Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual camera Nikon discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Manual camera Nikon discussion Reply with quote

Hello, I own the Nikon z 50 mirrorless camera, and just received my Nikon z 6 11. I wonder why Nikon could give you a better manual, at least to tell you what the controls do and how to understand to use the controls. I know you can download a better reference manual, but I prefer if they could print and send you one. The one that they give you looks cheap. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one online, all 576 pages of it within ten seconds of googling 'manual for Nikon Z 50'

Ken Rockwell has a useful feature on it too where he goes through the basics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual camera Nikon discussion Reply with quote

xenfirm wrote:
Hello, I own the Nikon z 50 mirrorless camera, and just received my Nikon z 6 11. I wonder why Nikon could give you a better manual, at least to tell you what the controls do and how to understand to use the controls. I know you can download a better reference manual, but I prefer if they could print and send you one. The one that they give you looks cheap. Just a thought.

I'm with you on that one, nothing like a ppaer manual. I like to annotate on the margins and make notes.
Luckily my Pentax cameras came with paper manuals.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome xenfirm

I heartily agree books are the best random access medium for reading; electronic readers lack the functionality.

For me looking at the camera settings menus on the camera itself is the best way to learn about the options.

You'd probably probably use the cheapest way to print a million or more copies to bundle with your camera although an illuminated manuscript might be a good selling point. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenfirm wrote:
Hello, I ... just received my Nikon z 6 11. I wonder why Nikon could give you a better manual, at least to tell you what the controls do and how to understand to use the controls.

philslizzy wrote:
I found one online, all 576 pages of it within ten seconds of googling 'manual for Nikon Z 50'

Well, I don't know the Nikon manuals, but I know that the Sony manuals are quite useless for teaching you photography. Big paper books of very limited practical value ...

Back in the 1970s Nikon as well as Minolta used to print small, but very useful user manuals for their SLRs. Could and should be done also these days ...

Twelve years ago I published a book about the then state-of-the-art Sony A900, and within months it was completely sold out. Not much later used samples of the book were sold (I mean sold, not just offered!) for >400 EUR. Crazy. Therefore I made it available as a PDF, for free ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth it to ask nikon about a hard copy manual.
My latest nikon D-810 came with a 502 page manual.

There are a couple of non-nikon books about the Z series mirrorless cameras around.

As to the D-810 manual, parts of it seem to be worded a little strangely- I suspect a google type translator here.
It is not the equal of the old film camera manuals like the nikon F2 manual, but it covers a ton of features that the F2 never had.

Stephan mentioned books on photography. I agree camera manuals should try to cover enough of the basics to get someone started and off the ground so to speak. There are other books on general photography that will help with honing skills.

If you can find these film era books, they will help a lot with the basics.
Here are a couple I found useful:

Focal Press version of the Ilford manual of photography.
The copy I am now using has dropped the Ilford from the title and it is simply "The Manual Of Photography".
It is the one to look for as it seems to be the latest version.

The 35mm Handbook by Michael Freeman.

While both are film era books, they cover much of the basics that any manual focus lens user SHOULD know.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello xenfirm, and welcome. Here´s probably what you´re looking for. Some of the manuals offered there are ring binders, some are bound books. Probably the original Nikon content, but not an original manual from Nikon.

https://www.camera-manual.com/nikon-z-6-ii-manual-30440

My D7100 from 2014 came with a full reference manual in paper. Kind of useful and handy in size, a bit abstract though just in the way Doc Sharptail describes it in his post above.

So it´s a new camera that came without full manual? Looks irritating at first, but Nikon probably realized that few people actually read them and decided to do someting good for the environment. Or so. I´d rather go for a good aftermarket camera guide that in most cases covers all functions you´d ever need anyway, plus shows practical appliations and is a more entertaining read on top of it. If there´s really a situation where that book fails, there´s still the pdf manual on the computer.