Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Corfield Lumax 50mm f2.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Corfield Lumax 50mm f2.4 Reply with quote

Just picked this up in a bag of miscellaneous photo gear. It's in reasonable condition the focus is nice and smooth and the aperture blades are good. It will fit my NEX with a 39mm rangefinder adapter. It was for the Corfield Periflex, periscopic focusing camera from the 50's. I understand this lens was made in Germany by Enna.

Anyone know anything about this lens? What's it worth?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by Enna for sure.

I have a Corfield Lumax 100mm made in England, I suspect by Wray. It's awful, soft and no contrast, muddy colours, really terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lumar-X 50/3.5, standard for the Periflex 1... to which it is attached. It hadn't occured to me to use it on a digi. Rolling Eyes
I shall! But I haven't heard many good things about any of these lenses, despite Wray's boasts about the quality in their literature of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its an Enna and some sort of Tessar I expect, so it can't be too bad.
Enna made lenses for a lot of weird cameras, huge numbers for US Argus for instance, and in my experience they are pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find only one Enna lens above average rest of them had low performance like made on moon , not in Germany ;

but.... excellent lens has same barrel than this lens have so if you can have it may will perform same well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think I have git a bargain then!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well, its an Enna and some sort of Tessar I expect, so it can't be too bad.
Enna made lenses for a lot of weird cameras, huge numbers for US Argus for instance, and in my experience they are pretty good.

Not certain, but from memory I think it's either a 5 or 6 element design. I had one on a Periflex Gold Star (yes! same name as famous BSA motor bike) in the 1960s and it was indeed a sharp lens. Nice optic, shame about the camera body ... Sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Made by Enna for sure.

I have a Corfield Lumax 100mm made in England, I suspect by Wray. It's awful, soft and no contrast, muddy colours, really terrible.

Ian - is it clean? When the first Lumar, Lumar-X and Lumax lenses came out they were quite well reviewed. I had a Lumax 50/3.5 on a Periflex II that was good, and a later 50/2.4 that was very good.

Just trawling my enfeebled memory to recall who made the original lenses for Corfield, something niggles me that there was somebody else apart from Wray, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Made by Enna for sure.

Ian - is it clean?

+1.

Most Enna lenses perform very good if clean. Sadly many have condensation residues or mechanical failures due to late plastic Gehäuse. 3.5/28mm, 2.8/35mm, 3.5/35mm, 2.8/135mm, 240mm and 300mm are all fine optical products if in proper condition. Good sharpness and detail, low CA, smooth bokeh. Low contrast true but that is the easiest thing to boost in digital age.

Last edited by Pancolart on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Most Enna lenses perform very good if clean. Sadly many have condensation residues or mechanical failures due to late plastic Gehäuse. 3.5/28mm, 2.8/35mm, 2.8/135mm, 240mm and 300mm are all fine optical products if in proper condition. Good sharpness and detail, low CA, smooth bokeh. Low contrast true but that is the easiest thing to boost in digital age.

+1
Same experience here - I had condensation drops/haze inside some Enna lense and several had plastic builds but all ~4 Enna lenses I had were optically good performers with a lot character!

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Made by Enna for sure.

Ian - is it clean? When the first Lumar, Lumar-X and Lumax lenses came out they were quite well reviewed. I had a Lumax 50/3.5 on a Periflex II that was good, and a later 50/2.4 that was very good.

Just trawling my enfeebled memory to recall who made the original lenses for Corfield, something niggles me that there was somebody else apart from Wray, but I'm not sure.

I have a cleaner copy. Here is how it performs. I think it is quite good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look quite good to me! Thanks for showing them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely shots, I cant wait to give mine a go. Not today, its 2 degrees and snowing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some quick shots fired off this afternoon while out shopping

Small shrub - sorry don't know which

Hedgehog skeleton in a tree.. f2.4 as close as it would focus

Interesting bokeh round the branch in front of the subject, I got the focus on the jawbone just a bit out.

100% crop with auto contrast added in PS

Table tennis table at f2.4

100% crop no PP

A useful lens, the focus is a bit sticky but I'll persist with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice render! Quite a nice lens Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simbon4o wrote:
nice render! Quite a nice lens Smile

Yes, a little low in contrast but a really nice 50mm. It focuses very close too because the Periflex had a focusing device and didn't rely on mechanically coupled rangefinders which limit you to about a metre.

here are a couple more at its closest focus, all at full aperture

a bunch of early Coltsfoot struggling to open

Crocuses and a honey bee

100% crop

This is what I absolutely love about the NEX, you can focus and view at ground level. Fantastic.

No pp except resizing for the forum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of bee near crocus is absolutely amazing Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Photo of bee near crocus is absolutely amazing Smile

Thank you Pavko, I'm glad you like it.

The flower bed was alive with bees, you could hear them humming from a long way. So it wasn't hard to get a bee in the photo, just hard to get one in focus!

I focused on a particular flower and kept my camera still and fired the shutter when a bee flew into frame, I shot 20 photos and 16 had bees in them but this was one of the best.

My wife did the same with her Nikon P&S and because of the shutter delay and AF missed almost all of them, or they weren't in focus.

Hurrah! for manual lenses and fast cameras! And thanks to the great people here who persuaded me to get a NEX!

Last edited by philslizzy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, really nice pictures! If only the cameras had been as well designed and made as the lens . . . !