I haven't seen this system on many (or any for that matter) of Japanese lenses, though I can't say that with any degree of certainty. Very interesting!

~Marc

Marc, the early standard and tele Takumar lenses (up to about 1958 prior to Auto-Taks) were presets. I don't have an example myself, but they're all listed here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested two pre-set Takumars 135mm f3.5 silver and 200mm f3.5 both are pretty crap. Lot worst than latest version of Takumars. Not same league with German or Russian pre-set lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I tested two pre-set Takumars 135mm f3.5 silver and 200mm f3.5 both are pretty crap. Lot worst than latest version of Takumars. Not same league with German or Russian pre-set lenses.

When I was a kid in the early 50s my Dad used to say the only half-decent Japanese cameras/lenses were Yashica. That was before Nikon/Olympus/Minolta, and Pentax quality improved later. But there were so many other unknown crap brands from Japan in the 60s/70s and so I never really liked or trusted any Japanese brands as much as German and Russian lenses. I think you have the same view! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
... there were so many other unknown crap brands from Japan in the 60s/70s ...

Sounds like today's image about some chinese/korean/etc... products for which the quality control (or better/product research) is not a major concern.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
peterqd wrote:
... there were so many other unknown crap brands from Japan in the 60s/70s ...

Sounds like today's image about some chinese/korean/etc... products for which the quality control (or better/product research) is not a major concern.

Yeah, similar I suppose, but in the 70s there were also many good-quality Japanese goods as well as the crap, and the prices were very competitive, so they had a better reputation than current Chinese stuff. Cars, motorbikes and Hi-Fi for instance - many old British manufacturers were forced out of business by Yamaha/Honda/Sony etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Ducati motorbike, Emilian factory, world champion! (Stoner)

End of advertisement Razz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Buy Ducati motorbike, Emilian factory, world champion! (Stoner)

End of advertisement Razz

Very Happy I wish!

In my teens I used to have a 200cc Triumph Tiger Cub, which I loved so much - until I got a job about 20 miles from home and got to work soaked and frozen every day. I traded it in for an Isetta "bubble" car with 350cc BMW engine. But Triumph survived the Japanese invasion too, and if I was thinking of buying a bike now it would probably be a Daytona. I think maybe our Bob has one.

A friend of mine has a lovely Indian-made Royal Enfield, absolute replica of a great 1950s British bike. I think they bought all the machinery, spare parts and the designs and just kept on making them in India.