Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the consensus on Tokina 80-200 f 2.8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: What's the consensus on Tokina 80-200 f 2.8? Reply with quote

Thinking seriously of buying this lens so I can shoot faster in weddings. What do you all think about this lens and how does it compare to primes such as contax zeiss 180?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's the consensus on Tokina 80-200 f 2.8? Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
Thinking seriously of buying this lens so I can shoot faster in weddings. What do you all think about this lens and how does it compare to primes such as contax zeiss 180?

first of all, that is one of my favorite lenses. with that said, zeiss 180 is most likely optically better (haven't tried it so i'm presuming it is). what camera would you be using it on?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a 550d/t2i.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are using the AF (or later). I had the one touch manual focus AT-X (red ringed with clip on hood).

If you are running on manual, you have my admiration. Its a tough cookie on manual focus especially on a Rebel. I had the pentaprism viewfinder of a K20D and even then, it was a challenge in a wedding setting.

Otherwise, its quite sharp and beautifully crafted. My only quips with the lens was its limited minimum focus distance of 1.8m and its aberrations. (not tokina's strongest suit, just avoid backlit situations)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had once I did sell it quickly , people respect it well. I didn't like it due size and weight I rather use two different prime in this range.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, it is a big lens but it has a tripod mount so a monopod is useful. but I use it hand held on my NEX and get excellent results. It's a sharp lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my number 1 requirement of a lens is the focusability. If it's a pain to focus with then I don't want to bother.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I think my number 1 requirement of a lens is the focusability. If it's a pain to focus with then I don't want to bother.

Just about any lens at 200mm F2.8 will be more difficult to focus.

If you have a Canon 550D, then try this:

Buy the Tokina 80-200mm F2.8 in a Nikon or Olympus mount. Then get a Nikon or Olympus -> EF/EOS adapter with the Optix V5+ or V6 focus confirm chip. This chip allows adjustment of various parameters including maximum aperture and AF confirm point. This means that you can adjust the front/back focus of the focus confirm beep in your Canon 550D.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:

Well I don't imagine you'll have too much trouble seeing that you already have a complement of mf lenses like the rok35/1.4 and the 85/1.4 and live view to boot.

I did this on my K20D and with a split screen, found myself reasonably close.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:

My Contax Zeiss 180mm was a dream to focus on...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:

Well I don't imagine you'll have too much trouble seeing that you already have a complement of mf lenses like the rok35/1.4 and the 85/1.4 and live view to boot.

I did this on my K20D and with a split screen, found myself reasonably close.

Can you explain further what you're trying to say because I'm not understanding it right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
dnas wrote:

My Contax Zeiss 180mm was a dream to focus on...

Nobody said this lens was difficult to focus, apart from "minimum focus distance of 1.8m". I don't have any problem focusing this lens.

I was merely pointing out that a 200mm F2.8 will be more difficult to focus than, for example, a 200mm F4.