Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My favorite 135mm lens - CZJ Sonnar 135mm/4.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: My favorite 135mm lens - CZJ Sonnar 135mm/4.0 Reply with quote

We have been having a very wet and chilly spring so far this year and the forecast for this week is not good. So this afternoon when the clouds parted for a while I went out on a photowalk with my favorite 135mm lens. Which is also the oldest 135mm I own: the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm/4.0. This is a 1950's "Aluminum" version (what is the metal really?).

I own six (I think...) different 135mm lenses of which the Sonnar is probably the oldest. And also the best in my humble opinion. Although the Schneider Tele-Xenar comes close.

Anyway, not too far from where I live there is a good sized pond with an island in the middle connected with bridges on both sides. Always a good place to find various water birds. Nothing exotic, but always something. Came across this group of four ducks. They stayed together so I suspect these are juveniles? I am no biologist. Anyway, they allowed me to come closer than I thought they would. Just very humble "duck pictures" but not bad for a 60+ year old lens.

Olympus E-M1 Mark II, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm/4.0 @5.6, ISO 200. Auto white balance, adjusted the white balance on the raw file of the first picture a little to 5250K in order to warm it up a bit. Second picture as shot.

Regards, C

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fine lens with a long period of providing excellent images.
You are obviously enjoying this wonderful glass
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wings!
Similar to our blue winged teal which are a shade tinier, and a fine pot duck,
provided there's a few grouse to add to the pot.
Nice photo's. I can appreciate the effort that went into getting them-ducks can be especially wary in spring time.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sonnar 135's are nice. Sharp an contrasty wide open makes them easy to focus. That's a mama duck with her three young ones. Must have been an early nest if you made it this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos and lens, one of my favorites also.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
These sonnar 135's are nice. Sharp an contrasty wide open makes them easy to focus. That's a mama duck with her three young ones. Must have been an early nest if you made it this year.

I took this picture yesterday, so it must have been an early nest. I find that a type of photography I enjoy is what I call "animal portraiture". Around here these are your run of the mill, see them every day ducks. The males are a different coloring of course. At this location you will sometimes come across an invasive species that I am told is called an Egyptian goose, but not today. And of course the "Eurasian Coot" is very common around here. These coots are remarkably aggressive towards other birds, even larger ones.

Right around the corner from where I live there is pond with a small group of geese that can be found there pretty much year round. They require something a little longer than 135mm though. Not in terms of dangerous although I am a little careful when they are close, but because they tend to settle in a spot that I can't easily get close to. One of these days I intend to go out with my (new to me) Canon FDn 300mm 5.6 and see what I can do.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My favorite 135mm lens - CZJ Sonnar 135mm/4.0 Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Sonnar 135mm/4.0. This is a 1950's "Aluminum" version

Is it the M42 mount version?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quack quack Happy Dog

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My favorite 135mm lens - CZJ Sonnar 135mm/4.0 Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
connloyalist wrote:
Sonnar 135mm/4.0. This is a 1950's "Aluminum" version

Is it the M42 mount version?

Yes, it is the M42 version.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

I took this picture yesterday, so it must have been an early nest. I find that a type of photography I enjoy is what I call "animal portraiture". Around here these are your run of the mill, see them every day ducks. The males are a different coloring of course. At this location you will sometimes come across an invasive species that I am told is called an Egyptian goose, but not today. And of course the "Eurasian Coot" is very common around here. These coots are remarkably aggressive towards other birds, even larger ones.

Right around the corner from where I live there is pond with a small group of geese that can be found there pretty much year round. They require something a little longer than 135mm though. Not in terms of dangerous although I am a little careful when they are close, but because they tend to settle in a spot that I can't easily get close to. One of these days I intend to go out with my (new to me) Canon FDn 300mm 5.6 and see what I can do.

Regards, C.

Coots are very possessive of their pond indeed Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, and I sold my copy a few months ago to a friend for £20. Last night I was looking at buying another..... for £40 Rolling Eyes I resisted, but I do miss that lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It's a great lens, and I sold my copy a few months ago to a friend for £20. Last night I was looking at buying another..... for £40 Rolling Eyes I resisted, but I do miss that lens.

Hahaha - I know that feeling. Have done it a couple of times
Tom