Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 500mm back from service
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 500mm back from service Reply with quote

From "Best of lenses room" http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-f8-500-model-55b-t45312.html

Thanks for sharing those images. Very sharp optics on yours and your pictures are well taken.
I have just received my Tamron 500 f8 back from the lens technician, who has removed the extensive fungus that was growing all over the mirror.
The results so far are encouraging, but not spectacular.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Thanks for sharing those images. Very sharp optics on yours and your pictures are well taken.
I have just received my Tamron 500 f8 back from the lens technician, who has removed the extensive fungus that was growing all over the mirror.
The results so far are encouraging, but not spectacular.

Hi Oldhand.
You're right. It seems you missed focus in #2.
I find your 500 SP F8 lacks contrast.

What model is it ? 55B or 55BB ?
What is your camera ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 55B and the camera a Nikon D7000.
It may be that the uv filter is causing the problem, so I'll try again without it.
The focus is an issue though. I am wondering if it is slightly out of alignment after the clean.
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding shots, Olivier. I couldn't believe were taken with that mirror.
The details on the pelican one, and the last one (the cat) are the best samples I've ever seen from a 500SP.
What model is yours?. I kept the 55B over the 55BB, not sure if I did right (depends on your answer Wink ).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did split these from Best of Lenses Gallery, due obvious reason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
The details on the pelican one, and the last one (the cat) are the best samples I've ever seen from a 500SP.
What model is yours?. I kept the 55B over the 55BB, not sure if I did right (depends on your answer Wink ).

My model is the 55B. Very Happy
I always use it with the hood extended and I left the filter on the inner backside as I read that it was part of the optical construction.

The Pelican and cat shots were taken with the Canon 5D MkII.
The big and clear viewfinder sure helps a lot for precise focusing, wich is also reachable thanks to the very fluid focusing ring.
Maybe the full frame format and the excellent sensor of the 5D MkII are also part of the good results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Jesito wrote:

My model is the 55B. Very Happy
I always use it with the hood extended and I left the filter on the inner backside as I read that it was part of the optical construction.

The Pelican and cat shots were taken with the Canon 5D MkII.
The big and clear viewfinder sure helps a lot for precise focusing, wich is also reachable thanks to the very fluid focusing ring.
Maybe the full frame format and the excellent sensor of the 5D MkII are also part of the good results.

Great!. I did some testing with my 5D classic and the results were quite good but not as good as yours...

I'll have to try it again. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are some images with the UV filter removed.
An improvement in contrast I think, but still struggling for sharpness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another - getting better but still not perfect:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some of my shots with a 55BB.

Plenty of PP, but the RAW file where still very contrasty and sharp.

I love this lens so much that I convinced my little sister (she shoot with a Nikon D90) to find one for herself.
Lucky enough, there was another local deal for a "mint" 55B (or BB, I need to see it for real) under $100 CAD.

You should get very good result with this lens. Make sure to shoot with a very fast shutter speed, it get easily out of focus with motion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Here is another - getting better but still not perfect:

That's a lot better Oldhand !
You have dust on your sensor or back of the lens.

Here is one I took with the doubler 01F on 5D MkII.
That makes 1000mm f16...

and one without doubler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You have dust on your sensor or back of the lens."

Yes it looks like it.
However, it is some pin-hole damage to the mirror caused by fungus.
It became apparent after the clean.
Some post processing should rectify this somewhat.
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm blown away by these samples. Not sure if its my technique (or lackof) but my experiences with my 55B leave something to be desired.