Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Sigma lens Reply with quote

Hello,
I got this lens from my father:
Sigma AF 28-70 f/3.5-4-5 on C/Y mount.

I was wondering if someone had any experience with it and if it's worth it putting it on a canon 550d with an adapter. Will this be better/equal/worse then the kit lens? I could use the extra mm with 4.5 aperture at 70mm vs the 5.6 of the kit lens at 55mm max.

It's an autofocus lens but it can also be used as manual and the aperture is controlled by the camera body. It has a lever on the back though so if I keep it pressed I can keep it fully open and that should be fine. Do you know if there's any cheap adapter that can control aperture without aperture ring but with back lever on the lens?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. It is hard to say. I own several sigma lenses (MF) and they do their job. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

I don't know for sure (never owned a EOS body or a C/Y AF lens) but I don't think this lens could be adapated to a EOS if it lacks an aperture ring. The mechanism to control the aperture by the body in an AF contax should be electrical, I suppose, and I don't think this could by done with an adapter.

You will probably receive better informed answers. Regards

Javier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm waiting for new inputs Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a Contax af mount lens, and not c/y, you might be out of luck I'm afraid Sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
If it's a Contax af mount lens, and not c/y, you might be out of luck I'm afraid Sad

Yashica AF you mean? Did Sigma produce lenses for Contax N? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you showed us a picture of the lens, it would be easier to help...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yashica AF you mean? Did Sigma produce lenses for Contax N? Smile

Yup, I'm having a dippy moment I think Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of luck for what?

Anyway the lens was attached to a Yashica 200af and these are some pictures:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you must measure the register distance (can't find it anywhere for Yashica AF .. ?) Get a light source, like a lamp with a shade + white paper and set the focus to infinity. How far is the flange from the paper when the picture is clear. If it is less than 44mm then you can't use it with eos. If it is more, then measure the bayonet. If that is close to any existing other mount you can find adapter to eos, then there might be a possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So isn't this c/y mount?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
So isn't this c/y mount?

No.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was convinced it was...after some research someone said that it's also known as Minolta AF, if connected to Minolta MD then I can't put it on my canon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
I was convinced it was...after some research someone said that it's also known as Minolta AF, if connected to Minolta MD then I can't put it on my canon

The lens you have is a Yashica AF mount lens. I'm afraid this can't be used with your Canon EOS. Minolta AF lenses look similar, but again are different and are intended for Minolta AF and Sony Alpha cameras only.

Minolta MD lenses can only be used with manual focus Minolta bodies or on mirrorless cameras like the Sony NEX or Panasonic G series or Olympus Pen series.

If you're after some lenses for a Canon EOS, you should be able to fit:

* M42 lenses
* Pentax K lenses (not on full frame cameras though, generally)
* Nikon lenses
* Contax / Yashica lenses (manual focus mount lenses only)
* Olympus OM (manual focus mount only) lenses
* Leica
* Exakta (no infinity focusing though)
* Praktica PB (no infinity focusing though)
* Tamron Adaptall, Adaptall-2 and SP lenses (need the correct mount or adapter / mount combination though)

That's a fair amount for you to work through Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile so bye bye to this lens for me:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
Thank you Smile so bye bye to this lens for me:)

I would'nt be so hasty...Contax N mount lenses can be converted to both EF and SA mounts whilst retaining AF.
See here: http://en.conurus.com/sa.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Contax N mount now?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
What's Contax N mount now?

You do know your lens is a Contax N Mount lens and not a C/Y mount lens?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry...is Contax N the same as Minolta/Yashica AF?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: ARGHHHH! Reply with quote

Right (deep breath)

The Y/C mount is a manual focus mount used on SLR cameras produced by Kyocera / Yashica who co-operated with Zeiss to produce a mount that could take Yashica lenses and those branded Zeiss, like the famous F1.4 50mm Planars, as well as the Yashica ML and DSB lenses etc...

The 'A' series AF mount is used ONLY by Minolta on their film 35mm AF SLR cameras, on the Minolta 5D and 7D digital SLRs ((by that time styled Konica-Minolta after their merger) and those made by Sony (the Alpha series) after Sony purchased the rights to much technology from Konica-Minolta when they exited the camera market altogether...

The MD mount is a manual focus mount - again used ONLY by Minolta for their manual focus SLR cameras from the SRT series through to the X700 (Well there was also the earlier MC mount but it's similar..)

Then we have two more mounts

That used on the Yashika AF SLR cameras (I understand made by Cosina but not entirely certain..) which had a mount unique to that short-lived and unsuccessful range - they sold very poorly.

And lastly the Contax 'N' mounts used on the AF Contax cameras (like the Contax AF 35mm 'N' series cameras and the only Contax digital SLR (the digital camera, though now quite collectible, again sold very poorly and there were no follow-up models before Contax, like Minolta, left the digital SLR market....)

The mount as shown looks very like a Minolta 'A' series but I am not familiar with either the Yashica AF mount or the Contax N so I am not certain.

What it most certainly IS NOT is:

C/Y mount

Minolta MD mount

Whew...

Doug

quote="sandro"]I'm sorry...is Contax N the same as Minolta/Yashica AF?[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I give up!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example of a c/y zoom, don't know if it is any good although ..

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Sigma lenses Reply with quote

I have few Yashica AF lenses lying un use since long which want to use on eos. During surfing I saw an adapter
"Fotodiox Pro Lens mount adapter for Yashica AF to Canon Eos EF mount DSLR camera. Any experience of this adapter
will help to use my lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Yashica-EF-Mount-Cameras/dp/B00AUKDURK

No is my answer! But interesting that it exists. I would guess that like all adapters with glass in, image quality will be compromised and the maximum aperture reduced (the glass acts like a teleconverter). I have no idea of the quality of the Yashica AF lenses. Perhaps you could show us Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
Thanks, I'm waiting for new inputs Very Happy

I may be going out on a limb here, but why not take some shots, post them, and tell us what you think?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best option is to get a mirrorless camera, rather than trying to fit odd lenses on an DSLR. There are mounts for all lenses as the lack of mirror leaves space for an adaptor of the correct size, and the focussing is probably easier with manual focus lenses (like the focus peaking you get on Sony NEX cameras)