Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with a Carl Zeiss Jena 5.8cm f/2 T Biotar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Help with a Carl Zeiss Jena 5.8cm f/2 T Biotar Reply with quote

Hello,

My father gave me his old Exakta II with this lens:

As far as I can gather from other post on this forum, it's a pre-war 17-blade version, made between 1945 and 1949. Anything else to know about this lens?

The focusing ring is very stiff in the middle of the range - any help on how to loosen it by myself? I know that I could get it checked and cleaned by someone who knows lenses like these, but given I don't know about any local shops in Denmark that would do that, it would probably be quite expensive for me.

Is it worth getting an adapter for a Canon (at the moment a 1Ds III)?
And has anyone tried these lenses for video? The 17-blade aperture with no stops, and a focusing ring with a long throw make it seem like a fun option (if the focusing ring worked better).

Last edited by ullaulla on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone see the pictures? I could see them when editing the post, but not after I submitted it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Your first post can't contain images, as an antispam measure, from now on you'll be fine.

I can't give much advice about the stiff focus, but someone wiser then I will probably post before long.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an very good idea to buy an adapter imho
These Biotar lenses have an pretty unique rendering and have a very cool, sometimes slightly swirly bokeh
It's always a matter of taste but I would highly recommend that!

Stiff focus sucks of course - unfortunately there is no easy way to fix that as far as I know.
But it's really worth fixing the lens imo. You could easily resell it without loss afterwards if you don't like it.

You could try to get a Helios 44-2 58mm F2 (optically almost identical, M42 mount) in good contion instead - it's cheap but has a similar character
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-xx-pics-add-yours-t29321.html

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:16 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Lens value is 200-300 USD , rare sought after lens, worth to pay proper fixing cost.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all Smile

A bit crazy that the value is so high. I'll try to get my hands on an adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ullaulla wrote:

crazy ? how much a new lens what is available in every shop ? respect a bit better historical item like this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stiff focus and aperture rings are common with old Zeiss lenses. The oil they used broke down after 30-40 years and left behind the thickening agent which increases friction and gets worse over time. This is a great lens and worth getting it serviced -- you will be delighted. Don't try it yourself. A modern lens of this quality is very expensive. You can find adapters on eBay for just a few dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually this type of the Biotar lies in 3,2xx,xxx-3,4xx,xxx number range.
This 3,1 specimen is quite an early post-war, rarely seen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it came from family should be reason enough to have it serviced, remember to post pics when you get it back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will echo what others have mentioned - definitely worth having it fix.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ullaulla wrote:

crazy ? how much a new lens what is available in every shop ? respect a bit better historical item like this.

Only crazy in the sense that my father was never much into photography, and hence I'm a bit surprised that he has a lens that is rarer than the common kit lenses that his other stuff is.
That historical lenses can be valuable, is not that surprising Smile

With regards to service, does anyone have a good suggestion to a service lab in Europe that can be recommended with a task like this? Sending it outside Europe will be to expensive with regards to taxes, VAT, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

Miles fixed my Biotar, pretty much the same as yours.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good repair man too, based at Hungary, select what is best for you , thank you for think about rescue Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

Miles fixed my Biotar, pretty much the same as yours.

Thanks, contacted for a quote Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a post war version for $10, you'll not be disappointed.

good luck with the repairs
Smile

-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for quotes - looks like Miles could get busy.

My version is also a 17-blade lens, but someone (sorry, can't see who just now) quoted the serial numbers as indicative of age. Mine lies within the latter end of that range. Is there a site with more information?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
My version is also a 17-blade lens, but someone (sorry, can't see who just now) quoted the serial numbers as indicative of age. Mine lies within the latter end of that range. Is there a site with more information?

Carl Zeiss Jena lenses date by serial number
3,000,000-3,200,000: 1945-1949
3,200,000-3,470,000: 1949-1952
3,470,000-4,000,000: 1952-1955
4,000,000-5,000,000: 1955-1958
5,000,000-6,000,000: 1958-1961
6,000,000-7,000,000: 1961-1964
7,000,000-8,000,000: 1964-1967
8,000,000-9,000,000: 1967-1970
9,000,000-10,000,000: 1970-1975

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk really reasonable prices.
He did some magical work on two of my lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tond,

thanks for the info. Makes mine in the 1952-55 vintage. Looking forward to using it again after some TLC (or CLA).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Tonda! Mine is 5,3xx,xxx so it's from 58-61.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just join the forum..

I acquired the same model as yours in M42 mount recently and been disassembly it to cleaned the oily blades..
The serial is 3113XXX which I supposed came in the same era as yours, came with so so many bubbles.. even there's 1 bubbles exposed in the front element.

In my copy the main body/housing (the part where to put filter on, is actually a single piece that hold everything else and also a helicoid) is made of aluminum not brass as yours.
afaik, brass helicoid is better than aluminum.. wonder if the version for Exakta is better in material and quality..

Anyway, in this design Zeiss use 2 screw that functioned as helicoid guides and also a stopper that may came to loose so it get frictioned with the body or the outer casing (the one with hyperfocal marks).. in your case, this might be the problem that cause the focusing ring is stiff in the middle of the range.

To fix this, you can detach the casing by unscrew 3 tiny screw and you'll see the stopper.
adjust so it won't get friction with the body or casing, put some sticky grease to hold it if you want and your done..

but if that not the case, better sent it for repair because the helicoid likely need to re-lube.
hope this can help..