Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Orestor 135mm f2.8 Bokeh Monster.Preset Zebra.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Meyer Orestor 135mm f2.8 Bokeh Monster.Preset Zebra. Reply with quote

Hi, would like to thank MF member who introduced me to Jan Loos from whom I purchased this lens that I have waited for until price and conditions were right,sorry I have forgotten his name for I am very pleased, lens is in mint condition and at $150 was to me a great bargain.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really great lens imho, hope you enjoy her!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian,the flora are popping out in this part of Western Canada and can't wait to try it against some of my many Macro combinations.Regards

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the very best lenses for flower shots imho.

Alright, I suck at shooting flowers, but you get the idea, beautiful colours and bokeh, typically Meyer.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
One of the very best lenses for flower shots imho.

Alright, I suck at shooting flowers, but you get the idea, beautiful colours and bokeh, typically Meyer.

LOL Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lovely lens and produces very good results but not quite razor sharp compared to my CZJ 135mm Sonnar (and some others)....that's if you want to use it in shots where sharpness is important. Same for it's zebra brothers the 50mm and 200mm.
It is capable of a bit of pop as in this snap I took last month:-

Meyer 135mm Zebra, Agfa Vista £1, supermarket dev and scan, cropped.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good copy can match the Sonnar for sharpness, but out of the 5 I've had only one was that sharp and it was the oldest one.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
A good copy can match the Sonnar for sharpness, but out of the 5 I've had only one was that sharp and it was the oldest one.

Well you could be right, but what are the odds of my 50mm, 135mm and 200mm Meyer Zebras being bad copies Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the sonnar so will take them both out soon and be able to give you my opinion.Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I have admired many of your pics and I suck at landscapes,birds,insect macros and portraits.I sell mine to interior designers and clients who go to flower shows.It pays for my expensive taste in cameras and lenses.Regards. PS. it also helps to have about $5000 of PP software and 32GB of ram.

Last edited by kryss on Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many versions, from the meyer zebra to the latest 6-blade mc pentacon - which is the one I kept, because of lower resell value vs barely distinguishable iq- all were pretty sharp (I never had a sonnar to compare) when I nailed the focus perfectly, which, strangely, happened a bit less often with these than with other 135s.
Anyway a lovely lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Kryss it looks like you have a very good copy, and it's a bit pointless in producing this link from Spotmatic when he said:-

"The lens surely is a keeper. It may not be the sharpest in my bag but it would lose a lot of its unique characteristics if it was completely computer-designed to provide the best sharpness. I often call this "designed completely dead" to describe modern lenses without a soul. Aberrations are not always unwanted!"

http://forum.mflenses.com/135mm-f-2-8-meyer-orestor-bokeh-test-t9719,highlight,%2B135mm+%2Btest.html

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Excalibur but some were shot with Pentax 20D and maybe F35-70 definitely at f5.6,and others with Fuji S100 fs,I have not yet had chance to use Bokeh monster but will post soon with comparison using Sonnar.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, hope you don't mind.kryss

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that kryss, cheers. PP is not one of my strengths.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Ian,I know you like B&W so Agfa APX Pro 100 simulation + toning.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I have not yet had chance to use Bokeh monster but will post soon with comparison using Sonnar.

For interest to others as the breech lock Canon 135mm f3.5 has been mentioned recently.....in my own unscientific tests as I just wanted to know which lenses I take on holiday for sharpness for shots of scenery and grandchildren esp as I want to crop if I changed my mind and still have a sharp picture......and the Canon was sharper, about the same as the Sonnar.
Well just to mention about the Canon and Sonnar:- these lenses were better than my Epson V750 film scanner and I couldn't see which was better on crops (equivalent of a 5ft wide picure)....but the scanner was good enough to show which lenses were worse (in comparison).

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you're happy with it! It was me who introduced you to him, right after you wanted to buy mine, which i had just sold...

It all worked out great, it's a great forum! Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks TL one,certainly could not have got a better one.Regards.