Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pullin London 14C/5682 100mm f/2.8 Pulnar No. F7140
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Pullin London 14C/5682 100mm f/2.8 Pulnar No. F7140 Reply with quote

I acquired a brand new set of cells that are a complete mystery as I can find no info at all. Pullin were a maker of lenses and projectors but I can only find reference to their projection lenses.

The front cell carries the text: 'Pullin London 14C/5682 100mm f/2.8 Pulnar No. F7140' and the glass has blue coatings, both front and rear cells show four clear reflections, but in different layouts, the front cell has the reflections in two pairs, the rear one has a closely spaced set of three then one on it's own, so it's assymetrical but I have no idea what the optical schema might be.

Front cell has threads that look to be 40mm and the rear looks to be 36mm so it might fit a #1 shutter with a bit of luck.

Anyone ever seen a Pullin lens in shutter before? Can anyone decipher anything about it's layout from the reflections?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all the Vade Mecum has to say, it suggests the 2.8/100 Pulnar is a projector lens but I doubt what I have is a projector lens:

Quote:
Pullin Optical Co, High Wycombe and London, UK.
They were originally Measuring Instruments Pullin (MIP) but began to produce enlargers about 1946 (B.J.A.
1947, M.C.M. 12/1946, p31) and made projector lenses to fit, as well as photographic rangefinders, exposure
meters, and acted as Linhof agents. Mr H.W. Lee was with them for a period postwar. They later became part
of the Rank Organization in 1964, and as Pullin were agents for Nikon, Rank took this on, arranging servicing
and so on.
The most common Pullin item for collectors is a Pulnar f2.8 100mm (c.4in) slide projector lens, often ex-WD.
It has M39x26 thread but no iris or focus scale. It was seen at No47,20x. It was an early postwar product,
(MCM Dec 1946, B.J.A. 1950, p475advert.) The Pulnar was listed in 1955 as made in f2.8, 50, 100, 150mm.
There is a notice of the Pullin 35mm slide projector in B.J.A. 1947, p188, and the lenses were f2.8 in 8 foci
from 2in to 6in. They gave excellent definition and clarity. One of these has been reported in alloy and black
finish at Projection Pulnar f2.8/F=2" (50mm) No F104x.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of some help. Is it the same lens??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, 14C/5682 smells of MoD. Until proven otherwise, I'd vote for a projection lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advert, very interesting.

I thought the same dan, both of my wartime copies of the Ross 4/5" have a similar code.

Turns out the cells go straight into a #1 shutter and it covers all of the ground glass on my Century Graphic. Sadly I don't have a #1 with a diaphragm, just a Polaroid MP4 type Copal, so I'll need to find a normal #1 for it.

Looks pretty good on the Century methinks:

Just to confirm the cell spacing in a #1 is correct, I stuck it on a set of bellows with my NEX-3. It is quite sharp wide open, but of course I will never shoot it wide open on the Century. Contrast is a bit low but I expect both sharpness and contrast improve a good deal when it's stopped down. Bokeh is very smooth and the dof is tiny. I wonder what optical schema it has, Tessar types don't usually have such smooth bokeh so it might be something else. Judging by how sharp it is wide open, I expect it will be very sharp stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a cardboard aperture disk with a 12mm hole in it, which is approx f8 so I could try this lens in my apertureless Copal #1.

Wow is this thing sharp, a lot sharper than my Xenar 3.5/105.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Great pictures, Very very sharp. I have been wanting to get into large format... oh the joys. What are you using to scan those in?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks for the kind words. They are 6x9s scanned on an old Epson 3200. I need to get a better scanner asap, this one is on it's last legs. Either a v500 or v700 is what I need I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is especially good! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. It was a gray horrid day, which I think you can see in the pics, hopefully we will have some actual sunshine soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a mint fully working Synchro-Compur #1 for a really good price so finally I can put this lens to good use. I expect this will become my 'normal' lens, supplanting my Xenar 3.5/105.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been raining no-stop for days on end here, but there was a brief break in the rain yesterday and I managed to make a couple of test shots on Kodak Industrex MX125 x-ray film. First one is at f16, second one is f2.8. I think this is an excellent lens, really sharp and with excellent contrast. Bokeh is pleasantly smooth, I think this is going to be my new 'normal' lens for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last two pictures are excellent , not proof it this is normal lens or not, due projection lenses can be good as or even better than photographic lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is true, I have had some excellent results from projector lenses. Whatever this lens was intended to be used for, it was definitely designed to fit a standard #1 shutter, which does suggest camera use. Unless someone uncovers some Pullin documentation (company doesn't exist anymore, it was absorbed into the Rank corporation) or knows of a source of info on the Ministry contract numbers, it will remain a mystery.

It's just a nice feeling to have a British lens to use rather than the usual Schneider, Rodenstock etc.

The fact it's a mysterious one just adds to the nice feeling for me, so whether or not I ever find out what it was originally made for isn't that important.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one on the kodak Industrex, wide open at 2.8:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one on Industrex, at f16. Came out a bit wierd in tonality but has a nice dimensionality I think: