Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 with examples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 with examples Reply with quote

Scored a mint conditioned Helios 44-2 lately. The serial number is N0050799. According to some sources the N00xxx number series were reserved for political figures. Not sure if it is true. Nevertheless, I am enjoying shooting it. Flares easily but bokeh is crazy creamy. Some examples shown here.

Here are some examples shot with the lens.

The first of a spring by Dr.JS, on Flickr

Moody Music by Dr.JS, on Flickr

Remnants of winter by Dr.JS, on Flickr[img]

Last edited by drjs on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44-2 with examples Reply with quote

A very nice lens you have there. This copy is from the first 2 years of production, when the Helios-44 was changed to 44-2. A rare piece to find in such great shape. It should still be in the M39 mount, right ? If not, then probably someone has changed the mount in later years Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44-2 with examples Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
A very nice lens you have there. This copy is from the first 2 years of production, when the Helios-44 was changed to 44-2. A rare piece to find in such great shape. It should still be in the M39 mount, right ? If not, then probably someone has changed the mount in later years Smile.

Hmm.. Mine came with a M42 mount on a Zenit-E camera with the matching leatherette case. The camera was also made in 1971 so I think the mount is original. I will do more research however. Thanks for the comment!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44-2 is my favorite Helios 44. Very Happy

Regarding the 00xxx numbering on USSR lenses. This has been discussed in a longer thread here before and concluded with that this looks like false rumors. The amount of lenses with numbers with 0xxxxx, 00xxxx, 000xxx and 0000xx is quite big and there has also been statements from secure sources that this is false information if I remember correct. I guess someone can fill in more details, or the old thread may show up in search. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what are the differences between all of them? I have got Helios 44M 58mm F2.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fabulous lens, everyone goes on about the swirly bokeh, I rarely see it, just lovely creamy bokeh like your pictures here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
A fabulous lens, everyone goes on about the swirly bokeh, I rarely see it, just lovely creamy bokeh like your pictures here.

Bokeh is weird because you can have very swirly like here:

Or not so much as here:

Both taken with helios 44m 58mm F2.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got a bunch of 44M's and 44-2's and it seems there is a set of circumstances where swirly bokeh happens, but mainly I get creamy. one day I'll grab them all and do some experimenting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
and what are the differences between all of them? I have got Helios 44M 58mm F2.0

The differences are in the resolution and the coating. In each version, usually improved, they marked these improvements through the last number, that it is separated by a dash. I have no knowledge that any changes in the optical formula.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Helios-44

Happy shots!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks I am pretty pleased with mine no plan to change it plus it was in my family since new. My dad bought it with zenit TTL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Yes, I've got a bunch of 44M's and 44-2's and it seems there is a set of circumstances where swirly bokeh happens, but mainly I get creamy. one day I'll grab them all and do some experimenting.

The circumstances to get swirly Helios 44 bokeh are -

wide open
lots of bright and dark spots in the background, e.g. foliage with little bits of sky peeking thru

It only works when focusing at a specific range, I forget exactly but it's fairly close, I found it by turning on Live View and experimenting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens looks like new, and the pictures shown are really sharp. Really nice find!!

I have had several 44M versions, and there is some difference in performance, they don't all produce the same quality.....
The one i have now is sharp, but looks like a train has run over it, i don't mind, it's the final result that counts, and it does swirl!!

Autumn joy by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Your lens looks like new, and the pictures shown are really sharp. Really nice find!!

I have had several 44M versions, and there is some difference in performance, they don't all produce the same quality.....
The one i have now is sharp, but looks like a train has run over it, i don't mind, it's the final result that counts, and it does swirl!!

Autumn joy by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

It is not the age it counts, rather the picture it makes. Smile Awesome capture! I love it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
The 44-2 is my favorite Helios 44. Very Happy

Regarding the 00xxx numbering on USSR lenses. This has been discussed in a longer thread here before and concluded with that this looks like false rumors. The amount of lenses with numbers with 0xxxxx, 00xxxx, 000xxx and 0000xx is quite big and there has also been statements from secure sources that this is false information if I remember correct. I guess someone can fill in more details, or the old thread may show up in search. Wink

Bummer. I guess I am not a political leader after-all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

The circumstances to get swirly Helios 44 bokeh are -

wide open
lots of bright and dark spots in the background, e.g. foliage with little bits of sky peeking thru

It only works when focusing at a specific range, I forget exactly but it's fairly close, I found it by turning on Live View and experimenting.

I will try under those conditions. Also I wonder if a full frame would be better than APS-C to produce the swirling bokeh. My images are shot on Canon 550D.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anktonio wrote:
nurkov wrote:

The differences are in the resolution and the coating. In each version, usually improved, they marked these improvements through the last number, that it is separated by a dash. I have no knowledge that any changes in the optical formula.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Helios-44

Happy shots!

I also have a Zenitar M2S which is the MC replacement of the Helios-44. The lens is sharp, more flare resistant but doesn't have character like my Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

I will try under those conditions. Also I wonder if a full frame would be better than APS-C to produce the swirling bokeh. My images are shot on Canon 550D.

Full frame is definitely better, it mostly happens on the edges. But you can still get it on APS-C bodies, my shot was from a Canon 1000D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not noticed much of a swirly bokeh on my 44/2 , but it does produce it ,its there, all depends on a background I think. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on - Aperture, background, DoF. Defocused background can be as wild....

Or, as smooth as ye like...

PS The last three photos were taken with the same 44-2 (almost) as drjs - s/n Noo56xxx Cool