Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 black MC Exakta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 black MC Exakta Reply with quote

#4 and #11 are wide open , others at F8-F11 on SONY NEX-3

Hi-res images are here

[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Nice Shots - Question for You Reply with quote

Atilla,

I just acquired this same lens with the Exakta mount. It is the all aluminum model with 12 blades. I am waiting on parts to perform the reversible mod so I can use it on my F-Mount. The copy I have looks very good. Can't see any marks on lenses, little if any dust inside, and aperture and focus ring turns smoothly - except that the Apertere ony turns to f8. Feels like a hard stop at 8.

How do you get this to go past f8? is there a trick to it? Or does it really just go from 2.8 to 8?

If I posted this in the wrong place please forgive me and move to the appropriate place.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have pre-set lens, one ring set smallest aperture from f2.8 to F16 , your lens actually set to F8, another ring change aperture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVh0fpQNig

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85401-what-does-preset-mean-lens-description.html

This thread present latest multi coated lens, your lens has single coating, probably no difference, probably shows weaker contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning IQ from the humble Tessar!

I have a Zebra one, it's excellent but not as good as this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfectly sharp images

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Figured it out Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's gentlemen. I think this thing actually has 14 blades. I am looking forward to the opportunity to take some shots with it. I will have to use the "Quick Exakta to Nikon" method to try it out. Waiting on my m39 to Nikon adapter and rubber o-rings.

The problem was that I didn't know how to operate the lens. To switch apertures, you actually have to pull the aperture ring back toward you and turn, then it clicks in place.

I really hope the m39/o-ring adapter works well. I want to be able to get some nice landscape and close up pics with it. The pictures I have seen from others look great.

Hey, do you guys get in-camera metering with your manual lenses? Nikon?

Have a great week!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ian, Pepes ! Basic Nikon cameras not meter with manual lenses, more advanced more expensive one do metering. Look forward your shoots, use F8 to infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rendering from Tessar 2.8/50 is always very elegant: moderate contrast, rich tonal shadings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The rendering from Tessar 2.8/50 is always very elegant: moderate contrast, rich tonal shadings.

This is very nice to hear from you , due you have so many fine lenses , cameras, so your positive opinion is very important, I heard several time just a Tessar... from people what is really wrong an hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orio wrote:

This is very nice to hear from you , due you have so many fine lenses , cameras, so your positive opinion is very important, I heard several time just a Tessar... from people what is really wrong an hurt.

I am a fan of Tessar Smile
Subject is important, these photos, architecture, old buildings, or still life, are the perfect subject for Tessar, because they have many subtle shades, pastel colours.
Other subjects like landscapes of green mountains, blue sea etc, maybe will do better with more modern lens design.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Tessar fan too. Last week or so I've been enjoying using an Industar-61 on my NEX. I shot natural subjects, trees, rivers, but it can't give any feedback on Orio's assertion as it was HDR work.

I will try some shots o nature if it would be useful. Orio, can you suggest what sort of sot and subject more precisely?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I am a Tessar fan too. Last week or so I've been enjoying using an Industar-61 on my NEX. I shot natural subjects, trees, rivers, but it can't give any feedback on Orio's assertion as it was HDR work.
I will try some shots o nature if it would be useful. Orio, can you suggest what sort of sot and subject more precisely?

As you know, the higher the contrast, the more drastic the shifts between adjacent tones. This is true for colour as it is for luminance.
High contrast lenses can make dull subjects "come alive" because they take similar tones apart, making their difference more noticeable, but losing subtle intermediate shades in the process.
What I meant is that, well, you don't have many subtle shades in a blade of grass or in a lake's water. So strong contrast lenses are welcome as they can make individual parts "come out"
and saturation get rich without losing anything.
On the contrary, on the surface of old Marbles and granites, on the skin of apples, pears, and peaches, you have rich nuances of subtle tones.
So if you are like me, you don't want to lose those. A lens with moderate contrast curve preserves them better. And if the daylight is favorable, as in the case of these Attila pictures,
you get both the nuances and a good contrast.
That is it, since Tessar (I mean the classic Tessar, not the modern versions such as the Tele-Tessar) has milder contrast curve than typical contemporary lens (gaussian),
it does better with subjects textured with rich subtle nuances. At least, this is my perception!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, and I would tend to agree with you, that older designs like the Tessar do seem more nuanced in tonality, I think the Sonnar is another example.

I will make some shots in the coming days to see if I can illustrate this.

Thankyou for the explanation, was most useful as it fits with my own unscientific observations.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great series Attila. and Nice explanation Orio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Attila, number 5 is just lovely...such fantastic light Smile